cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over pricing Items.

Earlier I posted my thoughts on overpricing of items on EBAY. I failed to read the rules governing Naming.  I apologize for that. My post was promptly removed.  My only point is before you Buy an item, (Especially Guitars)  that has a fixed price, (no Bidding, or Best offer) Do yourself a favor. Research the item before you commit to buying it. Sometimes you'll be surprised at how much money you'll save. Sometimes you can save well over a thousand dollars, and get a lot more benefits then can be offered from an eBay seller.. Just because it's being sold on EBAY doesn't mean it's always a good deal. Maybe even most of the time it is, but not always. make your purchase experience a happy one, not a regretful one. Sometimes It just Buggs me bad! to see Overpricing. Makes me feel that somebody going to get taken advantage of. Sorry again for my previous post. Hopefully this time I won't get Canceled.

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Over pricing Items.

And your saying that the only venue you have is eBay? Hmm!  But Regardless, you can do whatever you want. That doesn't mean people like me will ever buy it from you when they can purchase the item for $23.99.99. Get free shipping, a pack of 3 picks, a nice capo, nice hard case with a humidifier, strings for a year, a, 30 day money back guarantee, a lifetime warranty and free access to their website courses.  I know this because I made that purchase from the dealer about 2 weeks ago. Yeah, I'm probably not going to buy yours, and I'm probably going to tells other not to buy yours either.  I'm not saying, even remotely, that you would ever try to rip anyone off. but face the fact, there's a lot of greedy people in the world who do just that.

Message 46 of 63
latest reply

Understood.

Mine is selling right now as I am the lowest price - highest is over $300.  No one is making these Buyers "buy".  I am not selling necessities, for certain.........these are Lego sets.  lol

Yes, Buyers need to research what things cost - but so many on here raise the price, to put it on "sale" to mark it down and make it "look" like the Buyer is getting a deal.  Google is your friend if you are a buyer - in 5 min or less, I can readily ascertain what the price point average is on most "new" type items.  As for collectibles - you cannot, as condition plays such a large role in the market value.

If it were me, I'd let this guitar situation go.  I get that you think it is horrible this seller is selling for that, but they are free to do so.......as long as it is not a necessity, e-Bay does not seem to care.  And honestly, some folks have more money than sense.......not much you or I can do about that.

Have a great night.  

p.s.  This is my old guitar that I had re-habbed for my son this past Christmas.  You could not sell me a "new" guitar or give me one for free.  There are however, many older versions of amazing craftsmanship that I truly would love to own..............there is a '52 Fender telecaster that I have been coveting from a local seller/shop for over a year now.  🎸

vzafu7honivmozpzrysr.jpg

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 47 of 63
latest reply

I was trying to say just because something is listed and sold on eBay for more than item cost of the item from the manufacturer doesn’t mean they are making money or trying rip someone off. In my example I would have made nothing assuming I lower selling price by what I estimated shipping was at the time of purchase from manufacturer. It is not free to sell on eBay, Amazon, or most other platforms.

There are many people who buy things and for whatever reason decide they don’t want it anymore after the return period. So, they try to sell it on eBay for what it would take to break even. However, by the time they add in all of the other costs they have into the item in addition to the purchase price of the item itself plus the costs to sell the item the selling price is a lot higher than the purchase price of the item from manufacturer.

I’m not saying what you are saying not true. 

Message 48 of 63
latest reply

Thank you . You are absolutely correct in every way. I do need to let this go. also that's a nice guitar. it almost looks like it's an older Gibson ES335 or modeled after the 335 style. I have way too many guitars. I've been giving them to my Grandchildren. hopefully they will continue playing them and not just put them in the closet.

Thank you again.

Message 49 of 63
latest reply

@wilhar_6586 wrote:

What your talking about is Apples and Oranges. I can't believe what I've said can be so easily misconstrued. So I'll try to made this as clear and simple as I possibly can.  If your attempting to take a guitar that the brand new cost of it is the everyday purchase price is $2,399. One that can be purchase any day of the week, direct from the maker himself, then turn around and attempt to sell it for $3,799.99 That's Just not right. I don't care what you say or how you say it, it's just not right. Only a fool would buy it. But then again, a fool and his money soon parts, isn't that what they say. I call it pure unadulterated Greed! pure and simple. Where's the honesty and integrity in that. Good Lord, No wonder our America is circling the drain of the toilet.   

I'm not misconstruing anything.  Neither is anyone else.  I understand you.   I just disagree with you.   If a seller wishes to try & sell above MSRP, they are free to do so.  Either the market will let them know it isn't feasible or the market will let them know it is.  I frequently sell above MSRP, though my products don't run in the thousands.  If it's worth it to someone, then it's their prerogative to buy it.   

As I stated, I have also typically found that when a buyer claims they can get the "exact same" item somewhere else cheaper, they really can't.  It's usually not available in the size or color they want.  

This is just basic free market capitalism or Greed is Good - Gordon Gecko LOL.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 50 of 63
latest reply

This post is not related to eBay selling but  it does about pricing.  In the mid 1980,  I had a sudden business trip (meeting with Coca Cola a potential customer for a  75 forklifts) that would take me from Houston, Texas to Monterey, Mexico,  When  I arrived at the airport I noticed my shoes needed a shoe shine.  At the airport the shoe shine guys wanted $6.50 for a shine - some people in  paying the fee - I said heck no.  I'll wait  and   buy a can of  Kiwi polish in Mexico.  When I arrived at the hotel there was a nice city park and I went for a walk and look for a store.  Spotted an outside shoe shine stand with a young man offering shines for 50 cents (American) - I said H E L L yeah.  The young man worked on my shoes for a half hour, the best shine  I have  had  am  an avid DYI er  - was trained for two years to a "spit shine" the Army way  and polish  the brass with Brasso).  Gave the  young man 3 US dollars.   We both were very happy. 

My question to you  is simple "Should the shoes shine man at the Houston airport have lowered his prices to 50 cents or even 3 bucks - heck no - free enterprise - some people were willing to pay the price at the Houstom Hobby airport.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 51 of 63
latest reply

@wilhar_6586 wrote:

And it's none of your concern how I feel about dishonesty and lack of integrity. Nor is it any of your concern how I express my feelings. If you don't like it then, don't read it.....  

On the contrary, you made your feelings and how you expresss them my business when you made them public here, soliciting opinion and comment on them. 

=

Message 52 of 63
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

To tag on to what you wrote. IMO the sellers who have overpriced items correlate with having the most nonpaying bidders, and who have the most returns. Many times, a buyer sees something they want but does not change the best match default when searching. After they hit the BIN button, they continue to search and realize there are several other exact items listed for less. If they already paid, they have two options: ask seller to cancel, or wait until the item arrives and claim snad. Now they got out of the over-priced deal and purchase the one for less.

An example the other day a coworker told me about his grandfather's sports memorabilia collection that was given to him and asked me about selling on Ebay. I asked to see a few of the items to help him out. Each one he said he thought was worth X amount. I showed him "sold" listings and he was shocked at the difference. In almost every case the highest priced "sold" one was "lower" than any of the current listed ones. What he thought was worth (on Ebay), $700 (listed), was actually selling for $200 (sold).

More like - "After they hit the BIN button, ebay shows them other listings that are cheaper that never showed up in their search".

thinking about the firefly scalpers especially..guitarists will know what firefly is

Message 54 of 63
latest reply

Gas was $4.10 a gallon here on LI today.

Two small mixed drinks & a personal pizza cost $35 plus tip at a local Pub.

Nobody has a problem w/ that.

Only on eBay...

Shipping is not an entitlement, it's a convenience.
Convenience costs money.
Shipping ain't free.
All Customers have a need,
Some are more needy than others.
Message 55 of 63
latest reply

There is more to "selling" - on eBay - one must factor in the possibility of paying for returns, too.

That adds cost, esp., if there isn't enough fraud/abuse oversight.

Shipping is not an entitlement, it's a convenience.
Convenience costs money.
Shipping ain't free.
All Customers have a need,
Some are more needy than others.
Message 56 of 63
latest reply

Echo,    Also factor in that some of us are trying to earn a living.    Feed our families,   Stay ahead of inflation,  Go out to dinner once in a while.

We see a steady parade of posters that can't understand why a seller on eBAy would want to make a profit.    Heaven help us if THEIR paycheck got delayed a week or 2.    But if we go bankrupt or simply fade into the woodwork it's not their problem as long as they get a "Good deal"

A "Buyer"  wants to advise me on my profit margins,   What he (Or she)  perceives to be "Fair"  market value can go pound sand.

If my price is too high then hit the back button and go buy somewhere else.    

Message 57 of 63
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Many times, a buyer sees something they want but does not change the best match default when searching. After they hit the BIN button, they continue to search and realize there are several other exact items listed for less. If they already paid, they have two options: ask seller to cancel, or wait until the item arrives and claim snad. Now they got out of the over-priced deal and purchase the one for less.

Why do you always promote that buyers dishonest claim SNAD for remorse returns? 

If that's what you do (or promote), it's not honest. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 58 of 63
latest reply

@wilhar_6586 wrote:

My entire point in beginning of this post was just to advise people to do their research before they make a purchase in order that they may have an accurate understanding of the value of the item they're looking at. 

Everyone here read and agrees with your "entire point." 

The argument (or rather discussion) comes from your assertions of greed, dishonesty and gouging among sellers who have the "nerve" to make a profit and name-calling a buyer as a "fool" for paying may more than retail.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 59 of 63
latest reply

Prices vary as the crow flies.  The buyer always has to check prices to insure the best value for their money. That applies to all selling venues.  One can not assume any selling venue will always if ever have the best prices.  

Message 60 of 63
latest reply