cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Seller Offers when only Viewing the Item

This drives me crazy! I am a Top Rated Seller (mostly of Collectibles) and frequently check out other similar items to gauge prices and learn information. I do not click to "watch" the items but simply view them. Within hours, I receive offers from the sellers of these items. To me it reeks of desperation on the part of these sellers. I never send offers to potential buyers though I do add "Best Offer" to most of my listings and also have the automatic reject of offers that I would consider too low.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Receiving Seller Offers when only Viewing the Item

I, too, am a top rated seller, and I check out members' listings when they post a problem on these boards.  I DO NOT receive any offers from the sellers.  I have my Communication Preferences to allow NONE for most activities, so I get minimal message from ebay/sellers.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I see this as a very good thing, and bad at all.  If someone looks at my item, they may have interest in it.  It is not the seller who knows who looked at the item, and sent the offer.  It is Ebay which asks the sellers if they want to send offers to people who have looked at the item.  If they fill out an offer amount and let Ebay send it to all the "lookers" it means you are getting more exposure to your item, you might very well pick up a sale.   As well some of the other sellers that you are watching also sometimes buy.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

On the item page you look at... use the drop down under add to watch list, make a new folder "Save for Research" (or what ever you want to name it) and then use that instead of watch item list.

This way it's not showing the seller you are a watcher and it will help you to separate from your watch list to just researching.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

In addition to what I said earlier, you ought to consider sending offers, I sell a lot of stuff that way.  Instead of lowering your price, consider offers to people watching.  They feel like they are getting a special deal, and often buy or at least counter offer.  I usually start my items fairly high, and float them down this way until they are sold.  Works out very well for me.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

This is the best tip I have ever been given! It makes it so much easier to do the research. Thank you so much!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply