cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 2018 Spring & Summer Changes

Is it me, or does it seem that ebay continues to focus their business model on the BUYER and NOT the SELLER. I have become more and more frustrated with the ebay experience as a seller each time they roll out a new change.  Forcing top rated sellers (by holding their top rated seller discounts hostage), to offer 30 day returns?  That is NOT fair on such items as holiday items and costume jewelry.  I have experienced buyers using the items for an event or outing and returning them.   And now...they're going to eventually force us into a 'box' with what to charge for postage?   This whole 'guaranteed delivery' program is a joke....it only works (using USPS) if the Post Office is flawless in their delivery of a package which I have personally not experienced in some time.   I have started using Mercari, their listing process is 1000% simpler, they have way better shipping contracts negotiated, AND the Seller does not have to pay a % of the amount charged for shipping.  

Totally frustrated.........I guess ebay is focusing their business model on high volume sellers, not us lower volume sellers.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: New 2018 Spring & Summer Changes

If you look at all of Ebay's changes in the last 8 years they favor buyers,larger sellers, and the Chinese.If they spent the money on advertising instead of wasting money on more customer service to deal with these bad policies everyone would do well like in the past.I am approaching retirement age just looking to finish my career without changes and hassles.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

If they didn’t have policies that favored and protected buyers they would have no buyers. Customers have unlimited shopping opportunities and won’t stay where they are not valued.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Hi!  I just spent 1/2 hr + talking to a supervisor to clarify the top rated plus seller badge & discount  update: 

Top Rated Plus update

“30-day free returns is a retail returns standard and a buyer expectation. Starting June 1, 2018, Top Rated Sellers will be required to offer 30-day free returns to be eligible to receive Top Rated Plus benefits. eBay Top Rated Sellers earn those benefits by offering an elevated experience to their buyers. When you offer 30-day free returns, you’re offering a superior retail returns experience.”

And the conclusion I came to, as I am against offering free returns, is not as bad as it seems.  If we do not offer free returns but qualify as top rated we will still get a badge, and an addition discount on final value fees (if you own a store), but not quite as much as a "plus" seller with "free" returns.  And I told the person I spoke to that eBay MUST put clarification out there as I looked for a long time and could not find anything.  Their announcement does not clarify this and will chase away lots of sellers, as I was considering leaving.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

they dont have unlimited opportunities to get what i sell at the prices i sell at. you dont know what you re talking about but parroting ebay 1 size fits all

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

On the flip side, if there's nothing good for sale here, the buyers won't buy.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

As one of the eBay customer service people told me, "it's an internal policy eBay does not publish." Which means, we are running our own business but aren't allowed to know the rules.
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Tell us a little more about MERCARI please. How are sales? Do you sale the same things there that you do here? And is it as scammy as what I've heard elsewhere? ✌️
Message 22 of 23
latest reply

and I pretty much agree with you.

"focus their business model on the BUYER and NOT the SELLER"

"holding their top rated seller discounts hostage"

"I guess ebay is focusing their business model on high volume sellers, not us lower volume sellers."

I always start off by saying I like ebay and I do but not nearly as much as I did.  Ebay, at one time, was such a great marketplace for individuals and small sellers.  Those days are long. long gone. Ebay is understandably a money making business and they now make the bulk of their money from big box brands, large companies and Chinese sellers.  That is the bread and butter.

Small store subscriptions have gone from 14.96 to $22, promoted listing credits have been taken away from basic store sellers, postage discount have decreased, top-rated sellers status means nothing, top rated plus seller requirements are not feasible for the little guys, fees overall have increased, we get charged fvf fees on shipping, little control over returns, low visibility, if you do not accept returns or jump through the TRS + hoops your business pretty much dies and you must pay high promoted listing fees just to get  sale. Plus, God only knows how much the fees are going to be with the other company since paypal is being phased out since ebay selected another payment processor.

And now that ebay has automated returns and pretty much auto deducts auto returns from your account they will need less staff and put even more $'s in their pockets.

It's frustrating because, in my case, I tried so very hard to achieve the benchmarks and, at one time, I was really proud of it, but you cannot count on anything for long because of the constant, not in favor of the small seller changes so there is really no reward for us longtime small timers.

I still buy on ebay and I still sell on ebay but much less of both. It's a vicious cycle. It is so hard to sell anything now unless you are willing to acquiesce to all the new demands. If you do offer 30 days returns any reason and use promoted listing you are lucky if you break even at the end of the month with the promoted listing fees and such and you open yourself up to higher returns - customers can (and do) now use their items for 30 days and send it on back and get auto refunded.

If you do not give in to the demands your sales plummet even further.

I am still top rated but do not get anything for it (no visibility) because I do not jump through the hoops so in return sales go down even further.

I will miss my top rated number by 3  in three weeks with 97 sales and already received the red exclamation that my top-rated status is in jeopardy. No consideration for all the years of hundreds of sales. Dip under 100 and bye bye top-rated.  A few years back, I'd really have cared about that and been crushed. 

Not any more.  I am more disgusted and truly disappointed.

I've downgraded my store, willingly given up TRS goals, do not offer returns and am doing my best to control costs by shipping in lightweight envelopes, printing my own labels vs costly labels purchases, recycling packing material whenever I can and looking at other selling platforms.

Without even realizing it until I thought about it -- my purchases have nosedived as well.  In 2015 and  2016 I purchased hundreds of items each year. In 2017 not as much as 2018 way WAY less.  I guess without thinking about it I was getting disgusted and that subconsciously affected my buying decision and I have been shopping more elsewhere.  I've actually been shopping on Amazon. I wonder if others are doing the same.

In my opinion, that is a better way to protest - not making purchases - since it seems that many of the smaller sellers also make purchases on ebay.  No scientific prooof just what I see. So just don't buy - that will have an impact!

Message 23 of 23
latest reply