cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not all buyers are trying to scam sellers, some have a legit issue

Contrary to what many sellers post here, regarding buyers looking to scam, there are cases where the buyer is correct. 

So I sold a cup and saucer not too long ago, and the buyer emailed the same day it was received, to say the saucer had a chip on it, and he would like either a replacement or to return it. I wasn't available in the afternoon to see or reply to his message, and early in the evening he requested a return.

I had sold a number of these cups and saucers and the one the buyer purchased, was the last one available. I didn't see a chip on the saucer when I sent it.

Regardless if the saucer had a chip or not, I went in and refunded the buyers full amount of his purchase (item and shipping). In the message I wrote something to the effect, "I'm sorry you were unhappy with your purchase, you may keep the good cup, no need to return it".

I did block the buyer, as we all tend to do on a return, sometimes we jump to conclusions prematurely in doing so, as I did in this case.

Today, I get a box in the mail, and it is the cup and the saucer. The buyer paid to mail it back to me, even after I told him that he could keep it. The postage for him to mail it back was over $11. 

When I opened it up and looked at the saucer, it did indeed have a small nick on the bottom rim of the base.

So this buyer was honest, I did miss the nick and he did have a legitimate issue.

I've gone in and unblocked him and also left him positive feedback with the following comment, "Great buyer. I'm sorry there was an issue with your purchase. I will try to do better next time. Thank you again for shopping with me".

So long story short, when sellers come here complaining, "I have a buyer looking to scam me", those posts need to be taken with a grain of salt, because we sellers do sometimes make mistakes, and sometimes the buyers are correct. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I could not agree more. We see a consistent barrage of defensive seller posts accusing buyers of wrong doing and the majority of those sellers are as clueless as the day is long concerning eBay policies and the MBG for buyers. 

Does not matter if it is $2, $10 or $100, they can't let go nor admit to the possibility of the buyer having a legit claim. The blame has to fall somewhere other than in the lap that truly owns it.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@gb58 

Thanks for this positive post.  Honestly I think the majority of buyers are honest people.  Sadly it's the minority of scammers who outshine and discredit those honest buyers.  

Happy Selling

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Nice story.

I had a buyer insisted on sending me my refund back cause item showed up in his mail.

It wasn't much so I said never mind.

Gave him my name and email separately and got a Pay Pal refund. It was for 2 bucks.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The 'truthful' are obvious.

People don't scam over a $20 used cup.

They scam over a $600 Video Game Card, Gold Bracelet, I-Phone, Laptop etc.

I make/sell aftermarket automotive items that have True and Tested, mocked up PERSONALLY by myself with either my own cars or 'borrowed' car- along with selling 100, 400, 1000 of XYZ item so when a buyer tells me it 'doesn't fit'.... THAT tells me the car has been modified or a scammer just trying to get a 'refund' so they can have the item for free (thank you You Tube for all the fabulous videos on 'how to get things for free'). 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If all I know about eBay was from reading these forums, I probably would not buy OR sell here.

Fact is,  most people are honest, most transactions go off great and there are lot of great buyers and sellers on here.

But if something happens, people come to this forum for help, so there can be a negative cast to things.

Thanks for the great post!

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

I make/sell aftermarket automotive items that have True and Tested, mocked up PERSONALLY by myself with either my own cars or 'borrowed' car- along with selling 100, 400, 1000 of XYZ item so when a buyer tells me it 'doesn't fit'.... THAT tells me the car has been modified or a scammer just trying to get a 'refund' so they can have the item for free (thank you You Tube for all the fabulous videos on 'how to get things for free'). 

They did not have to send back the cup on their own dime.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Agreed 100%. In my line of business i rarely come across scammers, though it has happened. (One customer used a stolen credit card to purchase 15 rosary beads from me. Go figure.)

It's certainly eye opening to me to see things sometimes written on the boards.  I find most people are good buyers and also reasonable to work with. I'm thankful that has been my experience and I am far from perfect. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@chapeau-noir I'm not even sure what that statement has to do with anything I stated. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@chapeau-noir I'm not even sure what that statement has to do with anything I stated. 

Ignore it - it was just me hoping to keep a positive thread from yet again derailing into negativity.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 10
latest reply