cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product reviews spreading like a virus to my other listings!

On Ebay i sell fabric and have a bunch of solid colors for sale all made by the same manufacturer.

One color is named Denim and a customer of mine didn't like this shade of blue, thought it was too dark and left a product review to that effect. Fair enough.

So now i notice the product review is spreading to other colors i carry. These are individual listings as i listed them separately not in a multi format.

So now my black fabric has a product review that says its too dark along with a few other colors even the macaroni color which i haven't sold any of at all but it has a product review strangely. So when i look at my store i see dropping star ratings for products that were not even rated by anyone

Customer Service cant help which was not surprising as i feel its a coding problem

I'm annoyed to be honest and not sure what to do other than move all my solid fabrics to another venue. A few weeks ago i ended the listings and did sell similar and removed the UPC number and that seemed ro work for a bit although i lost obviously all my selling history which was a shame as you get more visibility on good sellers with a long established selling history.....anyhoo the product rating for the denim color has started to creep back onto the other colors

I don't have a problem with the original review on the denim but i feel that it should stay there and not spread! I have about 8 new colors coming this week and more back ordered and im loathe to list them now.

Anyone else experienced this?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Product reviews spreading like a virus to my other listings!

You can choose to not have product reviews on your listings.  I did that when reviews not pertaining to the products I was selling started showing up in my listings.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Really!!!!

Looking into that right now Thank you!!!!

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I might have to mention that to the CS rep too....

I have wasted so much time on this Thankyou

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@kateinthe26th wrote:

I might have to mention that to the CS rep too....

I have wasted so much time on this Thankyou

Did you try simply Googling hide product reviews on eBay ?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Yup, once again we are visited by the fail of what is the ebay catalog.

It gets worse, another seller sells your same or similar item and when listing decides to use your catalogued item to fill in item specifics... They are not the best seller, buyers are upset and leave bad reviews that have more to do with seller performance than the product but it matters not, their reviews affect your product as well.

Ebay Customer Service will do nothing.

I won't even talk about those companies that paid to have good reviews written for their product.

And that is the reason why I changed my setting to stop allowing my items to be included in the catalog.

Once I did that the stupid reviews magically disappeared.

And order was restored in the land and it was good.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Yes i did several times... Not sure i can turn it off now as its not in the seller preference section anymore which is what everyone is saying when i Googled it. Customer Service looked there too when i contacted them today and a few weeks ago...

Thankyou  lucky i appreciate the input

If anyone knows a working link to turn off reviews i would be grateful

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

This is where the opt out option is supposed to be or used to be according to what i have read. its just not there for me anymore so i think i am stuck with incorrect product reviews until i remove the listings.

prod revi missing.jpg

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@kateinthe26th 

It's my understanding product reviews are linked to the MPN (or UPC or whatever other universal code) entered on the listing. That review will appear on every listing with the matching MPN--including other sellers' listings, if I'm not mistaken (which I frequently am).

I checked just a random few of your listings and noticed the ones with the MPN completed with C120 have reviews (one is a 5-star review), but the ones with the MPN left blank do not show any reviews.

Again, this is just for the few I randomly chose, but you might want to investigate all your plain-fabric listings and see if this happens to hold true for all of them.

Let me/us know what you find out . . .

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I don't use product codes (UPC, MPN)  for any of the computer equipment that I sell because I don't want those product reviews in the listings - I sell refurbed equipment and old tech, and sometimes the product codes are wrong anyway.   Try getting rid of those. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@kateinthe26th wrote:

This is where the opt out option is supposed to be or used to be according to what i have read. its just not there for me anymore so i think i am stuck with incorrect product reviews until i remove the listings.

Sellers haven't had the option to turn off product reviews for 3-4 years now - ever since eBay made that ill thought out catalogue push back then.

pburn's info is accurate that GTINs are what pull product reviews into a listing. The MPN on your listing is causing the review to appear on all listings sharing that product identifier.

You can report an inappropriate review by clicking on the icon next to it - I think it's an exclamation point, or possibly a flag. You can try reporting the review on all colors except Denim, but I wouldn't count on that working. The only way to guarantee removal is deleting any GTINs.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Hi Pburn.

Yes, your right. I figured it out a few minutes after my last post. I had a light bulb turning on moment. I Just wanted to say thanks to you though as i forgot to come back to the thread.

I still use the same manufacturer part number but just add the color after it.

Thank you.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Can you help explain how you prevent that?

Message 13 of 13
latest reply