cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Customization

I know we can automatically approve returns for certain reasons, but is there any way to just notify you and let you decide on a return for reasons such as "doesn't fit", "I changed my mind", or any of the other non-compulsory reasons that aren't covered under the BPP?  I do have a 30 day return policy, but I would like a little lee way sometimes, and handle my return requests manually for those non BPP issues.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Return Customization

@lakeland_music 

Basically, if you accept returns you accept them for any reason. 

You can forestall the process  the auto process a bit by requiring a "return authorization number" .  It is in your selling preferences someplace. 

In general from a previous post is a simplistic recap of the seller's choices for returns:

a) No returns
A seller is given the opportunity to deny an eBay return request ONLY if the buyer chooses from the dropdown menu a reason that is considered a 'remorse' reason. These may include such things as I changed my mind, found it cheaper, the plate doesn't match my rug, etc.

A buyer can then pursue other avenues by claiming "not as described" with their payment provider. PayPal will require the buyer to return it at their expense, a c.card provider may or may not require a return at all before the buyer is refunded (from your proceeds).

A "no returns" policy is sometimes advantageous for a seller who sells items that are authenticated, as in some circumstances they become a 'final sale'.

b) accept returns, buyer pays shipping (select days)

When this option is selected, a seller takes returns for any reason. The 'buyer pays shipping' part ONLY applies to those that a 'remorse' reason was selected. The seller pays for any 'not as described' choices made by the buyer. It can be tricky sometimes.

For example, if the buyer says and chooses (from the menu) didn't fit, that is considered a remorse reason, and the buyer must pay to return. If the buyer chooses "doesn't match the description" and states doesn't fit, the same claim for the same item becomes by default a 'not as described' reason the the seller must fund the return or suffer the consequences.

It is not a surprise that buyers know how to get the return paid by the seller. In the example of your "as is", and it is described exactly, the buyer can still file a 'doesn't match the description' claim and the auto system clicks in with the same predictable outcome. It this case, it doesn't matter what they send back, the seller refunds in full.

c) Free returns (select days)

The seller must issue a label or fund a return when the return request is made for any reason. Buyers can still file 'not as described' claims or changed my mind after they have used your product for a while. The seller pays for the return shipping either way.

The only advantage of this is that (if other qualifications are met) the seller may deduct up to 50% of the item price when giving a refund if the item is returned in a different condition. That way, if you sell a $1000 bracelet, and the buyer sends back a rubber band instead, you only have to refund $500.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Selling-As-Is/m-p/33367913

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Return Customization

That's a shame.  If there's an actual problem I have no problem automatically accepting them.   There's just certain situations like I had today where the buyer had a different fitment, I've gotten several items back damaged for this reason. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply