cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offers staying listed ... ?

Hello All!

First time we have seen this. Accepted an offer this morning and instead of going to the "waiting for payment", item still shows for sale. Thought there was a post somewhere about this, but couldn't find it, so we apologize if this has been discussed recently.

Is eBay now finally keeping items listed until an item is actually paid for? This would be an awesome upgrade, if so!

Thank you in advance for any thoughts on knowledge on the above!!

Kiks

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

That's it.  Stays listed.

Some referring to it as the" you snooze, you lose"

Yup, some other posts about it.  Someone may click in with links to those posts.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Love it!! 

Thank you, @buyselljack2016 !!!

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

From my reads, when the seller accepts,  it apparently then sends a message back to the buyer stating the  seller has "sent them an offer".  (the amount being that which they offered the seller) It is going to confuse some buyers, but at least it's a step forward by not taking the listing out. 

All this of course is dependent upon the seller having disabled the buyer requirement to "preauthorize" payment for "autopay" on offers.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@kickin.assets 

Yes, there will be no more "auto billing" going on for accepted offers.  If you accept multiple offers on different items from the same buyer, you will not be able to invoice them.  You can accept as many offers as you like for the same item.  Maybe they will pay, maybe they won't.  Your item will remain for sale until someone pays, just like always.  There is no more filing non-payment if they don't pay for your accepted offer, which is renamed YOU SENT AN OFFER, when you did not.  

Here is a post from yesterday, with links to other discussions as well. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Best-offer-glitch/m-p/34187168#M2329678

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Definitely like that an item stays live until paid! This is the first time we ever ran into this and buyer has since paid! Yay!! No more non-payment issues is a very good thing 😁

Thank you @ittybitnot for this information and the links to other discussions! Very helpful!!

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

So basically, if you accept an offer now and they don't pay they don't get a ding for non payment? How sweet.

And WTH does ebay have to change it to say you SENT an offer? Why can they NOT ever do things the simple way?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Definitely like that an item stays live until paid!

@kickin.assets 

It is the same procedure that has always been in effect when a SELLER GENERATES AN OFFER.  When a seller used that, they did not get to know to what person they were sending the offer  i.e. to multiple buyers for the same item or to the same buyer for multiple items.  

I presume that is why eBay is changing the name of your ACCEPTED OFFERS to "You sent an offer" when you actually did no such thing).  At least you can see who you sent offers to (accepted their offer), but if you wanted to send an invoice to a buyer who made multiple offers for your products for combined shipping, you can't.  They pay the full price plus shipping for each one, and  pound sand because you retain your default to Yes Buyer Requirements. 

Buyers are NOT getting notice that their offer was accepted, even though you did accept it. Some have gotten notice that SELLER SENT YOU AN OFFER which one might expect to see if the seller sent a counter offer.   Buyers nor sellers can invoice for combined shipping which was a major reason why buyers would not participate when they were required to provide a payment source in order to proceed.  They still are required to do so for sellers who retain those settings, but even if the buyer complies,  and their offer is accepted there is really not much of a benefit except for they don't have to pay, will not be auto-billed, and no danger of an UNPAID ITEM strike, so they can continue on to make offers and not pay for all sellers that keep the buyer requirements in place. 

I hope some of those links will address the changes for auctions, too.   Auto billing will be delayed by three days.  No more getting paid instantly when the auction ends.  A seller has to wait only 72 hours now instead of 96.  Sellers are allowed to send a combined invoice to save the buyer shipping charges for multiple items, or ignore the request and auto-billing will commence at full price and shipping on each auction on day three. 

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Yikes, yes multi-purchase will be an issue, but TBH, it almost always has been. As stated earlier by @buyselljack2016, there will be confused buyers. Just what sellers don't need! Especially when they don't see we accepted their offer, but that they received an offer.

From our experience, buyers don't read and also rarely put multi items in cart, but purchase separately, so our combined shipping offer ends up falling back on us having to refund any difference. As far as un-paid item strikes, we have never really believed it made a difference to eBay. A buyer is a buyer, even when they don't pay. Makes no sense.

Obviously some serious glitches in the matrix yet, but it wouldn't be eBay if things ran smoothly.

Thank you @ittybitnot for all your great information! 

Kiks

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

put multi items in cart, but purchase separately

@kickin.assets 

Buyers that use a mobile app, have no means to "request a total", and that is not an option for them. I think they have been asking for one for about three or more years now.   For computer users that could request a total, the result more often than not returned an error message anyway, not to mention eBay's constant reminders to PAY NOW (or else) that commence as soon as an offer was accepted or an auction was won. 

I assumed you did not want to combine shipping, send invoices or encourage multiple sales since you retain the Buyer Requirements that did away with that for buyers anyway.   I think eBay found out that buyers are not as stupid as they thought and did not plan on losing so many buyers that DO PAY as a result of what is commonly termed the "auto pay" program.   I suppose that is why they are rolling out these "enhancements", even though the damage has been done by providing such a miserable buying experience and telling buyers how it is a new improved enhancement for their benefit.   Even if the buyer fell for it the first time, they likely won't play it again.  It won't be long until buyers figure out they can make offers and NOT PAY so long as the seller requires they put up a payment source first.   

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

ebay SOP, roll something out and then try to 'fix' it but make it even worse.

Do they not have a round table on this new stuff where employees are encouraged to go "but what if"? Or maybe they need some actual sellers to be there. But then they usually also ignore anything a seller may bring up as well.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Or maybe they need some actual sellers to be there.

@toomuchstuffagain35 

Actually, there were discussions regarding this, the first and most active with staff/sellers was in a seller update a few years back.  When I have time, I may look to see if I can find the original one.   It was discussed more passively in more recent updates as well. 

As you say though, in the long run it didn't matter much, for eBay does what eBay wants.  That is why I was so surprised that they actually forced buyers as they did under the guise of  it being new, improved, smoother, beneficial, etc.  and seemingly leaving out the unsavory consequences of what was going to happen as a result of putting up that payment source in order to proceed.   Why was eBay always touting the importance of providing a good buyer experience and be willing to disregard their own proclamations?   It was like "WE NO LONGER CARE WHAT BUYERS THINK, THEY CONFORM OR LEAVE"    I guess they didn't plan on buyers not falling for the perceived and direct  manipulation, and many simply did leave.  I see that form to select a payment source for auto-billing.....nope, the back button still works. At the same time I see sellers suffering low or no sales as a result of this best plan eBay ever had to turn off buyers. 

I was given an alternative rationale by another poster that I still think about almost every day.  Though through shared information we are more familiar with the new "enhancements" to the auto-pay program that are really presently unannounced intended changes that appear to be glitches, eBay has not given up wanting that "provide a payment source upfront".  eBay seems to hold quite firmly on that aspect even though it still discourages sales, and  for sellers the benefits are now diminished. Many sellers figured out why they no longer got offers or bids and turning that default to yes to NO.   The strangest enhancement is  no more auto-pay for buyer offers (payment is not necessary at all now if your offer is accepted, no more unpaid item strikes, LOL) and still no way to invoice for combined shipping so long as the seller keeps those defaults set to YES.  

It was suggested that  perhaps this was NOT wholly a response to seller complaints of non-payers at all.   Nor was it a punishment that all buyers had to put up with due to the bad behavior of a few.    If you keep your board preferences here set to view the most recent first, you can read a most insightful reply made to me if you scroll down in post #39 here.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Testing-Changes-To-Payment-Process-For-Offers-amp-Auction...

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

No more non-payment issues is a very good thing.

@kickin.assets 

Your buyer paid, but not because they were forced.  You buyer paid because they were a PAYING BUYER in he first place.  With your preferences, you are lucky you got an offer at all, AND with the new enhancement of NOT auto-billing buyers who make offers that you accept added to your account, buyers are not required to pay anymore at  for offers you accept if they don't feel like it.  It is just a different kind of non-payment issue.  Leaving your listing live until somebody pays for it is likely just a bone your are thrown to make up for the fact you no longer get paid right away or ever.  There are no more consequences for the buyer if they don't pay.  Isn't eBay fun? 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Click submit.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

We do agree for the most part when it comes to this maybe being a non-payment issue in another form. This was just the first time we had experienced an item staying live after an accepted offer. Had an offer right after that that we accepted and buyer must have had a payment form available, as it was marked "waiting for payment" this time, then paid within a few minutes.

We get offers every day and find that most days they are decent, but there are those days that only low ballers are out there. Whether its pure luck or something else, we have only had 1 non-paying buyer on an offer in many many months and yes, that's with our preferences set as they are.

Ebay can be a challenge on good days, for both buyers & sellers, but we handle it the best we can, occasionally rant, and then move forward.

Aside from the glitches and the new things thrown at us sellers on a regular basis, we do enjoy eBay and will continue to be a part of this community for as long as they will have us.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

This has been happening to me and now the items are not getting paid for.  I never really had a problem before of people not paying and it looks like now I am.  It mostly happening on counter offers that I accept they all are going into sent offers and I don't believe the buyer is understanding what is going on.  The crazy thing is I check this morning in my buyer's management, these two items below are checked yes, so why is this even happening, before they make an offer their payment should be provided.  Does this not include counter offers?

Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply