cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Carrier Scan Ebay penalty-has this happened to you?

Up until a month ago I was a top rated power seller. Then I started getting marks against my account for "Carrier scan not uploaded". I spent over 2 hours getting passed around EBAY CS all over the world in an attempt to resolve this but no luck. Every one I talked to had some different interpretation of Ebay policy. I went to the post office and had them print out all the carrier scans for the problem transactions. I submitted as proof and they agreed this was sufficient proof but the marks are still against my account and according to one guy at EBAY these marks are "unremovable". Anyone have any experience with this?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

From what I have read, as long as you have a scan sometime during the transit process, even if it is just a delivery scan, as long as it is within the estimated delivery timeframe, you are good.  Pacakges are not always scanned upon receipt by the carrier, but they may get scanned somewhere in the process.

Stupid question, sorry, but you don't say if you do this.  I hope you are entering the tracking into the transaction as soon as you get it, because I would think that if you do that, there is no reason for you to have any problems like this!

You might want to page one of the blues to this thread for help.  Trinton, Heidi, or Tyler.  They can be great at helping in adverse situations.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

From what I have read, as long as you have a scan sometime during the transit process, even if it is just a delivery scan, as long as it is within the estimated delivery timeframe, you are good.  Pacakges are not always scanned upon receipt by the carrier, but they may get scanned somewhere in the process.

Stupid question, sorry, but you don't say if you do this.  I hope you are entering the tracking into the transaction as soon as you get it, because I would think that if you do that, there is no reason for you to have any problems like this!

You might want to page one of the blues to this thread for help.  Trinton, Heidi, or Tyler.  They can be great at helping in adverse situations.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Every seller experiences this problem, eBay knows its unfair, knows it will result in defects on your account, and you (the seller) end up paying more fees to list and sell. The system is rigged, they have designed it against sellers. Ebay knows the seller can't control a third party involved with the transaction (ups.usps.fedex) and they bank on it. They have no direct shipping agreements with usps guarenteeing any delivery date like AMAZON does. Thats why this entire new program "Guarenteed Delivery" is a huge Scam and Fraud.

My best advice is to establish a relationship with your postmaster and demand your items get scanned in.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

@daffodilseason wrote:

... according to one guy at EBAY these marks are "unremovable". 

Translation: We don't care about sellers. We don't have too ... we're eBay.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

@daffodilseason wrote:

Up until a month ago I was a top rated power seller. Then I started getting marks against my account for "Carrier scan not uploaded". I spent over 2 hours getting passed around EBAY CS all over the world in an attempt to resolve this but no luck. Every one I talked to had some different interpretation of Ebay policy. I went to the post office and had them print out all the carrier scans for the problem transactions. I submitted as proof and they agreed this was sufficient proof but the marks are still against my account and according to one guy at EBAY these marks are "unremovable". Anyone have any experience with this?

Yes.

I have noticed on the Seller Hub: Seller Level section, that eBay reports a larger-than-expected number for my "Late Shipment Rate"  - it usually has it in the high teens  That's not right.

Drilling down into the report,  at this link
https://www.sps.ebay.com/sd/reports/shipping?programs=US&evalType=ESTIMATED_FUTURE

eBay lists the items it thinks were "late."  In my case every one of them is listed in the left column "Tracking indicates late delivery"  and none of them are listed in the right column "Buyer says late delivery"

I know for that I post a tracking number within an hour of most orders and always within 24 hours.

Sometimes the carriers do not scan the items right away and we can't control that. 

When I looked at a sample shipment, the order was placed on Sunday night.  I posted the tracking Sunday night.  The carrier scanned it on Tuesday and it was delivered on Friday, the 5th business day.  The buyer did not mark it as late.  (Buyers who leave feedback usually remark "Fast shipping" and always have scored the items as  Shipping Time: 5 stars.  
This sample shipment was scored as "Tracking indicates late DELIVERY" (eBay doesn't use the word shipment in this report).  Tracking number was posted right away, scan was 2nd business day, actual delivery 5th business day.  (USPS First Class)

Other examples had scans on the 1st business day (tracking was posted same day, scanned the next day) and delivery was on the 6th business day and also were marked "Tracking indicates late DELIVERY" 

I do find it conusing.  

One tip that I find might be working:  If you are using a carrier that is one of the branded copanies that partners with USPS for final delivery and the tracking number you get is USPS-compatible,   eBay will automatically label that as a USPS tracking number when you post it.     USPS is the final carrier so it may not get a scan from USPS until a later date.  I am trying a new tactic:  post the tracking number and overried the automatit USPS label that eBay puts on and substitute the brand name carrier.   The scans seem to be happening sooner for me if the same tracking number is labled with the brand name, rather than USPS.  

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

@daffodilseason wrote:

Keep calling and submitting the proof of carrier scans.  Call M-F in the AM pacific time and be assertive that with the proof you have of ontime handling they need to remove the marks.  There are other threads about similar problems and eBay can and does correct the record.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Yes, this has happened to me as well... And why oh why do we get dinged for the USPS not doing their job? a few years ago I took a bag with 15 items to the PO and the clerk was busy, and just motioned to put the bag on the counter. So I did. Well, nothing got scanned, and for a week or so ebay showed me as having serious problems.  This did clear up eventually. EBAY really ought to give these "dings" a week or so to clear before whacking our top seller status.

Now I have to call ebay again because they told me to go ahead and send a 99¢ ist class envelope item without tracking, but to mark it shipped and email the buyer. Uh Huh... that didn't work. Ebay still dinged me for no tracking uploaded.

Frankly, I'm not sure if the top seller status is worth the stress anymore. It appears that extra discounts on shipping have gone away, and the only benefit appears to be a badge of honor, and 10% off FV fees (actually more like 1% of total sales) Used to be 20% off FVF in the beginning if memory serves.

(For full disclosure... I am not doing TRS program now. I meet every metric 100% except  but do not sell enough items). 

What do you give in exchange? One business-day turnaround required, minimum 30 day returns, (probably increasing to 45 days over the major selling season), stress over whether the PO will actually scan your items, stress over everything that a "buyer" might pull, like bogus negative feedback for no reason at all or filing  NAD returns that are complete non-sense. Even a 3 star DSR will hurt you. (and for some peopel 3 stars is an "average" rating, while ebay considers it a blatant negative strike).

I even had a very happy buyer accidentally hit negative on feedback which was an obvious error if one read the glowing comments and 5 stars... It took he77 to get ebay to reverse that despite the obvious error. I actually had to chase down the buyer and get a statement from them despite the obviousness of everything.

I know this has gone off topic a bit, but... the question remains: is TRS worth the stress? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting being a slacker. You can care about your business and give excellent customer service without the grief and worry of navigating the minefield of ways that ebay has set out for you to lose your TRS status. (consider your monthly discount and decide whether the stress is worth it)

This won't be popular with the overlords, but seller sanity is more important... There once were good incentives, a few carrots to go through this, but now? It's mostly just the stick. 

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

What works for me all the time is walking the packages into the USPS and leaving them on the counter at an unoccupied counter station. I never wait in line. The small town post offices I use have scanned 300+ this year without fail. 

The only two dings I received this year were because I did not upload tracking when I had two orders in the same package and failed to go back into Manage Awaiting Shipping and upload the tracking in the other order.

I rarely leave any packages in my mailbox unless I am shipping it the same day as ordered. I have 1-Day-Handling so that gives them 30 plus hours to scan the package at some point if I do put it in my mailbox for pickup.

I live in a rural area so we have USPS contractors that deliver/pickup the mail. There is also a Pack-N-Post type place 3 miles from here. I asked the lady at Pack-N-Post about the USPS contractors scanning reliability. She said that the regular contractor person that runs that route will scan every time upon pickup. She said that it is pot luck for initial scans upon pickup with the rest of the contractors that run our route at times. 

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Up until a month ago I was a top rated power seller. Then I started getting marks against my account for "Carrier scan not uploaded".

Were you printing your shipping labels from Ebay?  If not, were you entering your tracking number manually on Ebay?  The reason suggests Ebay was not getting the tracking numbers uploaded within YOUR stated handling time which is 3 days of the purchase.

There is a report you can generated from your Dashboard in each section of the various stat section to show you exactily which transactions are not getting the tracking numbers uploaded.

I spent over 2 hours getting passed around EBAY CS all over the world in an attempt to resolve this but no luck. Every one I talked to had some different interpretation of Ebay policy.

Contacting the CS department can be more than frustrating the majority of the time.  However I'm not sure what you or they feel is open to interpretation.  Either you are entering tracking numbers or your not.  Or the Ebay system has a glitch and is dropping the tracking numbers you enter.

I went to the post office and had them print out all the carrier scans for the problem transactions. I submitted as proof and they agreed this was sufficient proof but the marks are still against my account and according to one guy at EBAY these marks are "unremovable". Anyone have any experience with this?

That isn't true.  These marks can be removed under certain circumstances.  But I think we are missing some information from you.  

Are you using a different source for your shipping labels other than Ebay or PayPal?

If you are using a different source is that site uploading the tracking to Ebay, are you doing it manually or are you skipping that step?

Give us more details so that we can hopefully help you understand and fix the issue.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@cjbeez wrote:

Every seller experiences this problem, eBay knows its unfair, knows it will result in defects on your account, and you (the seller) end up paying more fees to list and sell. The system is rigged, they have designed it against sellers. Ebay knows the seller can't control a third party involved with the transaction (ups.usps.fedex) and they bank on it. They have no direct shipping agreements with usps guarenteeing any delivery date like AMAZON does. Thats why this entire new program "Guarenteed Delivery" is a huge Scam and Fraud.

My best advice is to establish a relationship with your postmaster and demand your items get scanned in.

Broad statements are rarely correct.  I've been selling a long time and I've rarely had the problem the OP describes.  The exact words the OP used was "Carrier scan not uploaded".  Now that could mean that the OP is not uploading their tracking numbers on time, Ebay has a glitch, the carrier is not updating their systems, etc.  It certainly can and does happen.  

But that doesn't mean the system is "rigged" or there is some conspiracy against sellers.  It means there is a problem that certainly requires research to find the source and fix it, whether that is Ebay, the seller or the carrier.  

You are correct, Ebay is fully aware that we as sellers have no control over what a carrier actually does.  We all know this to include the carriers.  

The Guaranteed Delivery program which Ebay is just starting to launch has NOTHING to do with the problem the OP is having.  The great thing about this program is that if you don't like it, you DON'T have to participate.  It is NOT a manditory thing, so you can choose not to opt into either of the two options if it doesn't work for you or you don't like it.  It is a complete non issue for those sellers that do not want to utilize it.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Ebay changed how they determine if a transaction has been delivered on time a couple years ago.  ALL sellers now have three ways in which this is determined.  Any ONE of the 3 options is enough for Ebay to determine that you have an on time delivery.

1.  Tracking number is uploaded to Ebay within your stated handling time and it is validated by the carrier.

OR

2. The delivery scan happens within the stated ETA on the purchase.  [So if you actually shipped a little late, but the item still arrived within the ETA window, you have an on time delivery].

OR

3.  At the time the buyer leaves FB, they have the option to check a box that says the item was delivered on time.  If they check that box, you have an on time delivery.

Ebay is well aware that sellers of items that ship regular FC mail will not have tracking numbers.  This has been an issue all along, every since the TRS program started as these sellers can rarely qualify because of it.  They are totally dependent on the #3 option above to prove their on time shipping.  Just the sheer number of buyers that never leave FB makes that not work well for these types of sellers.

The TRS program does NOT require 1 day shipping.  You can be TRS with a 3 day handling time and a 14 day return policy or some other combination of the two.  It is TRS Plus that you can only qualify for if you are:  1. Currently have TRS status as a seller,  2.  Handling time of 0-1 days and 3. a 30 day return policy.  TRS plus is by listing for TRS and allows the seller to receive a 10% discount on the FVF.

You can be TRS without being TRS Plus.

The requirements for being a TRS seller are actually good solid business policies to have.  You do not have to work yourself into a frenzy to be TRS.  Most of us do it without going crazy as the policies are ones we had in place for ourselves long before the TRS program came along.

Now TRS Plus is more difficult and requires extra work and attention to your selling account.  Some do it well, some don't.  TRS Plus is not right for everyone, but that does NOT mean they aren't good sellers.  It simply means that the requirements to have listings qualify for TRS Plus is just not right for them.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@mam98031 I have no issue with your comments, and appreciate your clarifications.

I do not keep up on the TRS specifics, because I am done with TRS  And yes you are correct... a good seller will meet these automatically. The problem is with things we sellers cannot control. 

As a seller for nearly 20 years, I have had many great transactions, but no matter how excellent your effort is there will be duds that ebay holds against the seller. (and which can disrupt your TRS status)  Why stress over what others may or may not do? Post Office, and buyers have too much power to ruin your status, no fault of the seller.  

10% of  FVF  (11%) is 1.1% of total sales... so, if you do $2000 in sales per month you are saving $20 in FVF.  (and if you do $200 a month it's only two bucks!)   My sole point: is it worth stressing over? When it was 20% of FVF and included a good shipping discount it made sense.  

A couple of years ago ebay notified us that we had to do 45 day returns, and that was the end of caring about the badge of honor for me. No sirree, I was not about to start taking holiday gift returns for arbitrary reasons (which ebay will force despite your stated policies). Too much non-sense.

That said, if it works for you, great! Go for it.   

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

@modern-artifact

I vaguely remember something about a 45 day return policy, but whatever it was, it was extremely short lived.  But what I can say is that I've been TRS since the beginning of the program and I've never had a 45 day return policy.

There was ONE holiday season that Ebay was encouraging sellers to have a 90 day return policy.  For those that chose not to participate in it, they would not qualify for TRS plus from November to January.  But they still remained TRS with all the benefits afforded to that status.  That season I did NOT participate and I retained my TRS.  I didn't suffer in sales or lose anything but the discount during the period.  Ebay originally was going to have this or a similar program every holiday season, but they have not done it since the one time years ago.

With that all said, those days are gone.  It isn't anything that is currently going on here, so I'm unsure as to why you are holding on to your concerns over a return policy timeframe that does NOT currently exist for TRS on Ebay.  Certainly things may change in the future, but they are NOT a consideration on the site at this time.

The TRS plus discount may not be right for many sellers now that it is reduced to half what it once was.  That is a decision for each seller to make for themselves.  There is no right or wrong answer to that.  But you originally stated you'd lose TRS as well and that does not have to be true.  You can retain TRS without doing the 0-1 day handling time and a 30 day return policy that is required for TRS plus, but NOT for TRS.

You stated "When it was 20% of FVF and included a good shipping discount it made sense."  TRS Plus has NOTHING to do with a shipping discount, absolutely NOTHING.  There is ONLY ONE thing TRS plus gives you and that is the discount on the FVF.  That is the ONLY perk, period.  TRS Plus can be some of your listings but does not have to be all.  

It is TRS that gives you the discount on some shipping methods and other perks.  You do NOT have to have 0-1 day handling and a 30 day return policy to be TRS.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@mam98031

I have a one day shipping policy by choice, and my buyers love the speedy shipping.

While your documentation is appreciated, I am not going to worry about anything but giving my buyers an excellent experience. TRS-TRS plus, I am not interested. It's not sufficiently incentivized.

I mean hey, great sellers make ebay tick. Without them the site would fold. Ebay ought to share the wealth with those who make it reliable and worthwhile for buyers. NOPE that isn't going to happen.  10% is chump change, 10% is the guaranteed break for anyone asking in the antique mall. 10% is not enticing. I mean how high do you jump when retailers offer 10% off on goods? not too high I imagine.

Well, this is the same thing, but with punishment if you don't jump. 

Having been on the site for nearly 20 years, I have weathered so many gyrations and growing pains of ebay that I now minimize the ways they can  make my day harder. The 45 day mandatory return was the last straw for me, it was cold-hearted evil.  I am no longer inclined to put myself before the rod of ebay for mere scraps.

And yes, there were shipping discounts exclusive to TRS in the beginning. I think that what happened is that they were eventually granted to everyone... But don't get me started... being charged 10% by ebay on shipping eliminates much of the discount, and is just greedy on their part.

As Tom Waits has noted: The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.  

OK, signing off from this thread. Good Bye and have a nice day.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@modern-artifact

I am not trying to convince you to go after TRS status.  I'm merely trying to explain some misunderstanding you have about the program.  You have every right to do as you see fit for your business.

"...10% is not enticing. I mean how high do you jump when retailers offer 10% off on goods? not too high I imagine.  Well, this is the same thing, but with punishment if you don't jump. "  I'm not at all sure I understand this position.  If the 10% discount is not important to you, then why would the loss of it be a "punishment"?

"The 45 day mandatory return was the last straw for me, it was cold-hearted evil."  There is NO SUCH THING!!  I tried to explain that in my earlier post, but obviously I did not do a very good job, sorry!  There is no such requirement on Ebay for any seller level.  So you are holding something against Ebay that they are NOT doing.

"And yes, there were shipping discounts exclusive to TRS in the beginning."  YES you are absolutely correct, in your earlier post you said they were if your listing was TRS Plus and that is incorrect.  YES, TRS does get shipping discounts and they STILL DO! 

You keep using TRS and TRS Plus as if they were interchangable acronyms and they are NOT!  They mean two different things.  It appears to me that much of your frustration with Ebay is due to a misunderstanding of how these programs work.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply