cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-payer

I just had my first non-payer.  Shows her having 100% satisfaction, too.  When I went into her feedback, she has had 19 non-payments within the last month and I didn't go back any further.  How does this equate to 100% satisfaction.  I thought e-Bay was automatically filing complaint for the seller.  What happened to this feature???  Apparently leaving negative comment means nothing to the buyer.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Non-payer

A buyer cannot be given a negative. Any seller that leaves a negative as a positive is violating policy and it can be removed. If you have your buyer requirements set to refuse sale to any who have more than 2 non payments (you can choose a time limit like one year) that will eliminate those buyers. Assuming, of course, that sellers are reporting the buyer instead of trying to run a circle around the rules.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

Hi @lee10742 

The seller has to opt in to having eBay give buyers automatic nonpayment strikes.  Some sellers don’t want to wait 5 days to relist the item … preferring to violate policy by leaving fake positive feedback.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

Make sure your buy it now items are Immediate Payment Required. That takes care of BIN non payment.

The auction items, well, nothing you can do about those wonderful people that don't pay.

I propose eBay gives sellers a 1 week reprieve from the fee every time they get a non paying "buyer".

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

Wow, congratulations on your first non-payer, after all this time.

Here are some facts I don't believe I need to reiterate for an established seller.

Per eBay rules, buyers can only be given positive FB.  This is reinforced by the fact that even negative remarks will have a green doughnut.  Furthermore, if you are seeing a buyer for whom negatives have been given, that means that sellers (1) evidently did not mind risking getting a defect; (2) did not do the correct thing and cancel, citing buyer did not pay as the reason.  If/when the buyer reports this, those remarks will be wiped out and that seller will earn a "defect".  We're not sure how many of those it takes for a seller to be kicked out, but apparently not many.

Unless the seller has set his listings so that an unpaid item case is automatically opened after a certain time, then, no, eBay does not do this automatically.  That means the seller has to handle this himself.  

Even though you've been around awhile, you might want to do some refresher reading about a seller's options if/when a transaction goes wrong.  Reminder: If a buyer has not paid within four days, on day #5, that seller can cancel, citing buyer did not pay as the reason.  

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

When a buyer does not pay, the seller needs to open an unpaid item case.  Sellers can not leave negative feedback so all buyers have 100%.

Make sure your buyer requirements are set up to block bidders with 2 or more unpaid item cases.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

Leaving a negative comment for the buyer?

That may get you into trouble as it is against eBay Policy.

You need to add this User ID to your Blocked Bidder/Buyer list.

(page bottom: Site Map: SELL: Blocked Bidder List: Save)

Cease all communications with this "buyer," don't mail the item to them w/o payment.

The automatic feature you speak of is currently available, but you can also file yourself.

Buy It Now w/ Immediate Payment is my recommendation.

Never any trouble on my end with this type of listing.

Loose Cannon
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

Which does absolutely nothing.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

Actually, as described in my message, there is SOMETHING sellers can and should do about bidders who do not pay.  

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

Are you saying that cancelling, using buyer did not pay as the reason "does absolutely nothing"?

Why not?  

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

eBay's current way to handle non-paying bidders is to cancel, citing "buyer didn't pay" as the reason.  

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

@soh.maryl wrote:

We're not sure how many of those it takes for a seller to be kicked out, but apparently not many.

Less than it takes for a non-paying buyer to get kicked out, ironically.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

"Text me on (909) 587-1709 or email me kennethwhilden9 @gmail.com i need more inquiry for this item kindly reach out to the mail above before shipping for a quick response"

I have 2 items sold but 2 non-paying people.  I haven't sold for a long time but we're 2 for 2 out of 4 or 5 items I have listed so far and the second of which appears to be a phishing scam.  The address is funny in that it is listed as a Walgreen's.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

@jame234 wrote:

When a buyer does not pay, the seller needs to open an unpaid item case. 

There is no such thing as an unpaid item case any more. Nowadays you just go to the sale and cancel it after 96 hours, using "Buyer did not pay" as the reason. You can also set it up to do this automatically.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Non-payer

The same thing happened to me when I began selling earlier this year.  Probably until I had around 50 feedback, I was getting scammed on at least half of my sales.  Hasn't happened in quite a while now, though.  I actually waited until I had >100 FB before I listed and sold some of the higher-dollar items, because the scammers are pretty hard on new sellers with few FB.  Give it a while and it will vastly improve.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply