cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions Needed

I have an item up for $89.99+$3 s/h OBO. I based that on a $75 sale of a very similar item recently. It did seem a bit high, but I figured I'd throw it up at that price and see what happens.

I received an offer for $40+$3 s/h. Out of principle (yeah, I know...principles), I countered at $45+$3, so it was at least 50% of my asking price. He countered again at $45 all-in. Ugh, ok that's good enough, I'm ok with that price. Problem is he told me he wanted it for $45 all-in with his best offer for $45. Obviously there is still $3 shipping, so $48 total.

I messaged him and said I'd decline the offer and to just send me another offer for $42, plus shipping that's the $45 he wants. I'll accept, easy peasy.

A day goes by, no reply. No big deal, I message the next day. No reply. I get one overnight last night and I read it this morning. He said he's out of town and can't do it now, but he'll do it when he gets home on Monday. I don't understand why, if he can log into his eBay account to send me a message, why can't he log into his eBay account and send an offer?

He strikes me as someone who may not "get around" to paying after I accept his offer. Should I just block and move on, or should I continue to make this sale work? Am I ridiculous and being paranoid? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Opinions Needed

You are spending too much time on this. Decline his offer and move along. You've already advised him on what to do so leave it be.  If he really wants it for that price he will return and send you another offer for $42. Stop spending time on this. Perhaps someone else will come along and send you an offer for $50 and you'll be in a better position. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You are spending too much time on this. Decline his offer and move along. You've already advised him on what to do so leave it be.  If he really wants it for that price he will return and send you another offer for $42. Stop spending time on this. Perhaps someone else will come along and send you an offer for $50 and you'll be in a better position. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

This is why I always offer free shipping on Best Offer listings. There's no confusion about whether shipping is part of the offer, and if the buyer lives closer than Zone 8 then I have more wiggle room on the price. 

In this case, I wouldn't block but I also wouldn't engage.  Just send the offer for $42 + $3, wait and see if he comes through on Monday.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

This is why I always offer free shipping on Best Offer listings. There's no confusion about whether shipping is part of the offer, and if the buyer lives closer than Zone 8 then I have more wiggle room on the price. 

In this case, I wouldn't block but I also wouldn't engage.  Just send the offer for $42 + $3, wait and see if he comes through on Monday.

He would have to send me the offer in this case. As suggested I'll just let it be. If he's as flaky as he seems I'll probably just never get from him again. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply