cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not my jersey

I've got a buyer trying to return a size mens size small jersey.  He bought an XL.  I've never bought or sold a mens small jersey.  I don't carry them.  This is a buyer trying to get me to pay for his mistake.  How do I handle this?  I took pics of the jersey I did sell him.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Not my jersey

Call ebay and see if they will research his latest purchases.........since we can't anymore...........

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

Explain to him that you do not carry that size jersey and ask if he may have confused you with another seller he recently purchased from.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

@tahoe-sports wrote:

I've never bought or sold a mens small jersey.  I don't carry them.

The way I see this playing out, you will soon be listing one used jersey, size: men's small.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

Emerald

I did that and asked him to send me pics of the tags and bag.
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

Called ebay. I think he doesn't have many feedback scores. They told me to try and work with him, ask him for pics of the tags.
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

Ill tell you what to do but it just might not be worth the effort.

Are you on a phone or laptop? Because a laptop makes this much easier if you can get to the classic site.

If you are on a phone you can click the three dots at the top right of the page, but that wont get you what you need. Because it reverts if you click any other page, so.........

You have to go into the boards, click on anyone's user id, click on any item, then click the three vertical dots upper right. Now you're in. And you'll stay in.

Okay now click on the buyers user id. If sellers have left feedback, look for one that sells similiar shirts in a size small. Make a note of that/those sellers. Now go into Feedback Left For Others. If the item purchased doesn't show in Feedback left for others, now you have some work to do.

Now you're just getting started. Do you really want to pursue this?

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

@tahoe-sports wrote:
Called ebay. I think he doesn't have many feedback scores. They told me to try and work with him, ask him for pics of the tags.

An ebay CSR told you to "ask for pics of the tags"?

That's funny, seeing as how ebay doesn't consider any "proof" (such as pictures or video evidence) when determining the outcome of a case, or attempting to appeal.

Hopefully as others suggested he just has you mixed up with someone else he bought from (best case scenario).

Worst case scenario, he's attempting a bait and switch and if he executes it properly (he's not required to provide ANY proof of ANY kind, pictures of otherwise, or to even communicate with you) will successfully get away with returning an item you did not send him. Smiley Sad

Has he opened a return case yet? Whatever you do, make sure you don't let ebay "step in" or it will earn you a defect which is a nice "insult to injury" on top of being scammed.

I'd do my best (politely, professionally and respectfully) to try to get him to reply and provide as much information as possible because it may be helpful for you to win a case later on if he does return the wrong item.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

He bumped it up immediately to ebay and they closed the case in his favor.

I jumped on the phone to CS.  Asked them my to look at my entire history how I've never bought or sold a small sized jersey, and a small petite sized womens jersey at that.  They said closing the case was a technical glitch.  I had pics of the jersey and the tags.  I could show who I bought the jersey from, the size purchased, the date purchased, the day it shipped, the day it was received, the date it was listed.  What more can a seller do to fight off the scammers?

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

Check dashboard to see if you got a defect for seller not responding or failure to resolve.  IF so, I would appeal the decision....especially if it was a "tech" error..........

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

I'm feeling annoyed and lucky at the same time. He/she could have gone after a $300 jersey and said I shipped him a $30 one. After this near miss, I just want to know how to protect myself. Sooner or later I'll run into another scammer trying the same thing. So do you just not list anything you wouldn't want someone to steal?
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

@tahoe-sports wrote:
I'm feeling annoyed and lucky at the same time. He/she could have gone after a $300 jersey and said I shipped him a $30 one. After this near miss, I just want to know how to protect myself. Sooner or later I'll run into another scammer trying the same thing. So do you just not list anything you wouldn't want someone to steal?

As you saw by this tranaction you are at the mercy of a scammer - one who could very well purchase a $300 item from you, file SNAD and send you back a $30 shirt or even an old rage.

Your last statement - yes we have a mantra here that bears repeating

Do not list anything you cannot afford to lose.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

Thanks for the advise.

Too risky for me.  I'll be winding down my listings and moving my more expensive items to other sites where I'm better protected.  

Thanks to the Community for the help.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

Those are not jerseys, btw.

They are hockey sweaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyDsF-Gp3o&t=36s

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Not my jersey

And the crooked buyer goes behind ebay to paypal to get shipping refunded on a jersey I didn't sell him. Unbelievable.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply