cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persisting "...can't be listed because the text on ... is not in English" issue.

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking advice on an issue I'm facing as a seller on eBay. Our listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/201569278571
got blocked (we cannot introduce any changes to it), and the error message says:
"Your item can't be listed because the text on the item or its packaging is not in English."

We reached out to eBay support and were told that the problem occurred because the package was all in Japanese, which was not true.
As you can see on the listing page pictures, the product included a section in English with a full description. To fully comply with the standards (and as eBay support insisted), we had the package recreated in English - it encases the original Japanese packaging - most of our customers prefer the original Japanese package for authenticity.

However, when trying to list a new item, we still keep getting the same error message.
We reached out to eBay support again on March 4, but did not get a response yet.

Here is the screen video of the process: https://youtu.be/TENMWsTEqQ0
Below are the product pictures.

Any advice on this case would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

DSC05224.jpgDSC05225.jpg

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Persisting "...can't be listed because the text on ... is not in English" issue.

I still don't know what that it is, but I wouldn't buy in English or Japanese.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

It's easy enough to find that out if you don't know on that thing called Google. IAC, it's a supplement made from Mozuku seaweed, a nutrient-packed food. I eat a lot of wakame seaweed, but have never had Mozuku.

@zenmony-dot-com  I see two other listings also located in Japan, with packaging in Japanese, so I'm not sure what's going on. Have you tried presenting the English packaging solely in your photos?

@inhawaii  - you sell Japanese products with Japanese packaging - have you had this problem?

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

To fully comply with the standards, we created an English package that encases the original Japanese packaging.

@zenmony-dot-com 

^^^ That sounds a little dicey to me... plus, you left off the 'Best Before' info. Are you starting from 'Sell Similar'?

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I sell lots of Japanese products. Most have Japanese AND English on the package. But I have sold a few with only Japanese on the package. I never had any trouble.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

>> I see two other listings also located in Japan, with packaging in Japanese, so I'm not sure what's going on.

-> These got the same blocks/filters. The issue is I cannot list a new product.
>> Have you tried presenting the English packaging solely in your photos?

Yes, I tried cropping to the English package only, but it did not solve the problem. I assume there could be some kind of block on my account, or maybe there is a new OCR filter that does not like even some words in Japanese on the package (what if these are just a part of the design?). The eBay support denied any blocks on the account. I suspect they have very limited access to what is really going on, especially on the technical side.

Meanwhile, almost all of my sales have moved to Amazon. Thankfully, these guys have a more flexible mindset.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I sell lots of Japanese products. Most have Japanese AND English on the package. But I have sold a few with only Japanese on the package. I never had any trouble.

Thanks, @inhawaii - can you check out OP's listing and see if anything jumps out? This seems crazy. I'm interested because I purchase Japanese products myself and this just seems strange.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

What is dicey about that? eBay support were insisting I do it.
I tried "Sell Similar" - same stuff.
On my other attempts I filled in a very detailed info in all fields - same result.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

A wild guess: The competition might have complained to eBay about this item being all in Japanese. 
They tried the same with Amazon. They wrote multiple complaints in feedback (which were later removed), but Amazon never blocked anything.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Nothing really jumps out except it appears to be a drug, well not a drug but a "supplement".  Maybe thats the cause for all the scrutiny?  I'm not sure?

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

This one too. I mentioned this to eBay support - no meaningful response. 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

eBay support were insisting I do it.

Phone or social media?

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

But generally, if eBay has refused a listing, it is best not to try again, because that can close down an entire account.

Permanently.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Thing is, the OP has other similar supplements. Good idea to contact CS on Facebook to see if you get a better explanation - some guidance would be helpful.

I see items in all sorts of languages posted here. 

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Thanks for the FB link, but it didn't work — got a message saying the content's not available, might be deleted or limited to a few people.
This one opened https://www.facebook.com/ebay
I will try reaching out to them.

As for the phone reps, I emailed them and, as usual, got a pretty useless response. It was all 'we're here to help' fluff with barely one sentence that kinda addressed my issue but didn't really make sense.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Thank you.
Can I contact them via https://www.facebook.com/ebay
Because https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ 
is not accessible without an invitation. 

Message 15 of 20
latest reply