cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promotion on eBay seems to be a scam

I recently made a listing on eBay and went to search for it, and it would not come up on the search, even when I cut and paste the exact title!!!!  eBay reported no matches!!!  I paid for promotion on top of it ... I feel very ripped off.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

@trashy-284 wrote:

I feel very ripped off.  Has anyone else experienced this?

We cannot comment because you never said what the item was. Come back and we can check for you and let you know the results. With that said it takes 24 to 48 hours sometime to index.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@trashy-284 wrote:

We cannot comment because you never said what the item was. Come back and we can check for you and let you know the results. With that said it takes 24 to 48 hours sometime to index.

Ditto for emphasis. 

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Well it is risky for the seller.  the terms state they don't have to promote your listing.

Unless you have items selling in very competitive, highly saturated categories, the best way to get listed well is no defects, all shipping on time, and offer prices on the lower end of the range for your products.

And given the upcoming worse changes coming to Promoted Listings in June, do not even bother using them at all. 

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

You have an active listing for bar stools, auction-format, local pickup only. Listed 5 times before this, sold twice with a single bid. I'm guessing those sales fell through because the buyers didn't realize it was local pickup only? Putting Local Pickup in the title might help.

I searched for "restaurant counter height bar stools" and your listing appeared 3rd in newly listed and 5th in best match results @trashy-284. Searching by exact title doesn't always produce results because you're using too many search words.

Is there another listing you're having a problem with?

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

It depends on what your selling. If you get the items you sell for free or very little then you can afford to make eBay your partner, then, cant you. I would avoid free shipping for many hassle reasons I am not going to line out here. If you want a opinion from a real non affiliated seller I would definitly promote all my listings, even if my sales are down right now, I look at anything I have listed is pure profit, so why not cut eBay in and give them some of the action, after all they work hard on a limited staff, to keep everyone out of trouble. There is always some people you will have to hassle with, make it fun, or dont play, I am a believer if they say its promoted, it is, give the system time.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@trashy-284 wrote:

Hello ... I'm really surprised at how helpful everyone wants to be. Thanks so much ... I feel as if I'm not just being kicked to the curb! So the listing is for a Monos 2-pc luggage set.  It has really just disappeared!!

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

You did not say when you listed it  BUT every time you revise a listing you take it off ebay until the revised listing is re indexed into the system.

Also the ebay user agreement does state the following...........just food for thought...

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/user-agreement?id=4259&st=12&pos=2&query...

• We strive to create a marketplace where buyers find what they are looking for. Therefore, the appearance or placement of listings in search and browse results will depend on a variety of factors, including, but not limited to:
    • buyer's location, search query, browsing site, and history;
    • item's location, listing format, price and shipping cost, terms of service, end time, history, and relevance to the user query;
    • seller's history, including listing practices, Detailed Seller Ratings, eBay policy compliance, feedback, and defect rate; and
    • number of listings matching the buyer's query,
  • To drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer,
  • Some advanced listing upgrades will only be visible on some of our Services,

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Hello Janet ... all that being said, if you literally cut and paste the title of the listing, the search should never say "no matches found" ... especially for a "promoted" listing. 

Thanks for your help though ... I've learned my lesson ... 

Dean

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

does this item show up in your "Active Listing" from your Seller Hub...If so, it has an item nember

what is the item number?

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

@trashy-284 

Dean- just stick with it, ebay can be frustrating when it comes to search results. every user gets a different set of results based on far too many parameters so likely someone out there is seeing your listing.  Promoted listings is one of ebay's pay to play schemes and helps nobody but ebay. the last several quarterly reports have shown GMV and sales are down 10% but ebay profits were up 9%!  that means sellers profits down and ebay profits up which sounds impossible but its because ebay's primary focus is on promoted listing fees and other fees instead of advertising and improving the platform to bring in more traffic. this is not sustainable- it is a short term money grab by hurting sellers.  Promoting listings also diminished the accuracy of the search results as well but promoting does work for items like i-phone cases and things that are a dime a dozen.   If you have unique items- they will sell anyway.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

@trashy-284 wrote:
So the listing is for a Monos 2-pc luggage set.  It has really just disappeared!!

luckythewinner_0-1651411578074.png

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

yep looks like it shows up for me know too. probably since the seller ended the promoted listing for it and now it shows up in organic results! when you promote your listings you are fighting for space on the page with everyone else that is promoting (even if it is not even an item like yours). if you dont promote, the item was the only one to show up!   BTW - my search also showed on promoted listing of a set of luggage from another brand.  

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

yep..it is indexed now....one curious question

Why is it categorized under "Travel ---> Luggage Accessories ---> Luggage Tags"

instead of "Travel----> Luggage"

maybe that caused a delay or something?

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

313977856308 ... I'm going to search that number next! Good idea! Thanks...

Message 15 of 34
latest reply