cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Tax International Shipping?

1FF359AA-F3FC-4D1A-8ACC-99A9BF9F0FCC.jpeg

 I recently sold an antique figurine which will be going through international shipping. The buyer asked me to affix a sign to the package like the one above. Is this legit?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Where is the item going?  Looking at your completed listing for the peacock, the shipping section may state that duties and taxes are paid at checkout, or that they may be paid by the buyer to customs upon receipt, or in the case of my country (Canada), a choice is offered.

Your buyer may have had problems in the past with being charged taxes twice for an item sent by eBay International Shipping and they figure this may somehow prevent it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I would not use that note.

Fill out the correct paperwork for the item and be honest with the price and the item, description, age, etc.

I would think that a note like that would get a chuckle as the custom's officer is opening the item to assure that the item is legit.

And if I were the customs officer, a note like that would guarantee that I would open it to be sure.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

That looks dangerous to me.  First, is it true??  Second, would that make it more of a target for thieves?  Third, doesn't customs have a form for something like this?  If they do, you should use the proper form.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Guarantee a note like that will get the package opened by customs.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Not sure which country this is shipping to but you utilize the EIS program which means once the package reaches the EIS hub they will handle the customs form and may or may not repack the item and would probably remove the sign. 

I would simply explain to the buyer that you have no control over how EIS fills out the customs forms or what they will do with regards to the packing for the item. You may consider putting a label on the package that says handle with care item is over 100 years old but that may simply draw attention to the package. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I wouldn't do it. Just complete a customs form

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Some countries are notorious for having packages stolen by dishonest postal workers. For this reason, I would not put that sign on the box.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

LOL.  I am going to wear a shirt to the grocery store that says, "NO TAX - FOOD ITEMS". 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@indygirl83 

Is it the peacock? Even if you were to do as he asked (which I don't recommend), ou have that dated from 1900-1940 so saying "over 100 years old" may or may not even be accurate. 

Do countries even tax items that are only $139? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I really don’t see the harm.  If someone is going to steal something, they wouldn’t target a dusty antique.  Whether or not there is no duty for 100+ year old items is for the customs official to know.  

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I don't add any "notes" to packages, it ships with a label the way it is printed, no games.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I wouldn't do it. Just complete a customs form

Seller does not have to complete the customs form they are using EIS and once the item reaches the EIS hub they will handle the customs form. 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@wilsonharborsales wrote:

LOL.  I am going to wear a shirt to the grocery store that says, "NO TAX - FOOD ITEMS". 

@wilsonharborsales 

That is a state sales tax thing.  You should lobby your local politicians.

Some states do not have tax on food items.  We don't in the state I live in.  It is nice.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

I really don’t see the harm.  If someone is going to steal something, they wouldn’t target a dusty antique.  Whether or not there is no duty for 100+ year old items is for the customs official to know.  

Dusty antiques can be pretty valuable sometimes.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Where is the item going?  Looking at your completed listing for the peacock, the shipping section may state that duties and taxes are paid at checkout, or that they may be paid by the buyer to customs upon receipt, or in the case of my country (Canada), a choice is offered.

Your buyer may have had problems in the past with being charged taxes twice for an item sent by eBay International Shipping and they figure this may somehow prevent it.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply