cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal asking me to resolve unauthorized payment

Buyer purchases item and about 10 minutes later Paypal sends me an email about a possible unauthorized transaction. I logged into my account and Paypal is asking me to "resolve" it. The only choice of four that makes sense is "I haven't shipped, refund buyer". I'm glad to do that but the ebay side says print label and ship. I have never had this happen to me. I don't want a defect for not shipping the item.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Paypal asking me to resolve unauthorized payment

On eBay, the next step after payment is ALWAYS "print label and ship." That's because eBay has no way of knowing the payment is unauthorized. So you can ignore the automatic blue button.

Follow Paypal's instructions. You won't get an eBay defect.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Can you send a buyer request cancelation?

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

In the transaction under more actions, unmark payment received. File an unpaid item dispute in 48 hours, close it out 96 hours later. Put the "buyer" on your block list NOW.

15b37288d3f74f8a7ae1750e948f8c04

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Another good reason for eBay to get rid of the seller defects. 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

OP, did you log onto your paypal account by going through ebay links or using the paypal address OR did you log onto paypal through the email you received?

If you went through the email, back out now and start changing your passwords now.  I have never heard of paypal making the receiver responsible for an unauthorized payment.

Forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and you might ant to call paypal and ask them what is going on.

(*Bleep*)
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I actually logged in to my Paypal account from my iPad, like I usually do. I did not follow a link from the email.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I will try that after I decide what to do with the Paypal issue. Thank you much.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Thank you. I believe I will block this buyer no matter what.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

In the transaction under more actions, unmark payment received. File an unpaid item dispute in 48 hours, close it out 96 hours later. 

That doesn't work once buyer has paid, even when buyer paid by unauthorized card.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

As I said earlier I logged on from my iPad rather than following a link. In Paypal it shows the buyer's payment received but ON HOLD and up above it the Resolution Center line that 'There are unresolved problems. Click on the status or respond'.  I believe I will refund and mark as either unpaid or cancel due to buyer request. If the buyer is disputing through PayPal they don't want the item OR did not authorize purchase. I would have felt easier if they had just messaged me on eBay. THAT I am accustomed to! Thank you all for taking the time to respond to me.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

FYI I also see now that PayPal says the sender of the payment is 'unregistered'. Not sure what they mean by that. I should have also pointed out that the buyer has zero feedback and just joined eBay. Sometimes that's a red flag but I have made many successful sales to such buyers. The items I sell are not the type things that attract scammers, just unique or hard-to-find because they are no longer manufactured. They are niche items that are worthless to anyone who doesn't want them. I told PayPal I have not shipped and sent a screen shot that shows the email I got about the sale and PayPal's own alert of a problem 11 minutes later. It won't be a problem with eBay till tomorrow. Ordinarily this item would be in the mail already today.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

On eBay, the next step after payment is ALWAYS "print label and ship." That's because eBay has no way of knowing the payment is unauthorized. So you can ignore the automatic blue button.

Follow Paypal's instructions. You won't get an eBay defect.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

That makes sense to me. And hopefully PayPal acts by tomorrow and makes this easy to close out. Thank you, duchess.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@oleander1993 wrote:

I will try that after I decide what to do with the Paypal issue. Thank you much.

This is a little confusing. Maybe the buyer had remorse or was hoping you shipped fast and item was on its way. If you refund by PayPal I thought ebay automatically remover payment receied or at least showed a funds return arrow. The cancel the eBay sale?

Or let PayPal hang and cancel the eBay sale.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Since this scenario is a first for me, I was like, what? I wish the buyer just asked to cancel. But maybe it was unauthorized use. The dispute just happened so quickly after the purchase....I'm still scratching my head. But yes, I have at times refunded a buyer due to item broken in transit or the time I shipped the wrong item (ugh!) and the PayPal action did show up in eBay. You are right. What really threw me is PayPal said its investigation could take 7 days and I have 1 day handling. I'm not seeing the PayPal Hold reflected on eBay, soooooo eBay loves to slap sellers who don't ship timely..... That was my concern. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply