cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-local buyer buying local pick up item

Any one else having a problem with non-local buyers buying a large / bulky electronic item listed as local pick up only? This is not the first time this has happened either. Buyer located about 1000 mi away in another state. Has one eBay user name  for the purchase.  eBay's ship to name not a name but a forwarding number. PayPal transaction user name is a different name from the 1st name. Actual person (still a different name) runs a SE Asia import export business at the ship to street address. Naturally cancelled "due to problem with the buyer's address and added eBay user id to my "Best Buddies List".  Like I asked, is anyone else having same problems with buyers of large items, like speakers ?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

There is no reason to cancel.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@acrc3113 wrote:

Any one else having a problem with non-local buyers buying a large / bulky electronic item listed as local pick up only? This is not the first time this has happened either. Buyer located about 1000 mi away in another state. Has one eBay user name  for the purchase.  eBay's ship to name not a name but a forwarding number. PayPal transaction user name is a different name from the 1st name. Actual person (still a different name) runs a SE Asia import export business at the ship to street address. Naturally cancelled "due to problem with the buyer's address and added eBay user id to my "Best Buddies List".  Like I asked, is anyone else having same problems with buyers of large items, like speakers ?

Just once  and very recently . I had a mobility scooter on auction  with'' local pick up only''  written twice in the listing . Someone with zero feedback won it  but they lived in another state . I received no response to any of the messages I sent , so cancelled the sale on the basis there was a problem with the buyers address . I don't know whats up with your buyers , seems rather strange.  Tulips 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

As you're selling a Local Pickup Only item, I'm not sure how it matters what the buyer's Ship To address is. 

It's his problem about how to pick it up. He may be sending a friend or relative over to collect it from you. If payment is not received in two days (or however long you are allowing for payment), just file the Unpaid Item dispute as usual. If you did not list any Shipping method of any kind, the buyer is expected to collect it, not file an Item Not Received dispute later.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Like I said : Item was listed as local pick up only. Buyer was newly registered, paid by paypal, and lives well over 1000 mi away. Shame you can't "name and shame" here. Has one name associated with his eBay user id. eBay's ship to name (not address) a 21 character forwarding number. Person listed at eBay's ship to address is a different name than the eBay buyer's name. Paypal name is still another name with a different email address. Let's say buyer sends someone to pick item up after paying by Paypal. What is to stop Paypal, eBay, cc from refunding the "buyer" when he claims INR? Nothing ! Been here a long time and I know how it works.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

If you know how it works, then why is an INR a concern? Local picks ups are excluded from both PayPal and eBay buyer protection. Credit card chargeback is always possible whether you ship or not. 

FWIW the buyer might think it’s free shipping. On the app and the mobile version, eBay is putting free shipping under local pickup. When you specify shipping it will show for example  $6.50 with USPS priority mail below it. For local pickup, it shows local pickup with free shipping below it. I do believe this causes buyers to think it’s free shipping—you might be surprised how many buyers have no idea what local pick up is. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@acrc3113 wrote:

Like I said : Item was listed as local pick up only. Buyer was newly registered, paid by paypal, and lives well over 1000 mi away. Shame you can't "name and shame" here. Has one name associated with his eBay user id. eBay's ship to name (not address) a 21 character forwarding number. Person listed at eBay's ship to address is a different name than the eBay buyer's name. Paypal name is still another name with a different email address.

Right, but none of that matters as your sale is a Local Pickup Only. Either the guy picks it up or he doesn't. If he wants it shipped, it's still up to him to have it picked up by his shipper. 

@acrc3113 wrote:

Let's say buyer sends someone to pick item up after paying by Paypal. What is to stop Paypal, eBay, cc from refunding the "buyer" when he claims INR?

The fact that the listing was a Local Pickup Only, with no shipping involved. He can't file an INR if Shipping was never offered or purchased in the first place.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Do you not like money?

Last week I sold a door for local pickup only. Buyers address in Florida 1000 miles away. Turns out he stays up north for the summer and was just 25 miles away. Did the transaction at a gas station halfway between us. Got the cash. Done deal.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

If you know how it works, then why is an INR a concern? Local picks ups are excluded from both PayPal and eBay buyer protection. Credit card chargeback is always possible whether you ship or not. 

FWIW the buyer might think it’s free shipping. On the app and the mobile version, eBay is putting free shipping under local pickup. When you specify shipping it will show for example  $6.50 with USPS priority mail below it. For local pickup, it shows local pickup with free shipping below it. I do believe this causes buyers to think it’s free shipping—you might be surprised how many buyers have no idea what local pick up is. 

That's so wrong the way ebay defines local pickup! It's not free shipping, it's not shipping at all.

I can see this may cause many problems. Ebay should say "local pickup ONLY" and nothing else.  Very simple it would seem.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

For local pickup, it shows local pickup with free shipping below it. 

Are you sure that's the wording? I'm looking at the OP's completed listing 332720862632 and it reads: "Pickup only: Free" in search results. The listing itself is even more clear about it being a Local Pickup Only, with no Shipping.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

For local pickup, it shows local pickup with free shipping below it. 

Are you sure that's the wording? I'm looking at the OP's completed listing 332720862632 and it reads: "Pickup only: Free" in search results. The listing itself is even more clear about it being a Local Pickup Only, with no Shipping.

@a_c_green Absolutely sure. This is from a current listing I just pulled up-

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@a_c_green  There are a number of pages, both with mobile apps and on eBay where they incorrectly display "Free Shipping" instead of "Local Pickup Only".   Several of us have posted multiple times about these issues and the blues have "passed it to the appropriate teams" but it gets even less attention than "refurbished disposable diapers" and "refurbished condoms".

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@missjen831  Well, at least that's an improvement, it shows both Free Shipping and Local Pickup, previously it just displayed "Free Shipping".   

Edit: are you sure that was local pickup only?  It also shows USPS as the carrier.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Ahhh, got it, it's showing that local pickup is free.  Very poor wording.  Should say "Local Pickup, Free" instead.  

brian@ebay  Can feedback be passed along, that screen will cause buyers to believe there is free shipping available on that item.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@missjen831  Well, at least that's an improvement, it shows both Free Shipping and Local Pickup, previously it just displayed "Free Shipping".   

Edit: are you sure that was local pickup only?  It also shows USPS as the carrier.

@dtexley3 The seller offers shipping and local pickup. eBay should not be displaying free shipping at all on that listing, the seller doesn’t offer free shipping.  This listing offers local pickup only—

Message 15 of 15
latest reply