cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace active content in your listings now

We've been getting the emails that we need to replace the active content.  I have emailed ebay to ask them to explain this and all I get is referred to the email again. I list though ebay not third party and I upload my pictures from my compter.  I don't do anything fancy.  So what do I need to do?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Replace active content in your listings now

I get them as well, dont do anything. Just see what happens when they change it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I get them as well, dont do anything. Just see what happens when they change it.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

That's what I figured I would do.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@kbo5027

I scanned your 139 listings with this tool and all but 3 contain Active Content. http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentScanner.htm

Those listings contain an old InkFrog Showcase and an old InkFrog smart counter. InkFrog should have newer compliant tools available. If you no longer have an InkFrog account, then you can remove those codes yourself.  You can take your time because eBay won't begin blocking those relists for several months.

To fix those listings, click the EXAMINE button on each red or orange row and the Sandbox tool will open. Scroll down to open the "Filtered" tab where you can copy the HTML code from the Sandbox tool into the HTML tab of eBay's description editor.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@trading-post-619

I scanned your 67 listings on this id and they are all compliant. However, there are some that use a long row of tildes to make a line, and they don't wrap, so they prevent the page from being mobile friendly.  About 25 of those in a row would be the max for a phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thank you so much.  I have not used inkfrog for over a year, not sure why anything is showing up.  I will fix them  I have been trying to remember to click "see if mobile ready" when I list but I do forget.  Appreciate all your help.

Thanks

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

When I copy the new text it is still showing the inkfrog tags.  I have been removing them, is that the right thing to do?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@kbo5027

The code on the "Filtered" tab of the sandbox tool will be free of active content. However, the tool doesn't remove the credit tags. There is no harm in those tags.

If you don't want to see the credits, you can remove them manually, or, you can click "Custom"  at the top of the sandbox tool and checkmark the Inkfrog box in the form that opens. Then click the SCAN button to let the  sandbox tool remove those codes for you.  You can do whichever is easiest.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

All listings have been corrected.  Thanks again for your help.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@shipscript

I just wanted to say Thank You [insert emojis and exclamation points here] for providing these tools.

I didn't have any real active content, but my store links were non-compliant and I needed to add the viewport tag to all of my listings.

I was trying to do 850+ listings one by one because I was scared of FileExchange....but June is coming on quickly 🙂

I bit the bullet yesterday and used the Bulk Active Content editor yesterday to fix links and add the viewport. I ran 2 separate uploads (links didn't all need to be fixed) and the process went without a hitch.

Again ... Thanks 🙂 And, yes, I made a donation 🙂

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly

File Exchange has put me off for years as well. My thinking was that it was much too complicated to use or learn without someone to hold my hand. eBay had documentation, but one had to actually READ that stuff, and that is beyond my pay scale.

But I too bit the bullet, had a few chats with  @dollybeauty  and spent some time with File Exchange, and it's not really scary at all. It merely requires a number of steps, and is very particular about properly formatted data. So the Active Content Editor tool will put together everything needed, and all the seller needs to do is upload that file to File Exchange.

Then I had a few great beta testers who waded through my instuctions, made recommendations for screenshots and who showed where newbies needed more precise instructions, and that is why I like to send newbies through this instruction page.  It was written for them to remove some of the mystery.  Yes, it seems like a lot of steps, but that's because we show a lot of baby steps.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContent_support/BulkEditorInstructions.htm

We have found that File Exchange will not update all listings. If there are bids or the listing has ended, File Exchange will obviously not update. But additionally, older listings that have not been updated over the years to the new policies like UPC requirements and category changes will also be rejected and won't be updated until those other issues are resolved by the seller.  The guidance tools in the seller hub should assist with handling those other issues in bulk.

And finally, my server thanks you for your support (it almost ran out of memory last week, gasp, but we caught it in time).   I also need to tell it to send out thank you notes, it is SO socially inept!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I have got an email saying that I need to change active contest and i don't know what ebay want me to do so please let me know what they are saying

Thanks

Message 12 of 12
latest reply