cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing sells anymore

First time ever my store fees are more than my monthly sales.

i 'm a top rated seller with approx 500 items listed over 2 IDs, and 1.02% defect rate.  BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO BE SELLING FOR WEEKS NOW

This place has turned into a freaking ghost town.

I wil be cancleing my store subscription unless i can see a turnaround this month. It no longer make sense to spend any time around here.

Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

Re: Nothing sells anymore

i'm on the same sinking ship that your on. You should post with with your selling ID so people can see for themselves the sudden drop off in sales that so many of us have recently experienced. 

Message 31 of 98
latest reply

@bernardgoodsoniii wrote:
How can what you say be true? You have ZERO (0) feedback...

Groan...

Message 32 of 98
latest reply

Assuming you sell records, you may want to look up the thread "More Search Engine Weirdness". A small change was made to a certain entry in Item Specifics and it's causing literally millions of listings to be hidden to anyone who refines a search using the corresponding filter.

@45s-lps wrote:

Aandmb,  I cancelled my store and the views and sales get even worse.  They have a way of completely cutting you off from being seen.  This place is DESPICABLE.   Lies and cheats.  The only thing worse is probably our government administration.  

SO LET IT BE WRITTEN

Message 33 of 98
latest reply

Been here since 1998, and saw this ship taking on water a couple years ago when the fees went up, the page views started going down, and the powers that be started bumping perfectly good sellers off....with little or no chance of recourse. People that had been loyal sellers for years. For me it was simply a matter of survival that I include alternative venues. It was a good move, and page views there are now multiples of what they are here on the same items, the fees are 1/3, and the sales are profitable. Even better, the CUSTOMERS there are pleasant, and repetitive...the way they used to be here. There are a few niches that still do sell quite well here, but they are in the minority.

I don't even shop here much any more, because......<drum roll>......I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING. The bargains are elsewhere. Not only does the "CantSeeMe" search suck, but they finished nailing the coffin shut last year when they had their little "dispute" with Google. Guess what? At Aunt Betsy's now, Google is now involved to the point you can sign in with your google ID (and they are prominantly displayed on the sign in page). With a possible IPO in the making, I suspect there are all kinds of things going on in the background, and that trenches are being dug. This might not bode well at all for ol' Ebay.

If they can't see your product, they cant buy it. Rocket Science!

All Aboard! The Ebay Train is Leaving the Station!

Train Wreck.jpg

Message 34 of 98
latest reply

I glanced at some of the big boxes on eBay. They're not doing so well either.

Microsoft is averaging about two sales per week.

A couple of years ago, Levis uploaded 7,000 listings, made hardly any sales. Took them all down. A while later listed them all again, some sales but nothing to brag about, took them all down and the account has been dormant ever since.

ToysRus gets about 70 orders a day but most of them are under $20 so that's not much money considering the infrastracture (stores, staff, advertising) they have to support.

Overstock is selling about 130 items a day (one would hope so with three-quarters of a million listings). I notice a very high proportion of their items are from China and many of the exact same things can be purchased on eBay cheaper. A bracelet that sold for $13 can be purchased from other eBay sellers for $3 or $4.

Adorama is getting a couple of dozen sales per day which isn't too bad because some of it is higher-end camera gear.

Buy (buy.com, which is now owned by Rakuten) is selling about 160 items per day but a high proportion are under $12, so it's not gravy.

Obviously this isn't the only place they sell, but I thought it was interesting to see how their sales are doing.

Message 35 of 98
latest reply

You can't go through the sold items to get the totals because you miss all the ones that come from multiple item listings. An example would be the 70 items for ToysRus. When I go to the sold page it comes out to 61 items per day. But, when I go by FB, I get 272 per day and that doesn't include all the FB that wasn't left. Try it that way and see how the others total up. I'm pretty sure you should get a different total for some of them.

Message 36 of 98
latest reply

Here is my perspective.

Yes sales have been significantly decreasing since at least august of last year, but it really depens on the market saturation I think.

For me I have only had maybe 14-20 things listed and in the past 7 days I have sold 4 items.

It may be a matter of competetive pricing, or random cycled viewing, or who knows what, but sales shouldnt be non existant at all.

The views and favorites arent there, but stuff still sells consistantly.

Message 37 of 98
latest reply

Sadly,we're all in the same leaky boat. Sales pretty much stopped for me in Nov.
I've had about 10-12 since then.
I'm selling vintage, collectibles and a few new items I bought and never used.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 38 of 98
latest reply

on_isle9
Trailblazer

@aandnb wrote:

First time ever my store fees are more than my monthly sales.

i 'm a top rated seller with approx 500 items listed over 2 IDs, and 1.02% defect rate.  BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO BE SELLING FOR WEEKS NOW

This place has turned into a freaking ghost town.

I wil be cancleing my store subscription unless i can see a turnaround this month. It no longer make sense to spend any time around here.

It's not you at all or prices or conduct, nor changing times. I think this place is scarring away both buyers and sellers alike.

Seriously, would you want to see a sign at a dentistis or car repair place the "protected" the customer ?

LoL it's more like a nightmare.

And I don't give a rip if it's big box sellers or otherwise. ebay has a stench.

Less items for everyone to see..
Message 39 of 98
latest reply

Look at this as a good omen and stop paying for an eBay store and start listing on the many other free/cheaper options out there.

I have and though I have less sales, my margins are 10 times what I got here, hence I have 10 times less work and make 10 times the profit compared to selling here. I take that extra time working on other ways to bring in money.

In short this venue is done, unless you're buying cheap here to sell somewhere else 😉 Who knew this place would be less usefull than Craigslist?! At least I get lowball offers on CL, I get absolutely nothing on here and so have pretty much stopped listing.
Message 40 of 98
latest reply

You're right, timemachine, I forgot to go through the multiple-quantity items. It can make a significant difference.

I'll glance through them as well the next time I get curious.

Even so, the numbers are lower than what I was seeing for the same stores last fall.

Message 41 of 98
latest reply

I have no clue what kind of numbers the big box sellers have done in the past, however, I could see where everyone has been hit with a decline in some sales due to a myriad of issues including site issues. Sales may pick up for them now that eBay isn't putting related item sponsored ad links on the listing pages anymore. I made a huge issue about the fact that the ads were hi-jacking buyers away from the site, and I wrote to eBay about it several times in the past 3 months. 

Message 42 of 98
latest reply

My last invoice did it for me, I am gone.  I will not waste my efforts any further.  I have made no money on E-Bay for the year and will get a real job this year.  I will not be a victim of their's any longer.  There is NO MONEY to be made on E-Bay if you even try you will be the next victim that they rob.  If you are a Obama Fan please continue, you deserve what you get. I wish I never posted the first thing this last year but that was my bad.  Don't fall for the free listings, they will take you under. E-Bay is a scam and a total waste.

Message 43 of 98
latest reply

That's me screw it and go get a real job.  I don't need to be robbed by a scam.  E-Bay is a joke.  And they are out to rob anybody trying to make a buck, same as our President, don't fall for it.  Go support yourself with a real job.

Message 44 of 98
latest reply

Yea E-Bay is open, they are screwing their Sellers good, just Thank God if you have not become their lastest  victim.  They have done me in for their last time.  They are setting a trap with their free listings.  The buyers are enjoying the free merchandise, they have learned how to play E-Bay and to get what they want for free. If you fall for a free listing, look forward to the next invoice.  May God pay them back.  I was a victim because I fell for it, I won't forget what it cost me.

Message 45 of 98
latest reply