cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offer Sent Weeks ago, buyer Purchased at Full Price Now Demanding Refund - New Seller Needs Help

Hello Everyone! I'm relatively new selling on Ebay, (sold around 30 items) but I understand how the offer system works.

I had a buyer place an order at full price, but attach a note on the order saying he would like the item for $50 off. I naturally assumed that he made a mistake, or was trying to make an offer but changed his mind and purchased for full price.

I wrapped the item, bought USPS postage through Ebay, but now he's messaging me demanding I refund him for the difference.  An offer was sent out, but it was almost a month ago and so of course has expired.

He's already submitted the payment for full price his funds are on hold inside my account. Postage has been bought.

How can I refund him, and get my money back for the postage. I know I can mark the order as canceled, but won't this be see on my rating system as bad feedback. Due to the fact that I marked the order as canceled after it had been purchased?

Not sure what to do here. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Offer Sent Weeks ago, buyer Purchased at Full Price Now Demanding Refund - New Seller Needs Help

If you have not mailed the item yet you can cancel the shipping you purchased through eBay.

Go here and void the Shipping Label.  https://www.ebay.com/ship/labels/seller-hub

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

If you want to refund this buyer that's up to you.

After a month has passed since you sent that offer

you are under no obligation to do so.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

First, I assume you never agreed to the discount. So you are off the hook on that point.

Next, I would add him to my blocked buyer list

Then I would click on "report buyer" and report that he is making demands outside of the terms of the sale (that also serves to protect against a ding for cancelling)

Then, instead of "cancel order" ()I'll explain in a minute) click om Refund and issue the refund there.

WHY? In "cancel order" you only have 3 choices - buyer requested, problem with address, out of stock. None of those apply here.

BUT if you use the refund it also effectively cancels the order BUT you have a myriad of reasons to choose from. In this case the reason for the cancellation would be that he is making demands outside of the terms of the order. This way you DO NOT get a defect or have to lie about the reason as you would in "cancel order"

Finally, send him a note explaining that you thought the $50 discount was a request which you are unable to comply with. And tell him you are cancelling the sale and a full refund is on the way.

Then IGNORE him from that point forward. Nobody tells me (or you) what my price MUST be.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

reply self deleted

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

A refund will come out of any "available funds" from past purchases. Otherwise, you have to wait until the buyer's funds get into your banking...and then refund them.

I think if you don't use postage you are not charged?...someone might be able to confirm that or not here.

We as sellers will had a bad buyer every now and then. Can you maybe do a partial refund? Is it worth to get a demerit or sad feedback because of this sale? Since you are a new seller you may not want to take a hit for this. I would block the buyer for future sales after this settles down of course.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

I think if you don't use postage you are not charged?...someone might be able to confirm that or not here.

USPS labels are charged the instant you click on "print", if the label is not used you have 5(?) days to void the label. Once voided it takes 1 - 2 weeks to be refunded.

FYI - UPS and FedEx labels are not charged until they are scanned and confirmed (weight,  dimension,  destination).

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Ebay started deducting UPS shipping when I print label for a couple weeks now, may not for all

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

If you haven't actually shipped the item yet follow the advice given by richard1rst. If you have shipped the item please respond that it has been shipped since that changes the available options. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I had a buyer place an order at full price, but attach a note on the order saying he would like the item for $50 off. I naturally assumed that he made a mistake, or was trying to make an offer but changed his mind and purchased for full price.

Never assume anything, especially when your assumption ignores the most probably option - your buyer did actually expect a discount.

IMHO if you were not prepared to grant his request you should have asked the buyer whether he still wanted it at full price or whether he wanted to cancel (and given his a deadline and explained that you would cancel if he did not respond). 

Your buyer was wrong to try to make an offer through a note, but on eBay buyers can screw you over so sellers should never make assumptions like you did. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I know I can mark the order as canceled, but won't this be see on my rating system as bad feedback.

NO.

You would cancel "At buyer request".

Do NOT cancel if you have already shipped.

You might be able to recall the package.

If not, let him know that you understand he does not want to complete the transaction, and that when the item arrives, he should return it for a full refund.

He's a grownup,theoretically, and should be able to work out how to do this.

Do not refund unless you actually are holding the purchase, whether that is before shipping or after it has been returned.

I will let others explain about your responsibilities with Buyer Remorse returns.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@jematt3945 

If you cancel before the funds become "available" the refund may be debited from your payment source (your attached checking) and can create an "overdraft charge" from your financial institution unless keep a balance or have overdraft protection. 

My checking for eBay is a dedicated account. Balance there is limited, but I try to keep some to avoid an overdrafts in the event of a refund being made when there are no $$$ in eBay.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

"A refund will come out of any "available funds" from past purchases. Otherwise, you have to wait until the buyer's funds get into your banking...and then refund them."

It doesnt work that way. If the op's funds are still pending, and not available, Ebay will immediately refund his buyer through his payment option..usually a sellers bank account.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

"I had a buyer place an order at full price, but attach a note on the order saying he would like the item for $50 off. I naturally assumed that he made a mistake, or was trying to make an offer but changed his mind and purchased for full price."

Sounds like you naturally decided to act in your own best interest even if was at the expense of a confused buyer.  It's possible the buyer's actions were scummy but most certainly you're actions were scummy and now you are paying the price for not providing adequate customer service to your customer.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply