cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red flag purchase? Tracking no work/they're on Vacation???

Purchased a camera. Seller said package was shipped Saturday am. Special message to me saying they would upload tracking number Sat afternoon. Tracking # provided is not valid. Initial shipping info said shipping via UPS/ then changed to USPS??

Tracking # provided is invalid (Monday PM) for UPS and USPS. Messaged seller, they apparently are out of town and feel they uploaded tracking number incorrectly but are not able to get to their info to correct until 1/26. Item paid on 1/19 - outside delivery date 1/27 per ebay.  16 feedback seller.......

Why would express/priority shipping take 8 days?  I asked the day they shipped and got "I can't help you - I'm out of the area until the 26th"???? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Red flag purchase? Tracking no work/they're on Vacation???

Even if they had sent you a nice reply rather than a scary obnoxious one, there's nothing you can do until afeter the etimated delivery date.  Then file an "Item not received" claim.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thank you, I was just wondering if this scenario sounds as a delay scam. Does anyone know how long funds with a new seller are held? Does it count on number of sales or number of months the seller has been active? Concerned about a stolen or fake sellers account here. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@stonevintage wrote:

Thank you, I was just wondering if this scenario sounds as a delay scam. Does anyone know how long funds with a new seller are held? Does it count on number of sales or number of months the seller has been active? Concerned about a stolen or fake sellers account here. 

Who cares how long funds are held? Why be concerned about a stolen or fake seller account? I presume the item qualifies for MBG so you are covered as a buyer regardless of the situation if you don't eventually receive the item and file a claim less than 30 days after the last estimated delivery date.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@stonevintage wrote:

Purchased a camera. Seller said package was shipped Saturday am. Special message to me saying they would upload tracking number Sat afternoon. Tracking # provided is not valid. Initial shipping info said shipping via UPS/ then changed to USPS??

Tracking # provided is invalid (Monday PM) for UPS and USPS. Messaged seller, they apparently are out of town and feel they uploaded tracking number incorrectly but are not able to get to their info to correct until 1/26. Item paid on 1/19 - outside delivery date 1/27 per ebay.  16 feedback seller.......

Why would express/priority shipping take 8 days?  I asked the day they shipped and got "I can't help you - I'm out of the area until the 26th"???? 

I've got a priority package, picked up on the 13th. (NW FL to NE TX - zone 5)  Made it to the local sort center that night ... but didn't actually leave until after the holiday. It was again delayed, I assume, by the lovely ice storms that we had on the Gulf Coast last week. It finally made it to TX on Saturday and has bounced between 2 different towns ... first the right one, then a different one and it made it back to the right unit today ... maybe, just maybe it might go out for delivery tomorrow ... 10 days after first scan 😞

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@stonevintage

I would not get all up tight about it just yet.

The 19th was Friday, then you have the weekend.

So later this week does not seem all that bad.

I have put in tracking # and got a number out of place.

( ebay gave me a ding for it )

This time of year, people go on vacation, I don't have a smart phone.

So I would not even see your message.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for your reply.  I've definately got my panties in a bunch over this delivery. My camera broke on the 19th (after over 40,000 ebay photos) and I happen to be in the middle of a photo project for the Mayor of our city that should be rapped up in the next 6 days as he will be on to the next project. So,  I specifically ordered this replacement that advertised express/priority delivery and was coming straight up the west coast from So Cal to Idaho so no weather delays.

I have been involved on the wrong side of stolen accounts and hence my concern. Those that have enough count to circumvent the $$ hold system but have gone inactive BUT are the choice of hackers to get in and use for 2 weeks and be on their way to the next hacked account. The excuse used to not provide tracking and delay until they've used the account to max and move on is "sorry I can't get to the tracking info to correct until".... (fill in the blank)  = last day they dump the account/withdraw funds and move on.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

So,  I specifically ordered this replacement that advertised express/priority delivery

Express?  or Expedited?  There is a difference in eBay terminology. 

The excuse used to not provide tracking and delay until they've used the account to max and move on is "sorry I can't get to the tracking info to correct until".... (fill in the blank)  = last day they dump the account/withdraw funds and move on.

As the buyer it doesn't matter whether the seller has drained his account or not.  You will get a refund if you win an Item Not Received claim.  eBay will refund then they will go after the seller.  You get your payment back whether eBay ever recovers the money from the seller or not.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I'm not worried about getting my money back. I'm worried about not having a camera by end date and having to go thru the week+ process to send this purchase to the graveyard. It may show up, it may not - willy nilly - it's anyone's guess and should all be ok with the buyer, right? Boo boos happen, la, la, la.

As explained, I need what I need for a specific reason, and have concerns for a specific reason.  If I were to believe that ebay sellers generally deliver subpar performance, not as promised in their listings - than it's all on me.

But, I believe differently and so, posted this question. IMO, ANY SELLER that provides invalid tracking number and then cannot check on, correct or remedy for 6 days (cause they're busy) should not have had active listings if they're not going to be available to assist in a problem. Park your store or do not list when you're absent.  That's what seperates good sellers from bad.

If this is the new ebay seller accepted standard and these are in your opinions, much to do about nothing on my part - than we are holding ourselves, as sellers differently than I am used to.... so, ok... count me as another who will never purchase from an ebay seller again. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

At first, the listing said UPS Express (and I paid for that), then the purchase history changed when the bad tracking number came in to "shipped USPS Priority" still a no good tracking number.  Don't think I'm misunderstanding.

As mentioned, this was an important project and that's why I'll not purchase here again.  Cost to me is 40k. so excuse me if I might jump off the tallest bldg in the city tomorrow (just kidding) but - I'M BENTSmiley Mad

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

"My camera broke on the 19th (after over 40,000 ebay photos) and I happen to be in the middle of a photo project for the Mayor of our city that should be rapped up in the next 6 days as he will be on to the next project. So,  I specifically ordered this replacement that advertised express/priority delivery..."

Never, ever buy something online (and that includes eBay) when you want it by a certain date.  It is too risky because things happen (like your situation).

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@stonevintage wrote:
As mentioned, this was an important project and that's why I'll not purchase here again.

You chose to buy from a "16 feedback seller", so there's no real reason to blow off all of the professionals that sell here on eBay as well.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

eBay's delivery date estimates were given based on the fact that the package would probably ship on Monday for a Friday purchase.  That is one business day afterall.

The seller told you they shipped on Saturday.  It might just get there tomorrow or Wednesday.  True, it's frustrating that you cannot see the tracking info, but you don't know if it's going on its merry way and that the number was simply uploaded incorrectly.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I understand, but as mentioned, If this seller is legit - I simply need the tracking number to follow and know what day(s) I need to leave my front gate unlocked so the delivery can be made. 5 day additional wait for tracking number is not ok.

As mentioned, seller suspected they may have uploaded the incorrect tracking number and cannot check for 5 days. If you're going to be away - park your listings and or stick your pending transaction tracking #s in your purse and wallet.

As to the other response - "don't buy from 16 feedback sellers", lol. I don't believe in that caution as I've not had that experience in the last decade.  I am happy to purchase from newer sellers and very happy to be one of the first to add to their positive feedback.   My message sent to seller was that I was bringing ebay into the loop on this transaction because of my knowledge of the timeframe and scam artists... of which I went into detail and of which this fit the profile.

This seller has since contacted me 3 times in the last hour.  Suddenly, they have immediate access to the tracking number and say it's now registering with UPS.  If I get the information I need and all is good - they will get pos feedback from me and a friendly suggestion about tucking those active sale tracking number slips in their wallet.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Lol, UPS original scan 1/22/2018 at 8:22pm. Same time zone I'm in.... it's 8:42 here now.... Somebody just raced to ship and emailed me immediately.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply