cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about bidding results

Hello:   Our second highest bidder is asking why they didn't win this auction.  Does anyone have an explanation we can pass along?  Thanks.

Capture..JPG

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Question about bidding results

The winning bidder beat their bid by less than 1 second?

?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

@18704dwrote:

The winning bidder beat their bid by less than 1 second?

?

Lynn

Yes, that's exactly what happened. Incredibly rare when the bid is that high.

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Did they both enter $3062 within a second of each other?  Then since it was a tie bid the one entered first won, and the names flipped?

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

@appleton.dpwwrote:

Did they both enter $3062 within a second of each other?  Then since it was a tie bid the one entered first won, and the names flipped?

Yes. The winner is ALWAYS shown at the top of the list, no matter when they placed their bid.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

Looks to me like the second place bidder had their sniper software set to exactly the first place bidder's max bid amount. Then when the sniper software bid at the last second, the first place bidder's max bid prevailed.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

@hioctane62wrote:

Looks to me like the second place bidder had their sniper software set to exactly the first place bidder's max bid amount. Then when the sniper software bid at the last second, the first place bidder's max bid prevailed.

There’s no way for you to know if sniping software was used. And both bids were registered at the same time. And neither of them was in first place when the bids were made.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

@hioctane62wrote:

The two final bids were both placed during the final second of the auction.

There's never any way to tell whether a specific bid was placed manually or by a sniping service.  In fact, the default lead time for most commercial sniping services is 6 seconds so IMHO these two bids were more likely placed manually.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

This is another reason to ALWAYS use pennies.

If #2 had bid 3062.26 (or any other penny amount), they would have won.  It is far less likely for anyone to match you to the penny than it is to the dollar.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 9 of 34
latest reply

@partial*eclipsewrote:

@hioctane62wrote:

The two final bids were both placed during the final second of the auction.

There's never any way to tell whether a specific bid was placed manually or by a sniping service.  In fact, the default lead time for most commercial sniping services is 6 seconds so IMHO these two bids were more likely placed manually.

Actually, one of the more popular ones will bid for you as late as one (1) second before the end of the auction.  Many people don't use this setting as there's not enough time for a re-bid to occur but it is possible.

My guess is *both* bidders used a bid-sniping service since it looks like both placed bids in the final moments of the auction.   Could have very easily been one was using say a 3-second snipe and the other a 1-second setting which meant the 1-second bidder's bid wouldn't have had time to increase/increment so they lost out.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

@chrysylyswrote:

This is another reason to ALWAYS use pennies.

If #2 had bid 3062.26 (or any other penny amount), they would have won.  It is far less likely for anyone to match you to the penny than it is to the dollar.

@chrysylys    Yep, I do the same thing.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

8***1 was a bidder that entered an earlier  bid and was winning at $3002.10 at 3:59:55 but with a high proxy bid of $3062. Then when the second place bidder tried sniping with a bid of $3062, the other guy won with the same bid because he bid that amount first.

Click show automatic bids then it should get cleared to what actually happened.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

if the second place bidder would have placed his true high bid the first time he bid, he would have won but because he was nibble bidding along he lost. 

We always try to tell people bid once your highest amount the first time you bid. by not following this advice he lost. 

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@livadiawrote:

@partial*eclipsewrote:
 ... the default lead time for most commercial sniping services is 6 seconds so IMHO these two bids were more likely placed manually.

Actually, one of the more popular ones will bid for you as late as one (1) second before the end of the auction.  Many people don't use this setting as there's not enough time for a re-bid to occur but it is possible.....

Indeed, even though the default is 6 seconds,  users can adjust this time. Myself, I adjust it to 7 seconds, exactly because of situations like this: My proxy bid might tie or be not a full bid increment above the high bid showing if it's pitted against another bid placed with 6 seconds left.

@livadiawrote:
 ....   Could have very easily been one was using say a 3-second snipe and the other a 1-second setting which meant the 1-second bidder's bid wouldn't have had time to increase/increment so they lost out.

It doesn't work that way.  The bid history shows that the two final bids were both placed during the final second.  Bids are processed in the order that they were received.  There is no possibility that an accepted proxy bid "wouldn't have had time to increase/increment."

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

@fuzzface50wrote:

8***1 was a bidder that entered an earlier  bid and was winning at $3002.10 at 3:59:55 but with a high proxy bid of $3062. Then when the second place bidder tried sniping with a bid of $3062, the other guy won with the same bid because he bid that amount first.

Click show automatic bids then it should get cleared to what actually happened.

Sorry, no. 8***1 (samsie18 in the OP's display) placed TWO bids: one for $3,002.10 at 3:59:55, and the winning $3,062 bid at 4:00:00. That's why they appear twice in the bid history without using the "show automatic bids" function. 

Message 15 of 34
latest reply