cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PARTS REPAIR MEANS JUST THAT. EBAY GROW UP!

at some point ebay needs to STAND UP!

if you sell electronic components on ebay  you are asking for returns

lOOk at any of my audio/video listings active or sold i am extremely thorough

when you sell an item as parts repair  it SHOULD BE JUST THAT!

use a vcr/dvd combo as an example

you sell it as parts repair because  the vcr works but dvd is dead

when it's parts repair anything can break down including the functions that are working

it's no different than a car with issues, you buy it as such &  it may run for two weeks

it may run without issue for months or years or it dies in 3 days even though the starter or battery etc...

were working but other factors caused it to break down

but on ebay if a buyer CRIES the once working vcr is no longer working on an already defective unit

ebay has in many cases refunded the buyer

ebay needs to STAND UP

parts repair IS parts repair

If you're lazy & say only " "has some issues," or my all time favorite "consistant with age" but do nothing more than that & ebay sides with the buyer it's on you but if you invest the time in your detail than...

when you buy a used component that is not functioning 100% there are no guarantees

what is working will continue to do so it's not only THAT simple it's COMMON SENSE

i see many sellers saying nothing & i'm sure it's just to cover themselves
"not powered on, not tested," may be true if they are uncomfortable doing so but i know personally sellers who would rather lose money on a sale than fear a return so they claim it not tested or working even when they know it is working but would rather not say so they're covered & the buyer receives a unit that is often in much better working condition than they assumed.

because ebay's become SYNONYMOUS with giving in to buyers demands i now limit international electronic sales

it's one thing if a heavy unit is being returned on a PARTS REPAIR sale but it's another if it's in a foreign country

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: PARTS REPAIR MEANS JUST THAT. EBAY GROW UP!

@buytodayshipnextday wrote:

when it's parts repair anything can break down including the functions that are working

eBay requires you to give an accurate description of the item.

If you cannot give an accurate description of an item,  then that item is not a good fit for the eBay venue.

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

If it does not work either fix it, or throw it away and save yourself headaches.  Buyers do not want to test your stuff for you.

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

I think the two replies so far have missed the point...

I read OPs post as there are no warranties...which is exactly how it should work. As long as the item works upon arrival, anything that occurs after is the buyer's problem.

If someone wants to predict the future, I can point them in the direction of some EBay sellers who sell those Magic 8 Balls... but please don't go returning those too just because they "don't work" too. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

You have many items listed in used or pre owned condition, but then you say this and that worked but this and that didn’t in the listings.

You can’t do that: if you list as used or pre owned, it needs to be working, no matter what you put in your description.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 5 of 43
latest reply

I've got nothing to add, but I love your user name 😎

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 43
latest reply

If you are trying to sell items that do not work correctly, you are begging for returns even if they are listed as "For Parts, Not Working"

It is junk and should be treated as such.  I recycle junk or give it away to someone who takes it to a flea market after verifying what works and what does not.

It is not worth the trouble, especially if it weighs more than a couple pounds because sellers eat the shipping on a INAD.

Posting ID
Message 7 of 43
latest reply

If it is listed for "Parts or Repair", it should be considered nothing more than that. There should be no expectation that it will work or function as it originally did. That being said it still should have a description that fits what is being sold. As long as it is clear there really should be no argument on returning (return should be up to the seller) unless it was grossly misrepresented. (which does happen) 

I am referring to anything of value (vintage amplifiers, vintage stereo components) that the parts themselves have a perceived value and need. 

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

Disagree with responders saying if its broke throw it away, and agree entirely with the OP.

I buy stuff for parts.

Sold for parts not working means just that....not working.  Period.

Get a good deal on a non working item for a part you need, maybe a knob, faceplate, etc.  I don't need it working.  You going to buy a 100 year old collectible antique radio for parts not working and complain it doesn't work when you get it, and people say throw away stuff that doesn't work.  smdh

I don't know what the heck ebay is thinking when they have a condition selection like that and then side with a buyer for not working.  Crazy.

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

Sadly, even listed under the correct category "Parts only, not working" still won't save you from an INAD and you are best to simply accept/return/refund before eBay step in - however you would then appeal to eBay for a courtesy reimbursement of lost funds

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 10 of 43
latest reply

@britmyst7 

Then it should be bought on CL. This is Ebay where buyers have a money back guarantee.  Put junk in junkyard or sell out of your yard. It makes Ebay look like a trash site.

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

@buytodayshipnextday wrote:

at some point ebay needs to STAND UP!

if you sell electronic components on ebay  you are asking for returns

lOOk at any of my audio/video listings active or sold i am extremely thorough

when you sell an item as parts repair  it SHOULD BE JUST THAT!

use a vcr/dvd combo as an example

you sell it as parts repair because  the vcr works but dvd is dead

I might get my head ripped off but I'll respond. 

Since you refer to a VCR, I'll assume that one of the VCRs you sold is the genesis of the problem you're complaining about. 

I see that you sold 4 listings of VCRs but all 4 listings were sold as "pre-owned" and NOT "For parts or not working." You listed your items in the incorrect condition so this is on you. 

When you sell as pre-owned, they have to be working. 

If there's any chance that it's not working or that some parts aren't working, list as "for parts or not working" and let the buyer be pleasantly surprised to find that more parts work than don't.

Here's the policy: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/item-conditions-category?id=47...

And the section that applies to what you sold: 

Cameras & Photo, Cell Phones & Accessories, Computers/Tablets & Networking, Electronics, Home & Garden, Musical Instruments & Gear, Headphones, Portable Audio & Home Audio, Video Game Consoles, Smart Home

• New: The brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item is in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details
  • Open box: The item is in excellent, new condition with no wear. The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or it may be in the original packaging but not sealed. The item includes original accessories. The item may be a factory second. See the seller's listing for full details and a description
  • Certified - Refurbished: The item is in a pristine, like-new condition. It has been professionally inspected, cleaned, and refurbished by the manufacturer or a manufacturer-approved vendor to meet manufacturer specifications. The item will be in new packaging with original or new accessories. See the seller's listing for full details
  • Excellent - Refurbished: The item is in like-new condition, backed by a one year warranty. It has been professionally refurbished, inspected and cleaned to excellent condition by qualified sellers. The item includes original or new accessories and will come in new generic packaging. See the seller's listing for full details
  • Very Good - Refurbished: The item shows minimal wear and is backed by a one year warranty. It is fully functional and has been professionally refurbished, inspected and cleaned to very good condition by qualified sellers. The item includes original or new accessories and will come in new generic packaging. See the seller's listing for full details
  • Good - Refurbished: The item shows moderate wear and is backed by a one year warranty. It is fully functional and has been professionally refurbished, inspected and cleaned to good condition by qualified sellers. The item includes original or new accessories and will come in a new generic packaging. See the seller's listing for full details
  • Seller refurbished: The item has been restored to working order by the eBay seller or a third party. This means the item was inspected, cleaned, and repaired to full working order and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in original packaging. See seller's listing for full details
  • Used: The item was previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but it is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that was used. See the seller's listing for full details and a description of any imperfections
  • For parts or not working: The item does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller's listing for full details
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

Then it should be bought on CL. This is Ebay where buyers have a money back guarantee.  Put junk in junkyard or sell out of your yard. It makes Ebay look like a trash site.

I have to disagree with you on this one but it's a risk the seller takes when they post items in this condition.  If eBay tried to constrain the site to just new items it would take down a large percentage of the current listings as well as cut heavily into eBay's revenue. As for the MBG it probably gets used and/or abused as much for new items as it does used. 

Difficult to clearly define what "junk" is as the old saying goes one man's junk is another man's treasure. 

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

People who say use Craigslist amuse me and show they are stuck in the past. Marketplace has been ahead of CL for the better part of 5 years. That would be like mentioning Yahoo auctions today.

There's an easy way to fix this..remove the MBG/returns function from parts/returns category completely.

I quit selling a lot of broken items because people were buying them, trying to fix them, and when failing...opening a return.

I sold an antique radio with a bad cord. Didn't feel like messing with the cord. Sold for parts/repair, buyer gets it and transformer is blown, and eBay STILL LETS THEM RETURN IT..where they used no packaging material AT ALL and it arrived completely smashed.

eBay doesn't include insurance on their return labels either, so you are 100% SOL.

There's a ton of vintage electronics that people buy cheap to fix on their own because if you know what you are doing, it's a great way to save money. You might have to put $15 worth of components in an old tube amp you bought for $200 "for parts/repair" that's easily worth $1,000.

But it's really stupid to allow INAD/MBG on parts/repairs condition. In fact, make the buyer click "I accept" on a window when checking out "by paying for this item, you understand the item is currently not working, and seller makes no guarantees to the repairability of it".

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

People who say use Craigslist amuse me and show they are stuck in the past. Marketplace has been ahead of CL for the better part of 5 years. That would be like mentioning Yahoo auctions today.

There's an easy way to fix this..remove the MBG/returns function from parts/returns category completely.

I quit selling a lot of broken items because people were buying them, trying to fix them, and when failing...opening a return.

I sold an antique radio with a bad cord. Didn't feel like messing with the cord. Sold for parts/repair, buyer gets it and transformer is blown, and eBay STILL LETS THEM RETURN IT..where they used no packaging material AT ALL and it arrived completely smashed.

eBay doesn't include insurance on their return labels either, so you are 100% SOL.

There's a ton of vintage electronics that people buy cheap to fix on their own because if you know what you are doing, it's a great way to save money. You might have to put $15 worth of components in an old tube amp you bought for $200 "for parts/repair" that's easily worth $1,000.

But it's really stupid to allow INAD/MBG on parts/repairs condition. In fact, make the buyer click "I accept" on a window when checking out "by paying for this item, you understand the item is currently not working, and seller makes no guarantees to the repairability of it".

What a GREAT idea/concept. 

Message 15 of 43
latest reply