cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding buyer

Buyer purchased something I listed, I accepted it and then they messaged me to text them on a cell number  to answer some “little” questions before paying. I am not comfortable communicating via my cell and said I would answer their questions through the messaging. Now they are not paying or responding. I went and looked up the address and it is not a valid address, plus their account was created today…what do I do? I am not listing anything else because this has been a pain in the butt to deal with…any suggestions would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Question regarding buyer

SCAM      SCAM.

DONT DO IT

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

It's probably a scam. They would next ask you to include an eBay gift card and they would offer to pay a little extra for your trouble. It's a pretty common scam currently. 

If they don't pay withing 4 days, cancel it for non-payment and put them on your blocked bidders list. 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Scam!!!

This is a common unfortunate practice aimed at new sellers.  Do not reply any other way other than ebay messaging.  They are looking to steal from you.  The alleged buyer has 4 days to pay, on the 5th day cancel the sale and state the buyer did not pay.  They will get a strike on their account.  Then add them to your buyer block list here; https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock?

The only way to avoid these types of scammers is to list all your items at a buy it now fixed price. Good luck. 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I didn’t do it…just wasn’t sure if I could report it somewhere or if I just have to sit and wait the 4 days. First item I have ever posted to sell and this was my experience….I think I am done. Thanks for the info!

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I think that is how I listed it. I did a buy it now and turned off the bidding…either way I will wait the time and cancel for non payment. 

Ugh - all of this to sell a pair of jeans. Ha! 

Thank you for the helpful advice! I appreciate it!

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Did you click the immediate payment box?? That will help too. Double check ok?  Happy selling and happy holidays!

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I don't understand why eBay won't monitor these messages and protect new sellers like this. What sense does it make to invite people in to sell and then watch them walk away after an experience like this? What sense is there in allowing your brand name to be irreparably tarnished?

@balexander76 wrote:

...First item I have ever posted to sell and this was my experience….I think I am done. Thanks for the info!

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Pretty sure there is no point in clicking the IPR box AFTER the sale.  

The OP should just wait out the 4 days, then cancel with UPI as the reason on day #5.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@balexander76If the address is not valid, you can cancel the transaction with the reason Problem with the Buyer's Address if you don't want to wait the 4 days. You're smart to have answered them as you did. On the sales order drop down menu, there should be an option to report the buyer. Use the Trying to take a sale outside of ebay as the reason. It is discouraging when you start out. The holiday season is a magnet for scammers, especially targeting new sellers. If you do decide to continue selling, you can always come back here for help.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

If you cancel "something wrong with address", they might leave negative feedback.

Just wait the 4 days and do unpaid item strike. If they pay, print the labels with eBay and use the address they put in checkout. 

95% this is a scammer, 5% it is a weirdo. 

Let me guess. Address is in New Castle, DE or Doral, FL, right?

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Tell him to go pound sand............

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

It's a scam. Don't do it. Don't let them email/text you...scammers target new sellers with zero feedback selling expensive/high value items. Beware of these scams. Good luck! 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Don't let one bad experience discourage you from selling on ebay. The vast majority here are good, honest people, seller and buyer.

Just look at any seller's feedback and you'll see.

Just report and block this buyer and move on, buy or sell more inexpensive items to build up your own feedback score, and most of the scammers will ignore you.

Keep coming to this forum for advice, it's easier to learn from other peoples' mistakes.

(Took me long enough to learn that for myself!)

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@cstpos wrote:

@balexander76If the address is not valid, you can cancel the transaction with the reason Problem with the Buyer's Address if you don't want to wait the 4 days. You're smart to have answered them as you did. On the sales order drop down menu, there should be an option to report the buyer. Use the Trying to take a sale outside of ebay as the reason. It is discouraging when you start out. The holiday season is a magnet for scammers, especially targeting new sellers. If you do decide to continue selling, you can always come back here for help.

If the "buyer" didn't pay, you don't know if it's valid address or not. 

So wait the 4 days and cancel with did not pay.