cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to issue a partial refund before buyer returns an item but after accepting return request?

Hello everyone ... this is my first post so please be kind and gentle ...

I sold an item and when the buyer received it they filed a SNAD (buyer never contacted me prior to filing SNAD).  I sent the buyer a message offering to refund 50% and they could keep the item.  The buyer did not respond in a timely manner, so I accepted the return.  Well, a day after I accepted the return, the buyer responds that they would accept the 50% refund offer.  

My question:  Is there a way for me to issue a partial refund now that I have accepted the return request but the buyer has not yet shipped the item?  I am in managed payments so refunding through Paypal isn't an option. 

When I go into the resolution screen, it gives me the option of issuing a refund but suggests I wait until I receive the item back in the mail - so I am assuming that when I press the key to issue the refund, it will issue the full amount and not give me an option to enter a smaller amount.   If this assumption isn't correct, please let me know and I will give it a try.  Your suggestions are appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Possible to issue a partial refund before buyer returns an item but after accepting return reque

You need to have BUYER close their return request.   When BUYER opens SNAD you are required to give FULL REFUND plus return postage (otherwise your return will not close).

Then you can give them 50% refund (to go ORDERS (find item) and click down arrow & select  SEND REFUND.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Re: Possible to issue a partial refund before buyer returns an item but after accepting return reque

@spacehalo wrote:

Hello everyone ... this is my first post so please be kind and gentle ...

I sold an item and when the buyer received it they filed a SNAD (buyer never contacted me prior to filing SNAD).  I sent the buyer a message offering to refund 50% and they could keep the item.  The buyer did not respond in a timely manner, so I accepted the return.  Well, a day after I accepted the return, the buyer responds that they would accept the 50% refund offer.  

My question:  Is there a way for me to issue a partial refund now that I have accepted the return request but the buyer has not yet shipped the item?  I am in managed payments so refunding through Paypal isn't an option. 

When I go into the resolution screen, it gives me the option of issuing a refund but suggests I wait until I receive the item back in the mail - so I am assuming that when I press the key to issue the refund, it will issue the full amount and not give me an option to enter a smaller amount.   If this assumption isn't correct, please let me know and I will give it a try.  Your suggestions are appreciated.

It's too late now for a partial refund. You lost that option. Buyers are not required to notify the seller in advance, it's only a suggestion. Your only choice now is to explain kindly to the buyer and see if they will close the return case.

Closing the return case will eliminate the buyers chances for any refund so you are asking them to trust you. I know you aren't out to cheat them but they don't know that. Unfortunately a can of worms has now been opened so really not much you can do here. If they do return your item you can sell it a second time and make up some of the money you lost here. Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@spacehalo wrote:

When I go into the resolution screen, it gives me the option of issuing a refund but suggests I wait until I receive the item back in the mail - so I am assuming that when I press the key to issue the refund, it will issue the full amount and not give me an option to enter a smaller amount.

You can click Send refund the 50% from your seller's nub now @spacehalo which leaves a remainder for the pending return.

Then if your buyer closes the return/abandons the return, it's closed/will automatically close after 15 business days, and we're done.

Otherwise, the buyer will have to return to get the rest of the refund, which is not happening.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for that suggestion.  I had asked the buyer to cancel the return request, but they told me that they did not know how to do that and I have had no experience with canceling a return request, so I wasn't able to provide instructions.  However, this morning the buyer called customer service, explained the situation, and I received a message that eBay was going to review the case and make a final decision.  Shortly after that, eBay sent me a message stating that they refunded the buyer 50% and closed the case.  That is fine ... but am I going to get "dinged" because they had to step in?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for the response.  You guys have been so helpful and I keep learning 🙂

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for the response and the wonderful suggestions.  I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge!  The case has been closed by customer service and everyone is happy.  I am just wondering if I am going to get a defect or dinged because eBay had to step in to help?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Probably. They like to do that.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply