cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package in transit

Hello,  I have a package that was shipped on the 20th of December. It has not arrived yet. Tracking shows it has sat at several distribution centers and has bounced back and forth between 2 of these centers multiple times. Tracking says it is in transit but it hasn't moved for a number of days.  At what point do I refund? This has happened  to me before, just a few times over many years. I refund and then the package shows up. Buyer gets a free item and ebay won't do anything about it. I know covid is messing with things but my buyer is getting mad. Thanks.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Package in transit

@monty1964   The first thing I would do is input the tracking number into google and follow it to the USPS tracking site, and enable email/text notifications on the package.  I know some people don't think it works, but it has worked for me - somehow the notification (maybe it changes the package status somehow) bumps the package loose.  I would tell the buyer that I'm doing this and staying on top of it.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Package in transit

Reassure the buyer that you are making enquiries and staying on top of it. Keep them informed of your efforts. Thank them for their understanding in the time of Covid. Ask them for a few more days before you give up on the package.

Do as @chapeau-noir advises, it won’t hurt and absolutely might help.

If needed, talk to your local post office and see if there is additional info they can see from tracking that is not available to you. (I have cultivated a friendly relationship with our local postmaster who has stepped in once or twice over the years on my behalf when a problem arose.) See if you can get an updated delivery estimate. 

Whether or not you can buy time will be up to the patience of your buyer. But if they are aware of your concern, that might help get you a few more days.

If they open an Item Not Received case, you may be able to ask eBay for an extension if you can show recent package movement. Good luck.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Package in transit

The first thing I would do is input the tracking number into google and follow it to the USPS tracking site

Go directly to the USPS website (usps.com), click tracking, enter the tracking number, then use "missing mail" under Help in the upper right hand corner, follow the directions, fill out the form which goes to the Post Office that handles the address the item is being shipped to.  Best to open an account on the USPS website for better system admin and to have shipping supplies sent to your business.

Stay away from Google.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Package in transit

@shado-x wrote:

The first thing I would do is input the tracking number into google and follow it to the USPS tracking site

Go directly to the USPS website (usps.com), click tracking, enter the tracking number, then use "missing mail" under Help in the upper right hand corner, follow the directions, fill out the form which goes to the Post Office that handles the address the item is being shipped to.  Best to open an account on the USPS website for better system admin and to have shipping supplies sent to your business.

Stay away from Google.

All Google is, is a short-cut to USPS site.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Package in transit

Thank you to all for your helpful replies. I started the "missing mail" search and I hope to hear back from USPS soon.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Package in transit

@monty1964 wrote:

Hello,  I have a package that was shipped on the 20th of December. It has not arrived yet. Tracking shows it has sat at several distribution centers and has bounced back and forth between 2 of these centers multiple times. Tracking says it is in transit but it hasn't moved for a number of days.  At what point do I refund? This has happened  to me before, just a few times over many years. I refund and then the package shows up. Buyer gets a free item and ebay won't do anything about it. I know covid is messing with things but my buyer is getting mad. Thanks.

In your post you only asked one question - "At what point do I refund?" - so that is what I will respond to.

IMHO you refund by accepting any "Item Not Received" dispute as soon as your buyer files one.

Until then you try to politely hold off the buyer from filing that INR for as long as you can without provoking him to do anything rash. Something like: 

"I understand your frustration, and you can rest assured that USPS delays are frustrating for sellers as well. I have contacted the USPS and (done A and requested B and filed a C), and I hopefully this will help get your packaging moving. But if the tracking does not show any progress by (whatever date), you should file an "Item Not Received"  request with eBay and you will receive a full refund."

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Package in transit

I have this exact problem right now (And have had it happen a few times).
A package will get to a certain warehouse and just SIT, for DAYS...... then FINALLY move.
I don't think Ebay should make us refund them until at LEAST 30 days, since that is the arbitrary threshhold that the PO gives for "maybe it's lost"..... If I refund and then it shows up, then WHAT? They just get it for FREE??? Darnit.....

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Package in transit

It's all about 'HOW MUCH' are we talking about? 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Package in transit

Shipped on Dec 20.

There are two  holiday weekends in there as well as two normal weekends. So from the 26 calendar days, subtract 10 non-business days.

What window did eBay give for estimated delivery?

The buyer cannot force a refund  until that window closes.

Has the buyer opened a Dispute? If so, put the tracking number in and give the last location that the shipment was recorded.

It may not actually still be there. That is just where the barcode was last swipe.

If she hasn't opened a Dispute, don't encourage her.

If she has and you cannot prove delivery (not shipping only delivery will save you) refund as graciously as you can.

I see you realize that stuff happens, and that you have had this problem a few times over many years.

It's business, not personal.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Package in transit

I don't think Ebay should make us refund them until at LEAST 30 days, since that is the arbitrary threshhold that the PO gives for "maybe it's lost".....

Not everyone use the PO for shipping. And even then, pricier PO services can be faster.

I basically agree and the best way to do this without an eBay change of policy is to use one of the vaguer terms for shipping ( economy instead of ExpressPost) even if you are using the faster service. This will extend that window I mentioned above.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Package in transit

This has happened to me many times. This is what i do.

Keep up a good rapport with the buyer. Apologize for the delay.  Be humble. Keep in touch.

Assure them that the item will eventually show up.

Get them to hold off on filing a INR case with ebay for as long as you can.

At some point where I feel they have waited long enough, I refund them.

I kindly ask that if/when they receive the item that they pay me back.

In each case the item shows up a few days to a week later and the buyer pays me back. 

Good luck!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Package in transit

Hello all, Package was delivered to buyer within 3 days of me filing a missing mail claim.  Local postal clerk messed up and somehow mis-keyed the info for the delivery label. Not sure why someone along the way couldn't have just looked at the label I put on the package and sent it along the way.

Buyer was upset at first, opened a case, and item was delivered. All is well with him.

The problem with refunding for a missing item is you have no recourse if the item does show up.  I have had a few instances where the buyer did not pay after being refunded.  Free item for them and ebay has told me they can't do anything about it. BTW, I am talking about uninsured items.

I filed a claim last year for a lost item.  Had not yet refunded the buyer. Item was delivered the same day I got the insurance check. I gave it back to the post office. Thanks for the input.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Package in transit

If you voluntarily refund the buyer within 3 days of the case being opened, you are eligible for reimbursement from eBay on appeal if the item is delivered to the customer within 30 days of the case being closed. More details on the process here

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 14 of 14
latest reply