cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reserve price question

I set a reserve price when I listed an item. But since it didn't sell, e-bay has relisted it automatically

three times. Does the reserve price still apply? Thank you!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Reserve price question

When an auction is re-listed, it will have the same optional listing upgrades as the original auction. I don't  see any reserve on your current auction nor on the earlier completed listings for it.  

Most sellers don't use reserves, they are an unnecessary expense, just start the bidding at the price you'd be willing to sell for.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

You do know that there is a fee for using a Reserve, and that that fee applies whether or not the item sells, right?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

using a reserve price costs a lot of money.enought that you should look into it and stop that relisting that is happening

the reserve fees are astronomical. I am not joking either

most of the sellers here do not use auctions but from what I have read you need to jump into action before you get hit with more and more dumb fees

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for your responses! Yes, I'm aware of the fee. 😞

I put $200 as the "buy now" price, and I received a bid of $17.

No way! 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I would just start the auction at or close to what you want then hope it get's into a bidding war 😀

It is one of the fee's that item does not sell you will still owe for the service and yes if it get's relisted with that option still on then it is charged. 

You might want to edit listing and see if you can uncheck the "automatically relist"  

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

A "Buy it now" (BIN) price is not a reserve.

In most categories, the BIN option disappears when the first bid is placed on an auction, and then the auction proceeds as if the BIN had never been there at all.

Therefore, when setting up an auction you should set the bid price at an amount that you are willing to sell for, in case you get just one bidder.

If you are not willing to sell the chair for $17 then you should end the listing right now.  Canceling an active listing has no penalty (other than possibly a small fee) BUT backing out of a completed auction can put a defect point on your account.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/ending-listing?id=4146

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@coastaltechsolution wrote:

I would just start the auction at or close to what you want then hope it get's into a bidding war 😀

The auction has failed to attract any bidders in 2 previous listings with opening bids under $20, so it's very unlikely to stir up a bidding war this time around.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I'm with @nobody*s_perfect... it sounds as if you're confusing a 'Reserve' with a 'Buy It Now' price.

Follow the instructions in post #7. Good luck to you.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@beecia 

You didn't set a reserve price, which is good.

When you us a reserve, you pay the fee for using it, even if the item doesn't sell.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@beecia wrote:

Thank you for your responses! Yes, I'm aware of the fee. 😞

I put $200 as the "buy now" price, and I received a bid of $17.

No way! 

If you wanted $200, you should have stared the auction around there.

If it doesn't get any more bids, it's going to sell for $17.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

When you made the listing you chose an auction starting price of $17 and you added a buy now $200. 

The first person that takes action on your listing can decide  if they want to buy it for $200 or if they want to place a bid for the max they would pay for that chair if they don't want it for $200.  In most listings when  a bid is placed the buy now disappears. The bidding has begun.  If nobody else comes along and places a bid then at the end of the listing the buyer wins the chair for $17.   Sooooo, yes way!  SHOULD have listed buy now only or made the auction starting price the least you will take.  

If you can't  be forced to ship then cancel the bid and end the listing and take the defect. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

It was just a pipe dream 😁

Message 13 of 13
latest reply