cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal says purchase made w/o buyer's consent, held funds. I canceled, but ebay still wants to ship

Sold an item, and almost immediately got email from Paypal saying, "We recently notified you that a payment you received was made without the account holder's permission, or was the result of a transaction error."
In reality, this was the first message they sent. 

I went to paypal, went to Resolution Center, switched back to the the "Classic" version, since the new one doesn't work, and refunded the held payment.

But the order is still on my Awaiting Shipment page on ebay, and I get the feeling I won't be seeing a refund of my FVF.
How do I fix this?

I tried canceling the order on ebay,. but they want to issue a second refund.
No option to mark as unpaid, no way to contact ebay.  They don't have email or chat, NEVER call back when you choose that option, and I don't have time to call them.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Paypal says purchase made w/o buyer's consent, held funds. I canceled, but ebay still wants to

You will have to find the time to sit on hold and talk to them.   You should have contacted eBay regarding this as soon as the unauthorized appeared so you could cancel the sale "buyer requested".

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Re: Paypal says purchase made w/o buyer's consent, held funds. I canceled, but ebay still wants to

I just assumed that it would switch to unpaid on ebay. But apparently, paypal and ebay don't communicate much anymore. Labels I print on Paypal don't add tracking to ebay, nor do those items get marked as shipped on ebay. And now this. I also didn't know if canceling on ebay would close the case in paypal.
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Ebay won't issue a second refund when you cancel unless you used "send money" to refund the purchase. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Don't have time, is never an option in business. Make the time or find another way to sell your items. At least they caught it before you shipped. Call ebay and make them refund ur fees. They will. You can also try to contact them through their twitter or Facebook messaging. They’re more apt to reply to mail
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

They blocked me on FB years ago. I have no idea why. Maybe I'll try Twitter. Thanks.

Jen: But it says, "Send refund" when I click to cancel. I don't want to take that chance.

I don't understand why email has that "Call me" link. I have tried many times, and they have never called me. What I hate about calling them is it takes so long to get someone who understands the problem.
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@ramonv wrote:
I just assumed that it would switch to unpaid on ebay. But apparently, paypal and ebay don't communicate much anymore. Labels I print on Paypal don't add tracking to ebay, nor do those items get marked as shipped on ebay. And now this. I also didn't know if canceling on ebay would close the case in paypal.

Yes, if you cancel an order for any reason it flows to paypal.  

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Thanks, but too late now, and I had no way of knowing that, since things obviously don't flow FROM paypal TO ebay.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@ramonv wrote:
Thanks, but too late now, and I had no way of knowing that, since things obviously don't flow FROM paypal TO ebay.

Actually they do.  If I issue a partial refund in paypal on an order for excess shipping it then shows in my eBay orders as "partially refunded."

However, you are correct, when you refund in paypal for an order that HAS NOT SHIPPED, the status goes from Paid to Unpaid, not cancelled.  You will have to find the time to contact eBay.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

just follow the cancel flow,it will not refund a 2nd time it will recognize the paymemt has already been sent

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

"Actually they do. If I issue a partial refund in paypal on an order for excess shipping it then shows in my eBay orders as "partially refunded."

That happens with me, but not consistently.

However, you are correct, when you refund in paypal for an order that HAS NOT SHIPPED, the status goes from Paid to Unpaid, not cancelled. "

This one still shows as paid.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I'll try that if the Twitter thing doesn't work. Thanks, all.
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@ramonv wrote:
They blocked me on FB years ago. I have no idea why. Maybe I'll try Twitter. Thanks.

Jen: But it says, "Send refund" when I click to cancel. I don't want to take that chance.

I don't understand why email has that "Call me" link. I have tried many times, and they have never called me. What I hate about calling them is it takes so long to get someone who understands the problem.

They can't refund a payment that has already been refunded. There won't be a second refund as long as you refunded through the original paypal transaction. Its confusing but there won't be a double refund

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Well, even though Paypal showed it completed, it now shows "pending review" so ebay doesn't see that as refunded. So if I refund through ebay, what's to stop Paypal from also refunding? PayPal's site is such a mess lately, that I don't trust them not to mess this up.
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Oh, and I refunded through the Paypal Resolution Center (classic version).
Message 15 of 21
latest reply