cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No "Used" category on razors?

Recently, I tried listing a double-edge safety razor, but the selling form only had a "New" option.  Why?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The razor category in Health & Beauty is for "new" (unused), Collectibles is for "pre-owned/used".

The actual age of the item is irrelevant, if it was "new/new in box" but 50 years old it would go under H&B, if it's used but only 6 months old it goes in  Collectibles.

Going by the reaction to your thread it's pretty obvious why eBay doesn't want used shaving gear in the regular category.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

A used razor with someone else blood, hair and skin?

I can't imagine why that would't be allowed.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Maybe because a "used" razor has blood or other things on it and is not sanitary? 

Just a guess 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Why would you want to sell a "used" one?

Many categories prohibit certain "used" items.  Used toothbrushes for instance, would be a similar no - go......

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Vintage razors are allowed, and that is really no different.  There is a large market for razors, new and old, in the wet shaving community.  People buying a used razor for their own use would certainly sanitize it before using. 

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

If you're selling it with a used blade, I would think that ebay may frown on that item. Some used Personal hygiene items are not allowed.  You may want to check the items that are prohibited on ebay.  

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/prohibited-restricted-items?

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Vintage safety razors is a HUGE market, and was one of our regular sellers when we were selling here. Its not just a matter of folks that use them, its a serious collectible genre. Old Gillettes especially can be dated by year and quarter, and there are many varieties going back to the very early 1900s.  Some can be very ornate works of art in themselves. The Valet single edged ones are like a cyberpunk mechanism that a lot of folks like. Check out Badgerandblade.com, which is a great resource on this topic.

Trust me, if you are a yard/estate sale picker, and find old razors for a buck or two, you can flip them for big bucks depending on model and condition.

As far as sanitizing, open them up and soak in a 50/50 bath of ammonia and lemon juice. 24 hours later rinse and they are like new.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Understandable that some time period razors could have collectible value

I would understand just the handle but anything with a "used" razor is just unsanitary and how to tell a prospective buyer to soak the blood infested razor in lemon juice? 

Pass on that sale   

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

razors 3.JPGYou do understand that the blade itself is disposable, right? Nobody would ever sell a vintage razor with an actual used blade. The "used razor" itself is just a blade holder. There wouldnt ever be blood on it from typical usage.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@varebelrose 

Ummm yes every blade is disposable 

Is there supposed to be a separate category of "Blade is Disposable" ? 

Disposable or not even the handle is disgusting, this is an item that should be New and not used 

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Explore the collectibles categories.

The eeew comments are not relevant. There are far too many people that think a razor is a Bic disposable or some such thing. There is a huge market for vintage razors.   See the categories used in the sold items.

Radine

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Exactly, thank you.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

This is the problem with generic answers and to extrapolate farther out, to Ebays approach to catalog style listing. One size doesnt always fit all.  Ewwww answers are from those who perhaps arent familiar with the vintage/antique market for razors which is fair in that not everyone can be familiar with all areas.  However, it may be beneficial for some to investigate and learn before tossing out comments?  

Antique straight razors can go into the several hundreds of dollars apiece.  I once sold a safety razor for over $400.  It went to a collector in New Orleans.  I doubt he was planning to use it but who knows.  That's his business not mine.  This was once the beauty of Ebay.  It had something for everyone and alot fewer snarky judgements too.  We dont all want recent mass produced things.  I may personally think it's crazy to pay for a Starbucks coffee cup but I darn sure paid attention when the discussion arose here about sales of those cups.  I learned something and may someday use that knowledge to put a few dollars in my pocket, who knows?

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@zarchy wrote:

Recently, I tried listing a double-edge safety razor, but the selling form only had a "New" option.  Why?

What Category are you trying to list in?

Looks like these belong in  Collectibles and there is a Used condition option

slippinjimmy_0-1644180979559.png

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

These are health regulations as these are personal items.  You would have to eliminate the word used because razors come in contact with the body.  This is the reason you can't sell used cosmetics, underwear or socks. You would have to sell under a vintage collectibles category.  Much like antique shaving mugs.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply