cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo resolution quality drop

Hello, I've noticed that the photo resolution in my listings looks much worse and I haven't changed anything I'm doing on my side. I seemed to be getting great results by directly uploading photos from my photo library on my iPhone, where they are taken. But not anymore. Wondering if somebody could help me troubleshoot what could be going on here. I have an iPhone X… I know current cameras are better than the model I have, but the thing is, I was using the same phone, say, a year ago and the listings looked crisp and clear.  Something changed on eBay's side? Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

a Facebook group I belong to now has 4 or 5 other people reporting the same problem (as well as myself).

Theory -- if you load pictures with chrome, they look much better than if you use firefox

No one mentioned using their phone.... so it looks like there's an issue there too.

It's eBay, not you.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Aaah, thanks. I have noticed many issues these days with using Safari. It doesn't seem to interface well with a lot of things. I'll give that a try with a new listing soon, see what happens.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I noticed this too. It seems ebay is actually re-encoding the images upon upload, so there really isn't much you can do. Mercari does the same exact thing too, so its not just ebay.

They're trying to save on storage space, but at the cost of deteriorating the quality of images they store. If anything, it will just deter people from wanting to buy, not a bright idea.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply