cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Site Ads to be tested on eBay

eBay the ever greedy site hinted that they will try what Etsy has done to charge you more in fees if someone clicks on an item (however many times) from another site like google or pinterest and charges a fee just for someone LOOKING (clicking) at  your item and not even buying.  I am so out of here!

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/5/1619984161.html

I've reached that age where my brain goes from "you probably shouldn't say that." To "what the heck, let's see what happens. "
Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Off Site Ads to be tested on eBay

chapeau,

I sell mostly long tail stuff, a lot of it will show up on the first page of search results because there usually aren't a lot of them listed (assuming a narrow enough search term). So I'm not sure PL does me much good there. But from what I can tell, many of my PL sales aren't the result of better placement on the search results page, I think they are the result of placement on one of the non-search pages, and the buyer makes an impulse buy. My impression is that ebay is getting better at matching the item with the buyer, and I'm getting sales because of it. So, I'm with you, I think PLs are a useful tool for me....

Message 76 of 78
latest reply

What's also nice is it's all voluntary. 

Etsy not only has made OSAs mandatory for sellers who sell over $10k/year (and I think they moved to including shipping in that but that needs to be fact checked - I quit selling there a bit ago so I never visit the site anymore), but it's like the Roach Motel - once you're locked into it, you can't get out, and as one poster said upthread - the criteria is very suspect. 

Before this bogus system, they had PPC which was basically useless - I quit after about six months.  I had tried the new system and it was even worse.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 77 of 78
latest reply

from ebay's perspective, PLs provide two things: additional revenue from the PL fees, but also....and quite importantly....increased sales velocity across the platform.

Exactly.

And... cheap!

Message 78 of 78
latest reply