cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal opened an unauthorized use case for item. Now buyer is claiming an empty package.

PayPal opened an unauthorized use case on a sale. I had already shipped it, but it had not yet shown a scan.

It did scan the next day, and I was covered. I have not had to pay for the refund.

Today, that same "buyer" has emailed that the package was empty. Now what? Will eBay care that there was already an unauthorized use case?

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: PayPal opened an unauthorized use case for item. Now buyer is claiming an empty package.

I think on this one I'd call.

If it was UA use why would they care if the package was empty (or not)?

I'd also mention they already lost an UA chargeback on PayPal. They're not "supposed" to be able to open a case on ebay once they've lost one on PP.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Re: PayPal opened an unauthorized use case for item. Now buyer is claiming an empty package.

Today, that same "buyer" has emailed that the package was empty. Now what? Will eBay care that there was already an unauthorized use case?

Did you buyer now file a SNAD case on eBay for the empty box?  or is it another attempt through PayPal?  or is it just via messages? 
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

... i am very interested in the thread as i've never had this situation or one close to it yet...

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

so far it has been a message.

I responded that there was no money to refund because the transaction was reversed by PayPal. 5 or so hours later and no response?

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@jason_incognito wrote:

I responded that there was no money to refund because the transaction was reversed by PayPal. 5 or so hours later and no response?

did you check the paypal transaction?  it will tell you if you are eligible for their seller protection program.

... little did i know when i posted my comment here earlier ... (i just spent about 3hrs reading paypals SPP.  I got my first paypal case myself this even, saying she did not authorize the transaction.  i got together all the docs from usps, ebay and paypal itself to send to them tomorrow.  the case in the paypal resolution center does not have a link to upload supporting docs, so i need to call them in the morning.)

i do wish you the best with your case, heh, i'm learning the ropes on paypal same time as you!  (this is my first PP case after 5 yrs or so on ebay).

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I wouldn't even respond to the message.  Wait until they file the empty box claim, and you can go from there.  

It used to be that if the buyer went to PayPal first, they couldn't turn around and try on eBay (though the opposite is allowed).  Don't really know if that is the case, or because it is a "different reason" this time a case can be filed on either. 

Chances are the may not even be able to file an eBay dispute, thus going to PayPal first.  Keep in mind, however, that the "unauthorized use" may not even have been filed by the buyer,  Perhaps the owner of the credit card (different from the buyer)  initiated it, or the merchant services was questioning the purchase for other reasons.  You will never know. 

Just as an aside, years ago PayPal used to send the seller a message regarding an authorized use claim that didn't mention unauthorized use at all...It was "You have received potentially fraudulent funds".... like yeah?  But that was a whole other drama back then.  We used to call it "funny money"...

Keep us updated, please. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

If the buyer filed a dispute claiming unauthorized use of their account, PayPal's seller protection should protect you from loss if you have proof that you shipped the item to the address given in PayPal transaction.

You are now saying that the buyer who claimed that the transaction was unauthorized is complaining that the item that they didn't buy didn't arrive but the box it was shipped in did.  Frankly, it strikes me that the buyer needs to get his story straight and decide whether he actually ordered the item or not.

Of course, I suppose someone could have used his account to order without his knowledge and then intercepted his mail and stolen the item from it.  I believe that would indicate that the buyer has more of a security problem than he imagines.  If I was he I'd probably look seriously at those that may have access to his account, computer and his mail between the time it is delivered and the time he actually takes possession of it. 

Unfortunately, you will probably be required to refund if he files a SNAD but I'd be sure to contact the USPS Postal Inspectors and ask them to investigate the possibility of mail fraud and/or mail theft. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

How can they file a SNAD on an item they claim was UA use of their account?
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

his case definitely sounds like a scam trying to happen

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
How can they file a SNAD on an item they claim was UA use of their account?

Yes, that is something of a problem, but this is the world of eBay and PayPal so stranger things have happened.Smiley Frustrated

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Dear Buyer,

It seems this purchase was previously filed under an "unauthorized use" case with Paypal and it has been cancelled, all your monies should have been refunded and thus no further action is possible. 

Thank you,

Seller

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Buyer wasn’t refunded - the package tracking uploaded tied to the appropriate address the next day during the seller’s response window.

Curious on this one. Buyers CAN file not received and then later not as described.

I don’t recognize this purchase it’s fraud... oops, it’s mine but just arrived empty?

LOL. I’m usually pro-buyer but this reads like someone trying to get the item for free.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

Buyer wasn’t refunded - the package tracking uploaded tied to the appropriate address the next day during the seller’s response window.

Please don't start arguments, do not openly disagree with other posters by calling them out.

State your opinion, state your facts, but respect that we all have a right to our opinion.

The seller DID state there was a refund.

The seller did not have to PAY for it.

@jason_incognito wrote:

PayPal opened an unauthorized use case on a sale. I had already shipped it, but it had not yet shown a scan.

It did scan the next day, and I was covered. I have not had to pay for the refund.

Thank you now

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

Curious on this one. Buyers CAN file not received and then later not as described.

I don’t recognize this purchase it’s fraud... oops, it’s mine but just arrived empty?

LOL. I’m usually pro-buyer but this reads like someone trying to get the item for free.

One other thing, I said IT SEEMS!!

I did not say it WAS, I said it SEEMS, that means it APPEARS AS IF!!!

doggone it.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply