cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remember when it was easy to list on Ebay?

Let me take you back to a time ladies and gentleman...a long time ago

Where sellers could easily list on Ebay.

They used techniques like.... A title....a description....and a price!

And...GASSSSPPP .... buyers found the items and bought them and in most cases, paid for them too! 

It was a glorious time. Sellers were not made to deal with endless drop down specifics forcing them to utter words of frustration and wave their hands like Michael J Fox at a Quilting Bee. 

Dear Ebay,  I miss those days.  I can still have them but those days are on Etsy.. Please Ebay... be like Etsy so I do not have to be AT Etsy....more than I already am.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Remember when it was easy to list on Ebay?

Ebay was fun up until 2008 in my opinion.  Then it all went to carp.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@stamplotsforyou 

Sellers took the time to describe accurately and honestly, shipped to arrive in decent time frame and buyers clicked purchase, it was actually a commitment to pay and then didn't have a bird when it was a day or 2 late or there was a scratch on the item only visible with a microscope and they didn't  call the FBI on you.  It feels like a million years ago!!! 

-Lotz

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@stamplotsforyou wrote:

Let me take you back to a time ladies and gentleman...a long time ago

Where sellers could easily list on Ebay.

They used techniques like.... A title....a description....and a price!

And...GASSSSPPP .... buyers found the items and bought them and in most cases, paid for them too! 

It was a glorious time. Sellers were not made to deal with endless drop down specifics forcing them to utter words of frustration and wave their hands like Michael J Fox at a Quilting Bee. 

Dear Ebay,  I miss those days.  I can still have them but those days are on Etsy.. Please Ebay... be like Etsy so I do not have to be AT Etsy....more than I already am.

I agree with you about eBay during the good years, but the comment about Michael J. Fox was offensive.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

it WAS easy to list; it WAS easy to sell; auction bidding wars a-plenty!...few worries, little stress....

That WAS the good times of eBay!!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@frodobagginskennedy  - I so agree, and shortly thereafter, I cut down on listing until listing items was zero.  I still have items that I should just donate 'cause eBay took the fun out of being a seller 😞

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Yes I do remember those days with great fondness.  I started buying on eBay in early 1996 and became a seller about a year later.  I wish I had a time machine so that I could go back to the good old days. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@frodobagginskennedy wrote:

Ebay was fun up until 2008 in my opinion.  Then it all went to carp.

I stopped being a regular eBay seller in the summer of 2008 when the feedback policy was changed so that sellers could no longer leave negative feedback for bad buyers.  Even though I always had fabulous buyers, I just sensed that this change would not lead to positive outcomes for us as sellers.  

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I didn't think you could say "carp"? For me I get nervous when I happen to mention that some new so called "improvements" are a real pain the bass.  open_mouth

-Lotz

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

You must be referring to the old days when Ebay was praised as the most friendly user platform...for sellers and buyers...ummh...long time ago...
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Easy?

A title, description and price?

And 50cents if you wanted a Gallery Photograph when buyers were searching for items?

And how much per photos On your listing?

And paying, how much in listing fees, for items over 10 dollars?

(we started them at 9.99)

And I paid 5 dollars listing fee, for one week.. for a 250 dollar item Ouch?

.. I can go on.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

It is still easy to list, many of us just don't have the motivation to pay eBay to host pictures and text. I can store all the pictures and text I want on google for free. I don't get the gripes about item specifics. If the search engine worked properly they are great for buyers who don't understand search engine basics. Realistically the gripe should be eBay's inability to run their site or configure a search engine.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply