cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plague of buyers demanding partial refunds - scam?!

All of a sudden I'm getting multiple buyers making up a vague reason about why something is wrong with an item they received and demanding a partial refund. They don't want to return the item, they want to keep it, but they want $10-20 back.

I sell jewelry, and the last reason for a partial refund was that underneath the ring, the holes for the diamonds were different sizes. **bleep**? I've never even heard that before, of course they are different sizes, the diamonds are different sizes! Another good vague reason is that a diamond has a spot in it, or it's not a "quality construction". I take huge clear photos so surely they can see any imperfections in the diamonds before buying. And do they really expect a super clean diamond for $100? In any case I'm very happy to take any returns with full shipping refunded, but these guys don't want that. They just want me to throw $20 at them.

Anyone else getting this? It so feels like a scam to me and I don't get why so many people started doing that all at once. I never give partial refunds and half the time they just stop communicating. 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Plague of buyers demanding partial refunds - scam?!

@bc-jewellery-au  Of course this is happening ... of course it is a scam ... of course some Buyers are trying to get partial refunds - maybe they tried it on other Sellers and it worked and now they are trying it on you.

Give an inch they take a mile ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Simple one time response:

"please return for refund"

Then if a case is opened, issue an ebay label for return, nothing returned, (5 days for buyer to actually put in the mail when label is available) call ebay and have the case closed in your favor.

Winning the case blocks FB and you will not be charged for unused label.

For jewelry first class postage label would be a lot cheaper than tossing money at the numptys:(

block buyer id

Add ID here:

http://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/biddermanagement.html

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@bc-jewellery-au  I wanted to add that if you are 100% confident in what you sold the Buyers then I would politely advise them to process a return for full refund claim in the Resolution Center AND that you will pay for the return shipment.  The premise here is you want your customers to be completely happy with their purchase which is in fact true.  So you would prefer taking the item back to review the issues they describe so that if you relist it for sale you can note the issues more properly.

On the flip side, if it were me I would rather pay to take the item back so the Buyer does not have then issue a partial refund on principal alone.  It might be less expensive to pay for the return the issue the refund.

Regards,
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

There are websites out there 'teaching' people to do this.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Yup, I use first class postage and it's cheaper for me than giving them a partial refund. Will the 5 days thing work even if I give 14 days refund policy? Very interesting. I'll try that! thank you
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

chrysylys, that's what my husband said. So crazy, I bet lots of sellers are giving away partial refunds since they're unaware. How annoying

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

mr_lincoln, absolutely that's what I do, I don't want to reward the scammers even if I lose money on the return! I don't want to give them the satisfaction. Now they're bargaining with me like "ok if I don't return how much are you willing to partially refund.." ...really?! And then they try to make it difficult like "oh I've never done a return, can you teach me how to do it" in which case I helpfully send them an ebay help page on returns. Take that, scammer.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@bc-jewellery-au wrote:
Yup, I use first class postage and it's cheaper for me than giving them a partial refund. Will the 5 days thing work even if I give 14 days refund policy? Very interesting. I'll try that! thank you

If they open a NAD case, (your return policy does not matter when a case is filed for NAD)  when you select issue label for the return, they have 5 days to actually drop in the mail per ebay policy.

I would wait 7 days if no tracking shows as mailed, call ebay ask to have case closed in your favor.

Have policy in hand when calling.

Under returns (buyers) here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/index/ALL.html

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@bc-jewellery-au  Exactly.  For what I sell I do not get many returns but when an issue arises one thing I have told Buyers is that I have a 30 day return policy so they don't need to feel like they have to rush and that I will help them with the return claim process if they need it.  I saw in another of your posts you offer 14 day returns ...

Regards,
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@bc-jewellery-au wrote:

eBay actually gives the buyer 7 days to ship the item back to the seller - not the 5 days mentioned above.

Your 14-day return policy only applies to buyers remorse, and it means the buyer has 14 days to notify you that an item will be returned.  eBay allows 30 days after delivery to file a case, and Paypal gives 180 days from payment to open a dispute.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

If it's good enough to keep, it's good enough to pay the price. Ignore these women until they open a case, then return for refund, zero partials. Stop giving them. They're probably telling all their low life scammy friends your account. 

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

@bc-jewellery-au wrote:

eBay actually gives the buyer 7 days to ship the item back to the seller - not the 5 days mentioned above.

Your 14-day return policy only applies to buyers remorse, and it means the buyer has 14 days to notify you that an item will be returned.  eBay allows 30 days after delivery to file a case, and Paypal gives 180 days from payment to open a dispute.

I was correct,:):) please read the policy:

"5. Pack the item carefully. Include the packing slip, apply the shipping label, and send the item back to the seller. You must return the item within 5 business days of requesting the return. It's a good practice to include tracking information when returning an item."

https://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/return-item.html

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

you must be on the list of easy to rip off

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

ersatz_sobriquet, I'm scared to ignore them because there's always a chance they'll leave retaliatory negative feedback. I'd rather they return the item so I work with them till they finally file a return. This one buyer is getting ridiculous. She's sent me 8 emails over the last 24 hours, some with pictures of the "damage". There is no damage on the ring she bought. It's the cheapest thing I have too, which is even more petty. She is still demanding partial refund even though I told her to send it back with nothing to lose! ugh. I might start ignoring her now, what else is there to do.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply