cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal to EBay payments

eBay is going to Fall. We do 1.2 million in sales and they forced us to switch from PayPal to eBay payments. Terrible someone behind a desk that doesn’t understand. We are considering amazon like never before.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: PayPal to EBay payments

@greg5000 wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@tdpawn3 wrote:

eBay is going to Fall. We do 1.2 million in sales and they forced us to switch from PayPal to eBay payments. Terrible someone behind a desk that doesn’t understand. We are considering amazon like never before.

You realize Amazon doesn't use Paypal, right? They do in-house processing like Ebay will be going to.

I think the concern is, if eBay can't even run the site without daily technical issues and glitches, how will they ever handle processing the many millions of payment transactions that will flow through the system?  Smiley Indifferent

Yeah, that's my concern, too, but it seems that most of the complaints are that sellers will no longer receive payments to their Paypal accounts. That's going to be a good thing. You don't want the Paypal mafioso to have their hands on your money any more than absolutely necessary. The faster it's out of there, the better.

I've said it before - in this case I'd rather "trust" the village idiot than the mafioso. (Trust being in quotes because you can't trust anything on the internet, and in this case trust is the only word I can think of to use lol)

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 16 of 45
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@thehonorabletrader wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@thehonorabletrader 

Great post.  I would just adjust one thing.  MP isn't a 2 year roll out.  It is a 4 year roll out.  They launched it in 2018 and it is suppose to be site wide by 2021.  When their contract with PP ends.

They announced it in 2018 (February) and it went live to Customers in September of 2018. The operating agreement actually ends in July of 2020 based on the document filed with the SEC. I have been told eBay will have North American Sellers all in by 2020 and then the rest of the world by 2021. Just an FYI 🙂

Dang you are absolutely right.  I've always known it was a 5 year contract.  Guess I can't count.  LOL  More coffee please!!!

Told by whom?  When they launched the program they said site wide by 2021.  So you are saying they have moved up that timeline?

Based on a conversation with eBay Reps in Managed Payments. They have more information than the standard eBay CSR. 

Message 17 of 45
latest reply

I always thought PayPal did a good job and have seen many Sellers saying they are very happy with PayPal. 

Everyone has different thoughts on this, but the one critical factor is that eBay is creating something "from the ground up", which is the way eBay was built over many years, ... but the site has so many issues and the ground is shaking every day.

How does eBay think they can create Managed Payments with everything so unstable? 

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

@mansons2005 wrote:
General reply:
After last night's news report on the security of on-line payments processors announced that Apple Pay and Google Pay are the most secure and sites such as PayPal are the least secure, I imagine that an entire generation of buyers will be using Apple Pay and Google Pay in the future.......something eBay is now set up to accept. For once, a bit of forward thinking................................

But just how secure is Ebay??  They have not released any information since that huge hack in 2014  and doubt very much that they would as they have not been transparent about much of anything under the previous CEO.  Hopefully the next leadership team will be more transparent and also look at the coding from their outside programmers to see if there are any holes that have been left since they have openly admitted that nobody checks the updates before just making them live for the Sellers to have to deal with all of the bugs and issues.  Rather than spend some of their billions of dollars on a department to Beta Test their product and updates Ebay has turned to using the free services of their sellers to find all of the issues for them and then may or may not even bother to fix them.

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I do not like paypal's new policy of keeping the 2.9% fee on refunds and cancellations. That I do think is a "money grab". 

What I can say about paypal is that they never made a calculation error on my fees, sales, or any other monetary transaction. 

Ebay however, is notorious for errors. Writing code for handling our money before it ever hits Ayden? Scary. 

They are a business for profit.  Because a problem arises between a buyer and seller for whatever reason it may be, it is not PP's fault.  They provided a service and they have the right to be paid for that service.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like this change any better than anyone else.  But I understand it and it is not a "money grab".  It is a business that is being paid for services rendered.

Speaking for myself only, anytime Ebay has made an error on any fee they have charged me over the years, Ebay has always stepped forward and refunded my account.

Your opinion is that it is not a money grab.

My opinion is that it is a money grab. I used the words "I think". You stated as if fact. 

One of us is not stating facts and the other stating opinion. Both are opinions. 

I remember ebay double charging for fees, it has happened I think more than once. Sellers had to call in or else their invoices were not adjusted. 

Message 20 of 45
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I do not like paypal's new policy of keeping the 2.9% fee on refunds and cancellations. That I do think is a "money grab". 

What I can say about paypal is that they never made a calculation error on my fees, sales, or any other monetary transaction. 

Ebay however, is notorious for errors. Writing code for handling our money before it ever hits Ayden? Scary. 

They are a business for profit.  Because a problem arises between a buyer and seller for whatever reason it may be, it is not PP's fault.  They provided a service and they have the right to be paid for that service.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like this change any better than anyone else.  But I understand it and it is not a "money grab".  It is a business that is being paid for services rendered.

Speaking for myself only, anytime Ebay has made an error on any fee they have charged me over the years, Ebay has always stepped forward and refunded my account.

Your opinion is that it is not a money grab.

My opinion is that it is a money grab. I used the words "I think". You stated as if fact. 

One of us is not stating facts and the other stating opinion. Both are opinions. 

I remember ebay double charging for fees, it has happened I think more than once. Sellers had to call in or else their invoices were not adjusted. 

I don't define a business getting paid for a service rendered as a "money grab".  I don't consider it a "money grab" when I find some inventory to sell that I can make a larger profit on either.   I don't consider it a "money grab" because I'm paid for my services rendered to a customer.

As I've said before.  I don't like this rule change any better than anyone else.  But I do understand it.

I'm sorry you had a time or experience with not getting some fees refunded from Ebay.  I know nothing about that.  But I'm sorry you experienced it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 21 of 45
latest reply

Been trying to find information on this for my future plans. So by the end of this year US sellers all have to be in Managed Payments?

Message 22 of 45
latest reply

@cationdi wrote:

Been trying to find information on this for my future plans. So by the end of this year US sellers all have to be in Managed Payments?

@cationdi 

Ebay has NOT announced a date for that.  None of us know.  It would only be guesses.  But there isn't a lot to plan for with the exception of the short delay in getting funds transferred from MP to your bank account.  However they are working on resolving this issue, so there is still hope it will improve.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 23 of 45
latest reply

@tdpawn3 wrote:

It sounds like eBay made the transition relatively easy by giving you plenty of lead time to shift your business elsewhere.

Have you been able to do that over the past three months? Or after considering the other venue, did you decide to stay here after all?

Message 24 of 45
latest reply

The last I heard was that Ebays contract with Paypal was extended another year, so that would mean around July 2021 all sellers will be forced to use Managed payments unless Ebay changes their minds, which Sweetham recently stated is not on the table at this time.  It will be interesting to see how many sellers greatly reduce what they sell on Ebay or just close up shop when forced to either open up a new bank account or give Ebay access to their current bank account, which must have your business name on it!! 

If I planned on sticking around I would start looking now for a bank or credit union that will allow at least 30 ACH deposits a month without charging a fee for excessive deposits as many do have additional fees for this.  Personally I would also open a completely separate account that does not have any ties to my personal account so when there is some type of issue it cannot effect your ability to pay your monthly personal bills.  I do not know if Ebay has had any of these issues as only those enrolled in managed Payments are allowed to be admitted to the discussions in the Managed Payments Discussion Folder (once again Ebay showing that Transparency with their Sellers is definitely not at the top of their list).  

If your business sells a lot of smaller items that your customers tend to purchase many different items at the same time, you also might look into just how much higher your prices can be and yet be competitive since Managed Payments has added the $0.25 per item transaction fee to their fee schedule.  So where Paypal currently charges $0.30 per total transaction even if a customer purchases 10 different items, Managed Payments is going to charge you $3.00 for that same 10 item sale in addition to what ever discount rate they put into place at that time.  Also I have asked numerous times if Managed Payments is going to offer a Micropayments Account for those that have numerous invoices under $12, there has never been any response to that which leads me to believe that they do not intend to have that type of account for smaller invoice type accounts, so that is another expense you might need to look at when deciding it this change will be good for your business.

When this change does happen, I hope most if not all Sellers have done their homework to ensure that selling on Ebay after this change occurs will still be as beneficial for your business as it currently is.  If Ebay follows their current pattern more Sellers will be asked to voluntarily join Managed Payments starting around June of 2020  and then others will be told that they must join Managed Payments by a certain date (last year it was in the latter part of October), so it would be wise to try and make sure you have already done your homework mentioned above.

Hope this is helpful for those that have not kept up on things.

Message 25 of 45
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

When this change does happen, I hope most if not all Sellers have done their homework to ensure that selling on Ebay after this change occurs will still be as beneficial for your business as it currently is.

If costs rise, it is unlikely that selling on eBay will be "as beneficial as it currently is".

Some sellers may have to  settle for "more beneficial than the alternative😨

Message 26 of 45
latest reply

Or leave for that alternative!

Message 27 of 45
latest reply

Thank you! The multiple deposits is something I didn't consider about being charged by the bank with fees.

Message 28 of 45
latest reply

@cationdi wrote:

Thank you! The multiple deposits is something I didn't consider about being charged by the bank with fees.

There are still many banks that do not, probably even the majority but since you will probably now need a business account (if you did not already have one) it is just something that should be checked out so you do not get a sudden surprise.

Message 29 of 45
latest reply

If you're required to have a business checking account I wonder how many sole proprietors will have that as most business accounts mean additional fees and there will a lot of sellers who don't have a registered business name as such.
Message 30 of 45
latest reply