cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Final Value Fees and Credit

Hi, please excuse my post if it's in the wrong section or anything like that as it is my first time posting on these forums...

My question regards eBay's Final Value Fees. I understand it somewhat. For things I sell (mainly electronics) I see a roughly 10% fee that's invoiced at the end of the month.

However, I've recently "sold" a laptop for around 150.00. It's been about a week and I haven't received payment and so I've opened up an unpaid item case.However, I'm already seeing the roughly $15 fee eBay's ready to invoice. 

To my understanding, if the buyer doesn't end up paying, I get a final value fee credit or something like that, which I can then use on what exactly?  If I sell the laptop again for 150 to another buyer, will the credit just cover that fee and therefore cancel out? Does it get removed from the invoice? Will I see two fees on the invoice?

Help is appreciated. Thank you.  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@omnia_x  Hello!  If you the buyer does not pay in 4 days and the unpaid case is closed then you will immediately recieve the $15 refund,  You should see it immediately in your activity ledger where it sounds you are already familiar with.

Good Luck with your new selling account!

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Welcome @omnia_x. Have you ever returned an item to a store that you had charged to your credit card? The statement shows the initial charge of $15.00 then has a separate line item for the return -$15.00 where the amount is credited back. The two transactions zero each other out.

You can learn more about eBay fees here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The final value fee for any item appears on your eBay invoice at the time of the transaction.  When you file an unpaid item case, eBay sends the  buyer a messages that strongly encourages them to pay, but that's all eBay does. If the buyer doesn't pay within 4 more days, you can close the claim.   You'll get the credit when you close the unpaid item case. 

You should wait until you have closed out the original transaction before you relist, to eliminate any risk of having two paying buyers for one item. 

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

You are billed monthly.  Right now you have a $15 fee but it hasn't been invoiced for payment due yet.  If the buyer fails to pay and you close out the Unpaid, you will get a credit on your invoice.  So you will owe nothing.

If you pay your bill before the Unpaid credit, you will then have a $15 credit towards you future fees.  It can't be used towards item purchases.  If you don't plan on selling more, you can request a refund of your credit which will go back to the funding source.

@omnia_x

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

You get billed immediately.

But you are only charged monthly.

So if you sell something on Day 5 of your billing cycle,

you will see the FVF on Day 5 or 6.

If it is returned and refunded on Day 14,

you should see the FVF credit on Day 15 or 16.

Then you get a notice of fees due on Day 15,

which probably does not show the credit.

But by Day30 when your fees are actually collected, the FVF credit should be zeroed out.

The tricky ones are where you refund and should be creditted on Day 29 or 30 itself and you don't see the credit until Day One of the next billing cycle.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply