cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random people selling PDF versions of newly published books.

I have seen quite a few listings of well-known books (published in the last couple of years) being sold in PDF format.  My question is -- how does Joe Sixpack acquire a PDF version of a new or recent COPYRIGHTED bestselling hard back book?  My gut feeling is that these are illegal pirated versions which violate copyright laws.  Why does eBay allow this?   There are many newer titles in PDF format but I was specifically wondering about "Bad Blood" by John Carreyrou.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Random people selling PDF versions of newly published books.

@pdxbuys wrote:

My gut feeling is that these are illegal pirated versions which violate copyright laws.

To stay on the right-hand side of the law, always buy the legal pirated versions.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

On eBay digitally delivered goods are not allowed unless it is listed in the classified ad sections of the cite. You can report the listing to eBay if it is being listed outside of that specific category.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@pdxbuys wrote:

I have seen quite a few listings of well-known books (published in the last couple of years) being sold in PDF format.  My question is -- how does Joe Sixpack acquire a PDF version of a new or recent COPYRIGHTED bestselling hard back book?  My gut feeling is that these are illegal pirated versions which violate copyright laws.  Why does eBay allow this?   There are many newer titles in PDF format but I was specifically wondering about "Bad Blood" by John Carreyrou.

The answer is that NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO SELL EBOOKS WITHIN THE USA ON eBAy.

But what you can do?

Report the listing to eBay.

AND

Report the listing to the U.S. publisher whom ever they may be.

This ass hat is selling Seanan McGuire's book Middlegame via a "kindle edition" probably because this book was recently nominated for the Hugo Award last week.

How do you think that Jeff Bezos feels about his Amazon Kindle Books being sold through eBay?

MIDDLEGAME McGuire in Books   eBay.pngMiddlegame kindle edition by seanan mcguire  Author    eBay(1).png

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@pdxbuys wrote:

eBay doesn't "allow it", it's up to the publishers to notify eBay of violations, if they do, the listings will be pulled immediately.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@pdxbuys wrote:

Hmmm, I don't know.  Why?  Why do they allow print-on-demand to be listed as First Editions?  Or all the hardcovers from Korea or China that are knockoffs?  Gee, maybe someone should ask them - it's only been going on for years.

Perhaps it's the money?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Comic book scammers have been doing this with eBay's blessing for years. They buy a high-grade desirable book from a legitimate seller, make a high-res PDF scan of the entire book, then return the book under MBG. Then they post the PDF cd on eBay for sale. Just search for comics or comic book and PDF; there  are hundreds listed.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply