cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted Listing Views VS External Views VS Organic Views

For several months I have been testing views. First off thousands of sellers are complainting to ebay, that no matter what they do, they are not getting views, and find other ways to get views, other than what ebay is telling sellers that don't work.  I predicted that ebay will continue to fall, if they keep milking sellers out of every penny with their "Highly Questionable Moves Against Sellers".  A few weeks ago the stock market took ebay off it's index list. I know that hurt all the big wigs at ebay, making them look bad.  Back to my point. During my tests on views, I notice, that if I get a large up tick in external views, my promoted listing views will stop.  My organic views will slow down. Time and time again, my promoted listing views would just stop, if I got a large number of external views. I would change the percentage of my promoted listings as high as 30 percent, and my promoted listing views will still stop, if I got a high number of external views. Meaning ebay stop my promoting listing on it's site, because traffic was coming outside of ebay.  You know it's bad when ebay has resorted to rewarding, and paying people to say good things about ebay. And retaliating if people point out the not so good things ebay has been doing for several years.  I also notice, if a seller give a good working around to get more views, to make more sells, ebay will find ways to stop it, or use it to charge another fee on sellers. The ebay community mods, and apologist in this community post will defend ebay with Pure Non-Sense, because the issue is not currently happening them, or hiding the fact for ebay, no seller should question ebay, who only give very vague answers.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Promoted Listing Views VS External Views VS Organic Views

@siamjane8 wrote:

@mr_lincoln  You hit the nail directly on the head with this statement/ observance ---"Listings are controlled and manipulated by the venue's AI programming letting just enough sell to keep Sellers interested but low enough in hopes they feel the have to do SOMETHING to generate sales. "

The steady decline of sales and ebay platform as a whole started 6-7 years ago as they implemented more and more AI.  It was not to make search better or more intuitive as we were told, but instead to give ebay more power over what is seen and sold on the platform.....more control...... instead of just showing people what they searched for (what a novel idea), they wanted to monopolize the search and pit sellers( actual ebay customers) against one another all the while skimming more profits without doing anything.

Its no doubt- this is why the " ebay hides my listings" started..... because they do- in an effort to make sellers desperate for sales while they have "the solution" for just 10-20% more in PL fees.

We have had zero growth for 5 years straight/ actually sell less year over year regardless of the economy and the fact they we have doubled our available listings to around 5000.... There is nothing organic about this. It is completely manipulated by algorithms to maintain a certain monthly gross sales. Its as plain as the nose on your face. If you have a "good" day- sales plumet to "adjust".  If sales are slow- then there will be a flurry of sales within hours of the the end of the week or month.... and every month we are at the same amount of sales- no growth / no opportunity to grow a business on ebay. 

Sales, times listings are shown, places to which listings are show, certain categories that are shown, and probably a bunch of other variables go into keeping sellers sales at what ebay has determined.   Its like a glass ceiling.

@siamjane8   My sincere thanks, some can't see it but the facts tell the truth.  In all the years I ran my regular quarterly PLS campaigns (for about 30 days each quarter) I don't ever recall getting messages like I have since I stopped using PLS in 4th quarter last year.  PLS worked great until early 2022 when PLA was fully launched, Views counting was changed and PLS ad rates magically doubled and tripled ... overnight.   Since late 4th quarter last year I have gotten:

(3) We've missed you - try Promoted Listings Standard again

(2) You have what they want - Promoted Listings Standard sales pitches

(1) Invite to Offsite Ads BETA to increase traffic on external channels 

The "We've missed you" message is the real tell.  We're talking all those messages in about a 2 1/2 month period - pics below.

Is what we have been talking about happening to every Seller?  No, I doubt it.  But I am confident that there is some kind of algorithm monitoring accounts and gathering data and when a certain set of criteria is met then what we've discussed begins.

PLS AD 1.pngPLS AD 2.pngPLS AD 3 OFFSITE ADS.png

For now I am in "wait and see" mode in hopes that sales will return naturally and get back on a growth curve opposed to the unsustainable curve I am currently enjoying ... 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@easm05 wrote:

What the problem with people as you, in your very flaw mindset, in thinking if it's not happening to you, it's not happening to no one. The only people who does that is those on ebay payroll, those who ebay is paying or rewarding them just to say nice things about ebay, and those ebay apologist. I know many ebay sellers who replied what I have stated in my pass posts, what I was stating was not fact, until ebay did the same to them, that effected their bottom dollar.  Now those same people are on a rant of all the wrong ebay is doing to sellers, just to maintain a little profit, due to the fact the decisions they have been making is dum, and such business model cannot last. This is why year after year ebay is falling. If selling in volume is the way to make profits like amazon, and other platforms does, ebay got away from that, and think charging sellers, high fees for every little thing, is the right way to go to make a profit. It's not working for ebay, they have been knowing this for several years now, yet they keep doubling down on dum. Even customers service agents don't know nothing, because ebay just give them a script to read to everyone. Than you will have some agent who would retaliate on your account just because you trying to explain something they don't know. Like I had to explain to a customer agent how mail is deliver in United States, and how Street addresses are, and this customer agent said she has been a agent for four years. The prisoners are running the prison. 

Hi again @easm05 

I am a little confused and think you might have me confused with someone else.  If you go back to the first page of replies to your post and read what I posted you will see it was a fairly comprehensive explanation of the slow steady decline in sales that I have experienced over the last two years. 

I love Selling on eBay but the operative word is Selling and when that stops or significantly slows down one has to investigate to find the reasons.  I did that and can point to the reasons based on my own experience, testing, observation, record keeping, etc. 

As an update to that post and the message eBay sent about using PLS again I have now received a total of five messages from eBay suggesting I try PLS (2) or Try it again (3).  I have also received a message to try promoting via Google Ads.  This is all in the last 2 1/2 months so it's not some regular sales promotion campaign the venue is running ... because the prior YEARS of using PLS once per quarter for 30 days I never got those messages to try PLS ... it was only when I stopped using it 4th quarter last year that I started getting those messages ... and sales continue to decline and Views continue to  decline, Impressions continue to decline, etc.  So reading between the lines for my specific experience and selling history the message is pretty clear, if one is not willing to pay extra fees to promote their listings then sales will not grow.  

The direction that eBay is heading will most likely work for some but not for others.  I am in the "others" group at the moment waiting to see if sales recover naturally ... if they do great ... 

The adjustment equation(s) at eBay have many a variable.  For a seller with diverse stuff more likely get views, impressions are a rather vague statistic as eBay doesn't inform as to whether an impression is actually happening or is it simply inclusionary as a database query result.  I'd likely say it the latter given my software engineering experience.

More focal like you're stuff, model railroading the more you likely need be competitive, you're competing against other's who specialize whether in full, in part or those who are diverse that pick up a car, engine, etc. every now and again in their sourcing travels.

Where you see actual page views of any significance need be looking at price, total cost.  One might argue its why Terrapeek exists.

Also have to make sure listings are as Google friendly as can be.  For ages Google has tried to tap commerce in big fashion and I do mean ages, even before they're crazy Froogle platform.  Google has really never struck its potential in all these years but that now is changing and changing fast.  It's all due to one thing, "Voice search on cell phones."

Now Google is changing up it's wheels to become the epicenter of commerce searches.  The pay to play there is going to be tough on eBay and others but before even going into that its important that listings be search engine friendly.  eBay search engine friendly vs Google search engine friendly are going to be likely two very different things.  eBay want's fuzzy search results or there just be heaps of product never get views.

Sellers think buyers know how to effectively search... I can assure most do not and it becomes even worse with Voice Search due to voice being more linear with folks than logic of deductive thinking they may do with textual search.  This is why the promise of AI in searches is considered be the new best'st thang... It may not be IMHO given my engineering/marketing background but that's a different discussion.

Understand here at eBay the description field sellers use a variety of informationally abusive ways but that description is spidered by Google and Bing etc.  With search engines "Content Reigns King" far more than any page title.  The two plus item specifics are a puzzle that fit together for external engines but internal to eBay Search they are filters.  "Bachman Bathroom Car Model xyzipper #2," (LOL) there's year all that stuff.  eBay uses as filtration for buyers to drill down, Google doesn't have active selectable filters.

The full description becomes important to external search engines and we don't know what data eBay is exposing in meta-data to search engines.  I could likely find that out but it may differ drastically across products more or less my knowing what Google or other engines going like towards commerce.  I know what they like towards common web pages.  For all we know the item detail data is not as prevailing to Google search as description data.

Organizing data can be important all sides the equation.  Want it be clean.

I'll take one of you're descriptions and yours are better than many...

N Scale BACHMANN 46502 Tri-Level 89' Car Transporter OB  (I've no idea what OB means, Over Board LOL).

N Scale BACHMANN 46502 Tri-Level 89' Car Transporter OB.  The train car is in EXCELLENT but only has 5 automobiles.  Includes the original box with inner liner.  Pictures taken with and without camera flash.    Questions welcome.  Shipping is combined.

Here's mine for you're item:

Single Line: 1989 N Scale Tri-Level Car Transporter OB (Model #46502)

Long:

Item: 1989 N Scale Tri-Level Car Transporter OB (Model #46502)

• Condition: Pre-Owned
  • Scale: N-Scale
  • Model Number: 46502
  • Production Year: 1989

on and on...

You get the idea.

"But so much replication!"

Yep!  Organized and keywords in description, CONTENT REIGNS KING.

I've not went through my listings yet to further test/optimize towards Google, something I plan do over the summer at camp doing 10 - 20 listings a day.

What might mine look like (as I'm not very scale train savvy, more so than some but far less than you)?

I do PC Games albeit I've slews of console ones I've yet to even address.

So w/ PC Games we've all sorts of genre/item data and hashtags get into full descriptions.  

You can't count on Meta Data "glue" between the various mechanisms external of eBay, first off they change internal and external more or less what data might be rejected.  Since content always reigns King very good idea to have the content w/o getting Spammy.

As I've said "Back when" I created a web for folks with Multiple Sclerosis, it was massive.  But because content reign King and I understood all that that sites pages ALWAYS ranked in Top 5 every single search engine and I never paid a dime to any of em'.

How the search engines treat commerce these days likely different from 20 years ago when I'd webstores online but that's something I want test.  No, I really dont care open webstores for 20 year old PC Games, might well try sell Walnuts instead BUT I do want set up a Wordpress site and do some simple mimic linking back into my eBay offerings.  I've some tools for web monitoring whereby I may see impacts.  Those impacts highly unlikely gift me with ancient PC Games any monetary Yee-Ha but for folks like you might.  Sites linking in is big thing when it comes to websites, with eCommerce these days I dont know.  In the past 20 years ago, OH YES indeed.

Back then game forums yack about genre's of titles often would link titles in our stores and I could see page rank results go upwards at external search engines.  

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@mr_lincoln 

I think every seller is in the wait and see mode lol.   I think ebay took a big hit a couple weeks ago when it was removed from the Nasdaq 100 index.   Its not a good sign but it is par for the course when we see what has been happening and the changes that they have made over the last couple years- nothing really improving sales- in fact PL actually probably hurting sales overall.   

Its my hope that they pull back on any ambitions they have for the seller update and focus on the real issues that ebay has- search / promoted listings being at the top- buyers are sick of not finding what they search for and being shown unrelated promoted items. 

When sellers feel desperate to promote- their items instantly go from being in an organics search result to being shown in promoted carousels and adds on other people's listings.   When a buyer comes to the site- they type in what they want to purchase. Unfortunately (except for a couple spot at the top), anything promoted that is a nice match will not be there.  it will be somewhere else- effectively hiding it from view unless you click on something else and then scroll down to all the "promoted" and "like this" and "others bought" pages.   

Mr Lincoln- that is why promoted used to work when it was in beta but no longer works- if you make everyone promote, you are in effect promoting nobody!  Worse yet.... ebay is basically hiding the listings from where a buyer expects and wants to see them- IN THE FIRST SEARCH RESULTS PAGE.   It is so much work to sift through page after page of PL hoping to find what you want.....then you go to google and cut and paste your ebay search.....wahla 5-10 active ebay listings exactly match what you want! How can the platform have any success if its own search does not show people the best and most accurate matches?

Not to mention that the PL problem has caused a general price increase on the platform overall.  Consistently, unless it is a vintage or unique item that cant be found anywhere else, it is now more expensive to purchase on ebay so there is no reason to buy here anymore in those situations..... unless your intent is to scam the buyer or do a chargeback etc.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

@mr_lincoln 

I think every seller is in the wait and see mode lol.   I think ebay took a big hit a couple weeks ago when it was removed from the Nasdaq 100 index.   Its not a good sign but it is par for the course when we see what has been happening and the changes that they have made over the last couple years- nothing really improving sales- in fact PL actually probably hurting sales overall.   

Its my hope that they pull back on any ambitions they have for the seller update and focus on the real issues that ebay has- search / promoted listings being at the top- buyers are sick of not finding what they search for and being shown unrelated promoted items. 

When sellers feel desperate to promote- their items instantly go from being in an organics search result to being shown in promoted carousels and adds on other people's listings.   When a buyer comes to the site- they type in what they want to purchase. Unfortunately (except for a couple spot at the top), anything promoted that is a nice match will not be there.  it will be somewhere else- effectively hiding it from view unless you click on something else and then scroll down to all the "promoted" and "like this" and "others bought" pages.   

Mr Lincoln- that is why promoted used to work when it was in beta but no longer works- if you make everyone promote, you are in effect promoting nobody!  Worse yet.... ebay is basically hiding the listings from where a buyer expects and wants to see them- IN THE FIRST SEARCH RESULTS PAGE.   It is so much work to sift through page after page of PL hoping to find what you want.....then you go to google and cut and paste your ebay search.....wahla 5-10 active ebay listings exactly match what you want! How can the platform have any success if its own search does not show people the best and most accurate matches?

Not to mention that the PL problem has caused a general price increase on the platform overall.  Consistently, unless it is a vintage or unique item that cant be found anywhere else, it is now more expensive to purchase on ebay so there is no reason to buy here anymore in those situations..... unless your intent is to scam the buyer or do a chargeback etc.

Problem is billions of listings on a list oriented site and people using cellphones to shop and nothing anybody going to do to change that.  Mamazon's natural solution before smartphone even hit was one listing, many offers, race to the bottom pricing, very strict performance demands and guarantees to buyers 20+ years ago.

eBay tried follow suit and sellers did not embrace it due to "This is the price I want" and Amazon blew past eBay in sales like eBay was standing still.  Again not eBay's fault, they mimicked the mechanism that is now #1 and sellers rejected it, called greed.  Now in many ways come full circle.

There are hordes of other mitigating factors, eBay wise like a perfect storm where they are a lone big ship caught in the center of it being tossed around while parasite sites take bites of them.  Its pretty hard to be agile trying keep the ship afloat, make what amounts to huge changes needed whilst other vessels siphon off the passengers and the sellers remain in mindsets that are like a neurological paralysis to point where a Government wants regulate it all.

I've said it before I'll say it again...  eBay just canned part of its workforce.  They need be hiring engineers to create "newBay" and IMHO newBay should be "The Auction Mall" which is what we called it 20 years back when we'd designed it.  I don't care if renamed, the concept is as valid today as twenty years ago and no commerce has done it.  It is attractive to big business, manufacturers, advertisers and resellers all alike which is exactly what designed to be.  Even concept ready for 3D headsets which we'd envisioned BACK THEN ALREADY would come in time to online commerce and it will.  We envisioned that because targeted 3D active glasses were coming out for specific PC Games atop nVidia's chipsets.

Streaming now seen on TV I'd already saw 15 years ago in prototypes at a local IT college.  It was basically a black box that back then could stack.  Here's your cable box, stacked another black box it atop it and there was Playstation or X Box.  Active prototypes of "The Home Information Center" made by Sony to be exact.  Wireless, keyboard w/ trackball, the works.  That is tomorrow, surprised it hasn't already happened but industry is no wine before its time.  It spans all digital media be that movies, eBooks, eStories, video games on and on where the real licensing takes over.  You own the right to use and ends there.  Be no resale of game media, accounts, movies etc.

For shopping that's in part why META decided META.  Facebook Marketplace is not intended to be Craigslist 3.0.  It's goal is to create a scalable shopping environment that fits into the Metaverse which links in everything from Social Media profiling in literally all aspects to that of Virtual travel and SO much more.  A literally virtual universe is the vision USING the Quest 3D headsets.  None of it conjecture, I know engineers doing the work.  The ONLY reason FB Marketplace exists currently is towards the "Linkage" and CONVERGEANCE of the aspects of the Metaverse.

I've seen some of the white papers and its just WOW!  Incredible.  Meta has bled money towards the Metaverse, not made a dime on the Quest Headsets but that's beginning to change.  You'll be able use your cellphone or home Internet, Cafe Wi-Fi etc.  If you had to put a technical term to it, its Web 4.0 and if they actually "Get er' done" the way we use the Internet now will look like MSDOS versus you're smartphone.

"The Auction Mall" once again fits right in should things get that far.  My guess is they wont.  They wont not because the technology wont get there...  They wont because long before it happens third party commerce is going to get regulated as sellers are their own enemy and most don't even realize it.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@siamjane8 

You are correct that PLS worked well at first and right up to when PLA was fully launched.  Then it changed, that is what I recorded and observed with regard to timing.  In basic terms I understand why.  Major eBay site changes have historically been followed by either good or bad results.  Prior to 2022 the one that I recall having a big impact on what I sell was the GTC mandate in late 2018 - early 2019.  I had just spent the previous 12 months growing a 2nd account (via proven selling items and methods) to the low five figures (annual sales) only to see it killed off in less than 9 months dropping to a ridiculous 1 sale per month ... yes, it died that much and that quickly.

My main account kept going without issue and grew until early 2022 as mentioned ... on a certain level I am seeing a quasi-repeat of the GTC Mandate affects on my main account but its more protracted in its demise ... only time will tell.

Regards,
Message 20 of 26
latest reply

@retro_entertainment_collectibles 

Thanks for the lengthy post, it's a lot to get through but some things stood out for me.  Since you mentioned trains I'll stick with that topic.  When eBay dropped all the train gauge categories and lumped them together we had more Buyers posting here and complaining that their old Searches didn't work and they would get a list of trains with numerous gauges, many of which they had no interest in.  Per your comment, they had little interest in sifting through page after page of search results to find what they were looking for.

What has been consistent for me over the years is my title format ... it hasn't changed, my approach has enough keywords for specific train cars, locomotives, building kits, etc. to be found as well as for those simply shopping around to see what's out there.  It has served both collectors and casual users equally as far as I can tell by who buys my stuff.

By the way, "OB" meanings "Original Box" ... like NIB means "New in Box", NOS means "New old Stock" and on and on. 

I tend to be detail oriented and figure at the end of the day more information will never hurt.  I often get "as described" in Feedback from Buyers and at first I was curious about that.  Then I realized that those Buyers probably had experiences where items were NOT as described leading to a bad Buying experience ... 

I have "questions welcome" in all of my descriptions ... sort of like, please ask, don't assume and yes, I may have missed something unintentionally. 

Regards,
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@retro_entertainment_collectibles 

Thanks for the lengthy post, it's a lot to get through but some things stood out for me.  Since you mentioned trains I'll stick with that topic.  When eBay dropped all the train gauge categories and lumped them together we had more Buyers posting here and complaining that their old Searches didn't work and they would get a list of trains with numerous gauges, many of which they had no interest in.  Per your comment, they had little interest in sifting through page after page of search results to find what they were looking for.

What has been consistent for me over the years is my title format ... it hasn't changed, my approach has enough keywords for specific train cars, locomotives, building kits, etc. to be found as well as for those simply shopping around to see what's out there.  It has served both collectors and casual users equally as far as I can tell by who buys my stuff.

By the way, "OB" meanings "Original Box" ... like NIB means "New in Box", NOS means "New old Stock" and on and on. 

I tend to be detail oriented and figure at the end of the day more information will never hurt.  I often get "as described" in Feedback from Buyers and at first I was curious about that.  Then I realized that those Buyers probably had experiences where items were NOT as described leading to a bad Buying experience ... 

I have "questions welcome" in all of my descriptions ... sort of like, please ask, don't assume and yes, I may have missed something unintentionally. 

Oh don't get me wrong, you're listings are better than most I see and you'll get no argument from me that the search / final product display has many an issue.  Very very difficult to try "Bend" a complex web with just buckets atop buckets atop buckets of data around multiple devices and that's why "Mobile First" has become the standard paradigm in web based engineering.  The so called "Responsive" website so the experience stays similar from a cellphone to a desktop or TV for example. 

We've TV's now that are 4K and 8 K horizontal resolution and there is just no doubt sometime in the predictive future TV becomes what the home PC was.  Technology ya' know?  Gotta love it.  The next best thing to the latest best thing is re-imagining the last best thing and fleecing consumers all over again then rinse and repeat portioning out new tech as if General Mills just add the color Pink to Fruit Loops. LOL.

It's really really difficult to re-imagine a platform like eBay to be "Oh lets mobile first" when for 20 years its been the exact opposite.  Mamazon lucked out in that they're one listing multiple offer format is just el' perfecto for small devices.  I don't think anyone there envisioned that future but I am sure the toilets were kept clean in the wake and around the water cooler some engineers said, "Boy did we dodge a bullet..." and others replied, "More like the whole dang artillery!"

Now all that said indeed its good have buyers say, "Yes!  As described w/ good detail!"

But search engines don't leave feedback.  See thing is The Emancipation Proclamation Mr. President would be a search engine disaster if it were based on description for Google to chow down on.  One aspect where AI may actually make for some interesting goodness versus what will likely be inherent badness due to abusive AI.

As I tell people in most simple of terminology, "If God wanted us to have AI we'd be smart."

So one has to ask WHERE is a potential customer likely to perform search?

In my case w/ old PC Games Google is a pretty good bet.  With say old Post Cards very much not so much.

With LP records, there likely be a splice.  Google, eBay, Amazon are all likely targets of a consumer actively looking for an album.  eBay wants what eBay wants, Google I want draw as much as I can really and I might splice more content into my detailed description to try pull on that.  

I've not tried chase information down that be out there towards the Google Shopping Search algorithm's which are certainly proprietary but best practices might be out there somewhere.  But you can test against it use say six listings and toy around with them.  Since eBay doesnt care much about detailed description or so people say well, playground with half a dozen and see if via some predictable model railroading hobbyists likely use at google, see if can effect rank and make a few along lines of when I modify them, Delete the old, replace with a new listing so we can be sure Google re-spiders it.  Over a few months we take a look if we've learned anything.

Ya build out those predictable search strings put em' in notepad ready for cut and paste into Google/MSN.  Toy around with a dozen listings wait a week, apply the searches Google and see if there is effect.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

With sales and traffic decreasing, the board has to show a growth for investors every quarter.  So they've changed how listings are promoted, in a format that will end up near 100% promoted eventually. They'll try to have everyone on PLS, PLA, Offsite ads, etc. 

Also, in my category, suggested ad rate is up near 18% lately, and the closer you are to that number, the higher your sales are usually. The problem with that as some have mentioned, it ruins the search. 

The buyer is looking for 1" ID rubber washer. Every seller on ebay who hit promote, and has washer in the title, is on page 1. The higher rate paid, the higher on the list.  But the buyer is looking for 1 x 1 1/2 x 1/8" exactly. He / she may have to search multiple pages to find it through a sea of listings that don't match.

This ruins your conversion rates. Once 10 buyers see it and don't purchase because its the wrong size, the listing gets moved down, or just buried. On a 18% SAR,  12-13% promo is decent, anything higher just gets spammed. 9-10% doesn't really get enough views, and <= 8% promo listings  just no longer exist in the ebay realm. Unless its an MPN search or exclusive product.  (in my experience)

Solutions: (all hearsay)

1. HQ likes to see at least 3-5% NEW listings, 2-3% if you have 1000+ items

2. The algorithm still likes activity, re-writing descriptions, pics etc (playing wack-a-mole full time)

3. Check your defects like late orders from time to time. I've seen orders delivered in 3 days, but it says their late. You can appeal these with a 30% win rate.

4. Use a different account to check placement. If you're logged in, your listings are at the top, use your wife's account or something, then search for your items. 

If a listing with 500 orders goes dead for a few months, the ebay gods no longer like it. You don't want to end it and re-list, so you have to just re-vamp the entire listing and wait. 

And god forbid the item specifics, categories, and search actually worked.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

My views on my listings are almost non existent for the most part. I don't know whats going on but after relisting the same items dozens of times and barely getting any views on most of them is really depressing. I've had items relisted on eBay for so long that I forget I still even have them.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@western-supply  I agree that promoted listings has destroyed the search relevancy and the buyer experience.  Ebay has been in  steady decline since they were implemented. usership and sales are down every quarter since ( with the exception of the covid bump), which might be the most telling. Ebay had a huge boost in sales and traffic through covid but actually lost users instead of retaining them afterwards..... That is 100% the fault of the buyer experience. People do not want to search through the search!  We want to be shown the most relevant listings to our original search, not the one with the highest profit probability for ebay- ebays profit is 0% concern for 100% of the people buying on the platform- they just want to see what they type in the search box, not page after page of promoted things having nothing to do with the original search......The real KICKER is when they leave ebay out of confusion and copy the search to google only to be shown 10 active ebay listings that are a great match!!!!!   but wait- they think...i was just there and none of these items showed up!

Of course the decline in sales is multi faceted BUT the search is the heart and soul of a platform that's main purpose is to "connect buyers and sellers".   Ebay hijacked its own premise for profit and is undermining and ruining it- biting the hand that feeds it.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

I don’t sell a lot on ebay, but listed a new item a week ago. I had 51 organic views within a week. I thought I would try doing a promotion to boost views. I added the lowest percentage, which is 2 percent. The next week, with the 2 percent promo, I had zero views. I think eBay is punishing me, for only doing 2%, by squelching my views! Could this really be happening, or is it coincidence?

Message 26 of 26
latest reply