cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please stop accusing everyone of being a scammer

Sellers are accusing buyers of scamming. Buyers accusing sellers of the same. This does no good for eBay’s reputation and all of our sales!

A buyer paying slow or a seller shipping slow are not scammers. People with family emergencies are not scammers. Slow mail, lost packages are not from scams. Making a mistake, poor packing, bad communication are not necessarily, or even usually, scams.

We were accused of being scammers a couple days ago. Why? Because the %$#%& wasn’t smart enough to read the description – just looked at the pretty pictures.

A scammer is someone who purposely misleads in order to steal your money. As the economy tanks their numbers may be growing but they are far outnumbered by good, legitimate buyers and sellers.

Watch what happens when everyone ‘knows’ that eBay is only a place for scams. You think sales are slow now?

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Please stop accusing everyone of being a scammer

@kathieskorner wrote:

I looked at a few of your listings and could find no description beyond the title, condition,  and item specifics - yet your TOS were many paragraphs long.  Perhaps the lack of description is the reason you get a lot of SNADs.  

I have to agree with you. What sellers think passes for a "detailed" listing these days is laughable.

I took a look at their stuff after reading this comment--they don't even abide by their own terms.

In their own terms:

The product has been described to the best of our knowledge and in the greatest detail and truthfulness. We have also taken detailed photographs of the actual product being sold. The photographs often describe the item better than words. We have made every reasonable effort to disclose any known defects.

The first item I looked at is a doll in a box.

The description consisted solely of a statement that the box isn't mint, but the doll has never been removed from it.

What isn't mint about the box? Who knows.

What defects are present? Who knows.

Has the box ever been opened? Who knows.

Something is wrong with the box to make it "not mint", but, despite their terms to the contrary, they didn't write one word about what it is.

Not to mention just standard details.

What size is the box? Who knows.

What size is the doll? Who knows.

The description tells me pretty much nothing.

And the "detailed photos" that they claimed were better than the description (not that such a thing is too difficult, when the description is less than 20 words & tells me nothing specific about the item whatsoever)? There's 1 photo, 900x1600, of just the front of the box with the item in it.

The other sides? Not one photo.

"Detailed"? 900x1600 is barely enough be considered high definition--and that's including their background on all four sides of the photo. Just for fun, I cropped the image down to the actual item. 642x1255--HD starts at 720x1280.

@monster-deals, you're right, you shouldn't "roll over & take it". You should, instead, actually do what your terms say you do. Take actual HD, detailed photos of the item. Use the text to actually describe the flaws in the item (and the other parts too). You claim in your terms (that I assume you consider "binding") to have used the greatest amount of detail possible to describe the items as accurately as possible. If that's true, this is honestly sad, because you don't seem to describe much of anything, and you certainly don't do so in detail.

--

This is my posting ID.
Message 46 of 49
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Or the seller did not get tracking and/or did not reply to messages from the buyer: "Scammer".

Yes, doing both of those things at the same time is a pretty good way to get yourself labeled a scammer.

I have a seller I just opened an INR on.

Ordered over a month ago. Estimated delivery was about 2 weeks ago.

They have my money in their PayPal account (no MP--the money went from my PayPal to theirs). Their automated feedback system left me feedback, so their system has my order.

They never marked it shipped, let alone provided a tracking number. No tracking number that can be connected to this order ever appeared on my FedEx Delivery Manager, UPS MyChoice, or USPS Informed Delivery dashboards.

I sent a message a couple days after the estimated delivery date to ask if they'd already shipped or if they were at least planning to do so in the near future. They never answered.

Fast forward to today. Their feedback is now 3% lower than it was when I ordered (94% down from 97%), thanks to negatives for non-delivery & non-communication. Some of the negatives even specify that the seller in question kept the buyer's money, with no communication, only to refund almost immediately, with no explanation, when the buyer finally opened a case.

Are they a scammer? Probably not. I've even ordered from them before with no issues. But they did everything possible to make themselves look that way.

The rule of thumb for selling on every platform I've ever participated in, including moderated ones like eBay and less than moderated ones like private buy-sell-trade forums, is simple: communication is key.

Once you have someone's money, it's going to look really, really, really sketchy if you just drop off the face of the Earth.

Shipping late? Stuff happens.

Shipping late with absolutely no communication whatsoever, despite attempts to reach you (which shouldn't be necessary--you should be proactive)? There are only a handful of acceptable reasons for that, and, if you're refunding people who open cases against you, you don't qualify for any of them.

--

This is my posting ID.
Message 47 of 49
latest reply

@walwalwill wrote:

If that's true, this is honestly sad, because you don't seem to describe much of anything, and you certainly don't do so in detail.

Nor does it matter.

Message 48 of 49
latest reply

OK, how about this for a scam. Somehow eBay let someone change our sign in ID. This person loaded a few dozen sales for Windows 10 keys at a very cheap price to our site and used the fake ID. To top it off they also bought every enhancement eBay offers (over $200 worth). When we tried to sign in on the 26th we had to create a new sign in. Seeing the sale site we realized we  had been hacked. Immediately we contacted eBay. Not only were these fake keys on the site, there was one legitimate sale from us that was purchased and they had stolen the payment for that. Now we are getting messages and bad feedback because the Windows keys are naturally fake. So far eBay is not doing a darn thing about it.

This is not about someone's opinion of a product or the product being not up to par. It is about a thief who hacked the account and has also stolen money from buyers and from us. In my opinion it should be turned over to the police and eBay should vindicate us to the people who are harassing us.  We do have a seller's ID and name, although I have no idea if it is real. I am talking to an attorney to see what rights we have to make this right.

Message 49 of 49
latest reply