cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now 30-day Free returns?? Choosing a store subscription or not.... What shall one do??

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been selling (and buying) on eBay for two years now. I have a separate website to sell my items and sell on eBay as well. I have proudly retained my "Top-Rated Seller" status for over a year now. So in order for me to keep my selling status as it is, I must consider a 30-day FREE return policy. I have already changed my handling time to a "one-day, next business day shipping" sometime ago. I am currently being hit with the 10% Final Value Fee, a PayPal surcharge fee and the shipping charges I must pay if I offer free shipping on every sale I make.

I have considered opening an eBay Store, but I'm not sure if switching from a current non-subscription status to a store subscription status would improve my profit margin. Paying the "Store" monthly subscription fee ($27.95 with a $250 Final Value Fee Cap) vs. about a $300 per month on all my non-store eBay fees. Doing the math, it's about the same. So what are the benefits?

In reading some of the other comments here in the discussion group, it seems the consistence of those making comments and posting their concerns, everyone has the same thoughts about how eBay is getting rich off of us peasants.

Is it time for new options and considerations to selling online?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Now 30-day Free returns?? Choosing a store subscription or not.... What shall one do??

The $250 cap is per item.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: Now 30-day Free returns?? Choosing a store subscription or not.... What shall one do??

The free listings you get with a store alone make it a no brainer.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

benefits

The 10% fvf becomes 9.15% with a store. less in some categories I believe

$25 quarterly shipping supplies coupon. 

250 BIN and 250 auction listings. 

option for vacation mode

As far as 30 day free returns i went ahead and did it back in march. I get next to none and don't sell in high return categories so I figured I would give it a shot. So far none. The way I see it I probably have moved up in search, may pay return shipping anyway and now have an option of not refunding the whole amount under certain circumstances if I get one. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

You don't get any free listings with a store, (other than the 50 everyone gets) you are pre paying for them. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@AnonymousYou currently have only 31 listings, so unless you're going to beef up your inventory significantly, a store doesn't make sense for you. I think another poster found the error in your math by pointing out that the $250 cap is per item.

@points13, I'd been considering your logic regarding free returns. I reckon you just pushed me in that direction. It's never been an issue for me either, and I can always change back if it becomes a problem. Wish me luck!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The free returns are ONLY for sellers who want to be TRS Plus.  You can still be a store owner.

So when the free returns went into effect I changed every listing in my stores to 2 day handling and 14 day returns (required now ). I no longer have to bust butt to go and stand in line at PO everyday. A TRS NO longer gets the seller discount on fees so why keep jumping through the ever increasing hoops.

I feel Ebay will eventually require all free returns and are just weaning sellers into this. Ebay is trying to compete with Amazon (A JOKE) claiming they have free returns for everything which is not totally true.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Free Bay.  If you have enough items to load a store & pay the monthly fee on top of all the other fee's, sure why not. I personally like using the free monthly listings. It makes me feel like eBay is working for me, instead of me working for them.  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Even though you are not listing lots  your dollar sales in recent months with the reduced store fvf  would probably cover the price of a store. But as you figured it is pretty much a wash. Might really just depend on how much you plan on listing in the future.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your input. Much of my thoughts too!
Message 11 of 11
latest reply