cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Claim "Not As Described"? What Do You Do?

I am asking fellow sellers what you do in a case like this:

An item is sold that has certain compatibility requirements, let's say, an electronic accessory for a TV. The listing states that buyers are responsible for researching whether or not the item is compatible with their TV and there is no return for buying a non-compatible item.

So customer buys two items and finds they will not work with their TV and then submits a claim to Ebay that the product "Does Not Work" and it was "Not As Described" and now I'm expected to issue a refund for both the items and shipping costs both ways. I have no problem refunding the items if returned in the original condition, but feel I should not have to pay to have them returned to me nor should I refund the original shipping (which is true and not inflated).

The only options Ebay gives me are:

1)  pay all shipping and refund all costs to buyer, or

2) report the buyer for violating Ebay policy

I'd really like another option. I don't like to report people but feel I have no option here and the buyer really has violated policy by claiming the items were not as described and defective. By their own admittance, they say that they were told by their TV manufacturer that said item was compatible with their TV but failed to mention that it really wasn't. And this is my fault?

What are your thoughts? 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I'd really like another option.

@emplehod-sales 

So would all sellers. The best option for you is to send a Return label, at your expense. Do not refund until your item is back to you. There's no way around losing an Item Not As Described case. You can always report the buyer later for misusing the MBG. Too many of those and their returns ability will be hindered.

For what it's worth... I find that if an item sells once, it will again. Good luck!

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@emplehod-sales wrote:

What are your thoughts? 

If you want the items back before refunding, I'd accept the return and send them a shipping label.

If you don't and buyer has Ebay step in, they could refund the buyer from your Pay Pal account and let them keep the items.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

The worst part is these increase our return % which can result in ebay charging us extra 5% fee per month for being below standard... They do this to me ALL the time, some even state in the return "hey do you sell this (other size) because I'd like to exchange..."

Sometimes I want to say NO IT's the ONLY size I sell so there's NO CONFUSION! 

(oh and that happened b.c ppl would send it back stating wrong size)

Why didn't you check the size before ordering?

But anyway, what I have been known to do is to change condition of new item to New Other, and then add a few crucial details and specifics in the Condition Description box HOPING they MIGHT actually read it.

I might add something such as "Please make sure it is the correct Size for your application before ordering, thank you!"

Couldn't tell you if it helps but it doesn't hurt.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

It sucks , but ebay says its your fault and buyers can return for an reason. Sorry it happened to you , but ebay does not care about us sellers.
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

This is already listed in bold type:

NOTICE: 3D glasses are all different and must have a compatible TV set to work. Research your model before purchasing this because there will be no returns for buying the wrong item.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

This makes no sense and should be illegal.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Regardless of the outcome, will the buyer be able to leave negative feedback? I have maintained a 100% seller rating for years.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Another sale previously had the buyer claim an item was defective when I know it was not. I decided to refund them if they smashed the (computer component) item and sent a photo showing the label side up so I could confirm it was the one I sold. They sent a photo with the item label-side down and when I asked to flip it over and send the correct photo requested, they said "Darn! I threw everything away". This even after I specifically instructed them NOT to throw anything, including the shipping box, away until I instructed.

Now I'm supposed to give a full refund, but it says "once buyer returns the product", so doesn't this mean I won't have to since the can't return it?

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

"NOTICE: 3D glasses are all different and must have a compatible TV set to work. Research your model before purchasing this because there will be no returns for buying the wrong item."

Apparently they did research ("By their own admittance, they say that they were told by their TV manufacturer that said item was compatible with their TV...")

At any rate, there is no such policy as "no returns" when a buyer files a not as described case, even if they make everything up.

"And this is my fault?"

No.

You could put something like this in your listings;

Compatible Models are:
Sony KD....... TV MATERIAL
Sony ......
Sony KDL......
Sony KD.......
Sony XB.......

etc.

or "The Sony Active 3D glasses are compatible with most Bravia..."

Still, it wouldn't really matter what you put in the description. Ebay sides with buyers in not as described claims. (MBG)

-------------
Posting ID
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Like this? 

3dGlasses.png

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Time to research other selling websites, I guess.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

When a buyer opens a Not As Described case, the seller’s options are few. We all agreed to abide by eBay’s terms and polices as set forth in the User Agreement.

In the UA, sellers agree to allow eBay to decide all Money Back Guarantee claims, which includes the Not As Described case. Seller terms are superceded by the UA, even if your buyer may have falsely invoked the NAD claim. This is how it is and one of the risks of doing business on eBay. 

If you do not refund, and the buyer asks eBay to step in, you will receive a defect on your account, your Final Value fees are forfeited, and the buyer keeps the item.  So it is in your best interests to avoid these cases by offering a more buyer-friendly return policy if you continue selling on eBay.

Keep in mind that on eBay, it is “seller beware”, not “buyer beware”. Sellers accept the majority of the risk when choosing to sell here. It is best to have a plan for such shrinkage just as any brick-and-mortar business does. Good luck and sorry you encountered this circumstance.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I know it won't make you feel better - but there is no way around getting stuck paying the shipping both ways for a Not As Described claim unless you are a top rated seller, regardless of the validity of the claim and what the buyer says in messages separate from the return request.

It is super frustrating - but if this is your first one, don't let one bad buyer discourage you too much. You could go for 6 months and not get another return, legitimate or not.

If this is the $15 pair - you might have a buyer who is hoping you'll not bother requiring a return, since you're out nearly the value of the glasses if you have them return them between the shipping both ways and PP fees. Maybe they really are compatible for their TV and hoping to get a freebie.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Like this?
 One would think so,  

But

No
 in line with 'ebay reality' it works ....more like THIS as posted upthread>>>>>>>> Still, it wouldn't really matter what you put in the description. Ebay sides with buyers in not as described claims. eBay Money Back Guarantee policy 

Message 15 of 20
latest reply