cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pages Refreshing While Listing, Get your S*** Together Ebay!!!!!

it boggles my mind how ebay is always asking for more of a cut from our sales with the ridiculous scam that is promoted listings, yet hardly even has a functional website. Every time I am listing something, at least once (usually 3-4 times!) the page will refresh and I lose information that I've input. I've seen several people post about this so I'm not the only one having this issue (in fact it happened while typing this post!). It's 100% an ebay specific issue, as it does not happen to me with any other sites. 

Please fix it? Your site and algorithm are top of the line trash, maybe only Amazon tops you in crapiness.

-Dave

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Promoted Listings is an optional TOOL that sellers can choose to use or not to use.  If you don't want to pay more fees, then simply don't use the tool.  There are lots of sellers that don't use it.

It is like any other tool that Ebay offers for a fee.  It is up to you.  But don't get mad at Ebay for having the tool, it wasn't meant for everyone to use.  Some sellers really like it

Have you reported the technical issue to Ebay?  If you don't, how are they suppose to know about the issue?

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@quamsbooks wrote:

it boggles my mind how ebay is always asking for more of a cut from our sales with the ridiculous scam that is promoted listings, yet hardly even has a functional website. Every time I am listing something, at least once (usually 3-4 times!) the page will refresh and I lose information that I've input. I've seen several people post about this so I'm not the only one having this issue (in fact it happened while typing this post!). It's 100% an ebay specific issue, as it does not happen to me with any other sites. 

Please fix it? Your site and algorithm are top of the line trash, maybe only Amazon tops you in crapiness.

-Dave

@quamsbooks  I've been having problems with data loss when completing listings on ebay as well, but it's not on 'refresh' (which is actually an auto-save), it's when I open the listing again from drafts. It happens nowhere else, and the only solution I've been able to come up with is to copy/save my descriptions (which are what is usually dropped) into a word file as a back up.

I don't see customer service helping with this, but you might post on the technical board.

It's frustrating.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

You may want to try setting up Templates instead.  I have much fewer problems with Templates.  I have a template set up for every category I regularly sell in.  I fill in ISBs that repeat from listing to listing and I have my TOS in the description as that is the same in all listings.  Then I have a format in which I write my descriptions.  I but the basics / outline into my template.

Then when I need to create a listing I just go and select the template I want to use and create a listing.

It works really well for me.  BTW Templates stick around, they do not get deleted after 90 days.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@quamsbooks ,

Never had the problem.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

You may want to try setting up Templates instead.  I have much fewer problems with Templates.  I have a template set up for every category I regularly sell in.  I fill in ISBs that repeat from listing to listing and I have my TOS in the description as that is the same in all listings.  Then I have a format in which I write my descriptions.  I but the basics / outline into my template.

Then when I need to create a listing I just go and select the template I want to use and create a listing.

It works really well for me.  BTW Templates stick around, they do not get deleted after 90 days.

I've always used templates - they're a great time saver.  Unfortunately, it makes no difference in this particular case - the entire description is wiped out. 😒 This started  happening with the newest iteration of the listing form.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I've noticed an uptick in glitches and problems and slowdowns as well. It's gotten worse since they laid off over 1000 people. I'm sure there were plenty of positions that did not need to be there but.... Tech staff to keep this patchwork programming together is not one of them

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@siamjane8 ,

Haven’t noticed any glitches lately. 

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

I've noticed an uptick in glitches and problems and slowdowns as well. It's gotten worse since they laid off over 1000 people. I'm sure there were plenty of positions that did not need to be there but.... Tech staff to keep this patchwork programming together is not one of them

They haven't laid off 1,000 employees yet.  It will be happening over the next few months.  So it is highly unlikely this is playing into problems you are running into right now.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Also, I doubt laying off those employees will affect all the problems this site has. eBay has always had a lot of glitches (sometimes less, sometimes more) and it goes back to 'code on the fly' that Meg Whitman used to brag about and seems to be part of the eBay DNA. There just isn't much due diligence when it comes to development and changes, and I expect the legacy code and documentation are a mess. They couldn't even revise the shipping page because no one knew how to do it - evidently there was no documentation. SMDH.

eBay isn't the only one, though. Mercari's site has never been very good when it comes to development, but right now it's a mess. Poshmark's pages hang up and sometimes listings won't even post.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

It’s happened so many times to me that I automatically copy the description before I step away from my computer. This glitch has developed a true auto-save feature in my routine. Like a Pavlovian response. 

And I agree that paying to be promoted is an absolute joke. I equate promoting an auction listing to playing the lottery. Maybe you’re item will get more views and if you are lucky enough a sale. But most of the time you loose your money. The suggested rate to promote a buy it now item is a very unrealistic percentage. Two years ago the rate for my like items hovered around 4% to 5%. Now I am consistently being suggested 9% to 12%. As though the rates increased with inflation. I have no words for this phenomenon. Just go ahead and suggest 50% and get it over with now.  Because this is where the suggested rate is going to be in a couple years. I hear you quamsbooks! 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Promoted listings has tracked lock stock and barrel with the decline in buyers/sellers/ and sales on the platform over the past 5 years. The more they push it- the less people visit and use ebay.  It ruins the buyer experience- being constantly aggravated with unrelated promoted items being shoved down your throat while simultaneously burying the actual organic matching listings that you were trying to find.

For a company that prides itself on being "fair" for social issues- when it comes to real life selling- ebay is all about the pay to play -whoever gives them the most money gets the sales----although it is as if the whole system is crumbling around them because even sellers who promote are getting sick of it and are tired of the lack of sales-   promoting is already at the end of its life cycle as a tool becase it no longer works- if everyone is promoting- then nobody is actually promoted!.......ebay just preys on sellers telling them to up their PL fee percentage.

It is unsustainable- I have bought over $4000 in jeep parts and accessories in the past 2 weeks for a restoration.....maybe 5% was on ebay because of fighting with the search to see what i typed in the box and/or EVERYTHING was cheaper by around 10% on other sites and even the manufactures direct website!!!!  PL has forced sellers to lose the one advantage ebay had- pricing.  Why would i pay more to buy on ebay that i could buy anywhere else?? 

Wake up ebay!!!!!! its not us- its you

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

We have had trouble for over a year listing the size, you have to go back 3 times on an item of clothing and replace the size. Sometimes it erases all the descriptions, then we start over.  It is frustrating and we hope it gets refreshed and updated soon.  Hopefully it gets better for all of us.

Thank you and keep plugging away.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@frecklesfinery88 wrote:

We have had trouble for over a year listing the size, you have to go back 3 times on an item of clothing and replace the size. Sometimes it erases all the descriptions, then we start over.  It is frustrating and we hope it gets refreshed and updated soon.  Hopefully it gets better for all of us.

@frecklesfinery88 

Have you reported the problem to Ebay?  If you have, do you have the ticket number?

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@frecklesfinery88 wrote:

I have that happen, too - I sent a long report to eBay (at their request) of stuff going wrong with the last iteration of the SYI form and it all got shuffled off. Bleh.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 23
latest reply