cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package Redirection Scams - How does the shipper liability factor in?

If a package redirection scam leverages a shipping label where the tracking is legit, but the address has been altered...doesn't it expose all transactions to irrecoverable losses when the MBG uses the tracking status 'Delivered' as a validation?

1) Rock in a box trick sent to a random address in same ZIP, tracking says 'Delivered'

2) Goods in a box sent to a seller's accomplice address, tracking says 'Delivered'

3) Returns in a box sent to a buyer's accomplice address, tracking says 'Delivered'

There seems like no way to combat these scams unless the shipping provider honors the commitment that the destination address for the tracking info matches what was electronically entered into the system.

Shipping Contract Address + Tracking Status 'Delivered' = Contract fullfilled.

Am I missing something?

At what point does it become the USPS's (or other providers) liability to ensure the electronic address for tracking is the address where delivery occurs?

Is there a way to get out of this scam if it happens? Is there a way to avoid it?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Package Redirection Scams - How does the shipper liability factor in?

I'm wondering if the Postmaster for your post office could write a letter declaring the original tracking label was altered.  But, I doubt they would being that they wouldn't even allow you to receive the package.  It's still worth a shot.

I wouldn't let this go so easily.  There's plenty of posts on these boards regarding channels you can use to file complaints.  If it's possible, claim the phone was stolen as well...and it was stolen.  

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Where can i start reporting this issue? can you link me to those channels? I will try to go to my post office aswell, i dont think the package is there anymore though

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Check out the link below and @mudshark61369 , read their instructions and the link they provided for Ebay appeals

But. I also suggest filing as many complaints as possible, and I re-call one poster/Ebay member that had the system dialed in.  I'm searching for the posts now.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Seller-fraud/m-p/31924614

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Here is mudsharks post:

eBay's and other 3rd party online retail site's automated Item not received (INR) system can only look for a Delivered scan when a tracking number is uploaded.  Since they are neither the sender or recipient they are not entitled to more info from the USPS, FedEx, UPS and other shipping agencies.

You can appeal the decision (link below) however, you have to do a bit of leg work to win the appeal.

Go to your  local Post Office, UPS or FedEx store and bring proof of you being the recipient, eBay Order Details and Purchase History pages w/ the tracking number on it.   If you used a phone/tablet etc. for the purchase bring that, or print copies of those pages if you used a computer.

At the store ask the clerk to compare the shipping label info address, package type/size/weight to the Order details info. They cannot give out specific information, but they can write a note on company stationary  saying things like; the shipping label's address does not match yours, and if applicable that the package type/size/weight. doesn't match what you should have received. 

The note needs to be signed and dated by the clerk and give the store# or P.O. zip code.

With that info you can file an appeal. When you do there will be a place to upload documentation, a clear photo or scan of the note.  Appeals are looked at by real people and the info you provide will cause you to win.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item-buyers?id...

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

First things first, get the documents, do the leg work and you should win.  I hope you do.  Later today, when I have time, I'll look for the other posts I mentioned regarding complaints.  But, the primary focus for you is to win the appeal.  Good luck.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

This is a real issue that eBay has yet to address. Correct me if wrong. I can't keep up everything. 

I was burned once (knock on wood). Ebay told buyer to return item. I did not have to provide a label in this case. I get a notice about 7-10 days later that the item was delivered, and buyer has been refunded. I never received the item back. I posted about this about 2 years ago and questioned why I was never provided a tracking number so I could track. One response was that is to make sure I don't try to interfere with delivery. Really? 

Anyway, maybe this is why if a buyer wants to return for refund, they spend their own money. Maybe even to send back with signature required and/or eBay giving the seller the chance to inspect the return item before issuing refund. Not just an AI / bots issuing automatic refunds based on tracking#. 

Just suggestions, not a fix. 

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Ok so on my post someone commented with a link to the twitter page "ask ebay" So i told them my case on the messages and they said to give them a bit and took like 15 minutes then they said this 

Screenshot_20230412-192942_Twitter.png

 and was followed by this email 

Picsart_23-04-12_19-48-38-514.jpg

 So im glad it went well in the end

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions, I appreciate it.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

I have this going on right now, however, USPS was able to retrieve the package and get it to me the same day. It is not what I had ordered (I paid nearly 1000 dollars). The package was a small trinket with some trash inside. 

I took a picture and opened a Wrong Item Received case. Just today I get a label from the seller, they accepted my return!

The only issue is, the label is via FedEx and the address is to an empty parking lot. They will either send the package back to me, or hold it at FedEx at which point it will be past my return window. 

This parking lot is literally 15 miles away from me. I just got back from there with pictures. It's also visible on google maps. 

This ordeal has now consumed nearly two full days.

I am at a loss on what to do. Will eBay be able to see the label is what the seller provided, and in case it is not delivered, will they side with me since I sent it to the return address provided? 

Please help..

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@us2014.wojte wrote:

I have this going on right now, however, USPS was able to retrieve the package and get it to me the same day. It is not what I had ordered (I paid nearly 1000 dollars). The package was a small trinket with some trash inside. 

I took a picture and opened a Wrong Item Received case. Just today I get a label from the seller, they accepted my return!

The only issue is, the label is via FedEx and the address is to an empty parking lot. They will either send the package back to me, or hold it at FedEx at which point it will be past my return window. 

That won't matter. You will be using the seller's return label as you should in order to collect your refund. It is the seller's responsibility to provide a deliverable return address, not yours.

Even if the trinket comes back to you, the unsuccessful attempted return delivery in tracking should be enough to get your refund. The (scam) seller was not expecting that you would actually have something to return as part of your Not As Described complaint.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Thank you, that puts me at ease. I am friendly with the carrier and he immediately took matters into his own hands. I feel like USPS went far and beyond for me this time. 

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

The (scam) seller was not expecting that you would actually have something to return as part of your Not As Described complaint.

@a_c_green 

The "tell" here is that a SNAD dispute was filed instead of an INR.   

Though I still am not able to fully recommend that a buyer file a SNAD when there is recorded delivery, and there is evidence that the parcel was NOT intended for the buyer as opposed to simply being misdelivered, it works.  It works much better than a buyer victim insisting they got nothing (INR) when tracking shows delivered. 

Ebay does not require the same item be 'delivered' back to the seller anymore, and will not withhold a full refund
 to the buyer victim as a result. Shipping back a "box of air" will suffice. For the required "photo" in order for a buyer to file SNAD,  a photo of a dead duck, or, as in a recent post, a picture of Barbie and Ken dolls will suffice. 

Otherwise, the victim, be they a buyer or seller getting a "cheap trinket return" to their local gas station is stuck with the automated system.  These issues have been resolved more efficiently by eBay customer service available through the social media portals. 

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

The "tell" here is that a SNAD dispute was filed instead of an INR.   

Though I still am not able to fully recommend that a buyer file a SNAD when there is recorded delivery, and there is evidence that the parcel was NOT intended for the buyer as opposed to simply being misdelivered, it works.  It works much better than a buyer victim insisting they got nothing (INR) when tracking shows delivered.

Well, we're kind of past the point of deliberating whether an INR or NAD should be filed anyway. The modified Ship To: address on the label was obviously intended to trump an INR dispute, but now that the buyer has the package anyway, and it's not what was purchased (of course), then a Not As Described return for refund is entirely justified.

@ittybitnot wrote:

Ebay does not require the same item be 'delivered' back to the seller anymore, and will not withhold a full refund to the buyer victim as a result.  

Agreed, and I don't know that they ever did require the "same" item to be delivered back, did they? Receiving the wrong item and returning it has always been a supported action.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply