cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that sellers cannot be paid through PayPal, how do we handle refunds and similar issues?

Back when eBay allowed sellers to receive payments via PayPal, if there was a problem with an item that required a refund or discount after the fact, we could do that in two minutes by transferring funds from the seller's PayPal account to the buyer's.  But now that we're not getting paid into our PayPal accounts, how does this work now.   

I haven't sold anything for quite some time so I don't know how we deal with this.   I have an active listing now which will definitely sell tomorrow.  I'm not too concerned about that one, but I am concerned about a listing that's launching tomorrow.  I'm only allowing local pickup or delivery (by me) because it's the kind of item that costs far more than its own worth to ship through conventional means.   In the past, in situations like this, the buyer would have paid me before I delivered the item, and if the item proved to be unacceptable, I could do a PayPal to PayPal refund on the spot.  

What do we do now?   

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Now that sellers cannot be paid through PayPal, how do we handle refunds and similar issues?

Everything is done through Ebay. Refunds are no problem. If the buyer pays through Ebay, you refund through Ebay. The refund is on the drop down under the item sold. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

One caveat.

Because with Managed Payments, eBay defaults to a Tuesday transfer of all your payments to your checking account, it is best not to refund on a Wednesday or more precisely, to make sure that there is enough either in your MP account or your checking account to cover the refund.

This is why many sellers have a dedicated account for online selling, often with a low fee/no fee online bank.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@pithecanthropus4152 

If there is a refund, eBay will first take the money from existing funds in your available Managed Payments balance.

If there are not sufficient funds in Managed Payments, eBay will then take the refund from the bank source registered with your eBay account.

So it is important that you maintain a bank balance sufficiently high to protect yourself from bank overdraft fees.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply