cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative feedback from a scammer

I am a top rated seller. I have been here since 1999. 100% positive feedback as a seller. Feedback left for me is a love fest to the point of being yucky. 

I sold a projector lens to a buyer. He emailed me when he got it claiming it had "sever" damage on it. He meant "severe". As someone who has dealt with scammers in the past, bad spelling is one of their traits and throughout my messaging with him, he sounded like English was not his first language. He is in America. 

When he finally sent me a picture of the lens, it was clear that he had simply used a marker on the lens to fake scratches on the lens. The big, wide  "Z", almost Zorro sign scratch, was so obvious. I figured he was fishing for a partial refund but I had no proof since he was being coy. I then offered him a small amount for the scratch. He countered by demanding half the price of the lens.  I refused. I told him to return the lens for a full refund and told him I would file a claim with the USPS.

That set him off. He said he would not deal with me anymore. He also said he would not return the lens because that would prevent me from reselling it to another unsuspecting buyer. Yes, what a nice man, and I am a bad, bad seller. He then concluded by assuring me I would not be getting positive feedback.

Stop and think about it; would you accept to keep a lens that was so severely damaged that it cannot be used? Especially when you can return it for a full refund? At no expense to you? Why would you keep a projector  lens so badly damaged to be unusuable? Any legitimate buyer given the severe damage shown on this lens would have opened up a return right away.

He left me negative feedback yesterday claiming I sold him a damaged lens without declaring it. I called eBay and explained my side. The picture he sent was there to see. His email saying no positive feedback for me was there. Yet the eBay representative in the claims department refused to remove the feedback. I asked what about the feedback threat? She said the wording was ambiguous. What about the scam itself. She said she was not an expert and could not tell.

Ebay will not protect it sellers. It will not use common sense in deciding cases. Imagine I sold you a car that was badly damaged in an accident as in perfect condition. Would you return the car for a full refund or would you keep the car because you were trying to prevent me from selling it to someone else? Because scammers are angels who care about others? 

I am not going to make a rash decision on what to do next but I have soured heavily on eBay. To quote a certain president, "so unfair, so unfair". 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Nice rant! I completely agree with you. Unfair, unfair!

What a great guy! You've found the Gandhi of ebay!

I'd leave a professionally worded reply to the feedback-- this one is exactly 80 characters--

Offered paid return + full refund or assist with insurance claim. Buyer refused

It tells your buyers that you offer great customer service, and that your buyer was less than cooperative. And then motor on.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Agree completely with moo, by your own admission you have great feedback, so leave a great follow-up and don't worry about it.   You get to keep your money, which is a good thing.  

If you have sold that long and this is the first negative, fair or unfair, that is amazing.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for the feedback suggestion. I was thinking of something along those lines.

I thought I read somewhere once you replied to a negative feedback, it cannot be removed? I hope not. I have reported the buyer as well, but I am not holding my breath. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Unfortunately you aren`t the first to come here for the exact same issue. It wasn`t long ago I read of another seller here that sold a lens and their buyer claimed the same issue. I wouldn`t be surprised at all if it was the same buyer. It would be interesting to look at their "feedback left for others".

I would have just replied to your buyer, "sorry you aren`t happy with the item, please return for a refund". The end. I don`t see ebay changing the way they decide these issues any time in the near future. Moo cow gave some excellent advice with a professional type reply IMO. The reply moo cow crafted also send a message.......I don`t do partial refunds and your negative feedback doesn`t hurt me. Most potential buyers will see it for what it is.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@slati_2013

It took some time, but I've had one neg removed in my entire time here. I had replied professionally. The buyer violated policy in messages, trying to strong arm a refund. So, it can happen. I can't speak for anyone else though, and it was a couple of years ago already.

With all the recent kerfluffle on the boards here lately about sellers getting negs removed, I'm thinking it's going to be harder going forward. I'm already building a library of ready replies. That way I don't reply impulsively and end up hurting myself more in the long run.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

There are some negative feedbacks which can actually turn out to be good ones.  If it clearly shows the buyer in the wrong and shows the seller in a good light, then it can work to your advantage.  

I always have felt that some people go looking for victims, and feedback can offer clues for them.   I'd much rather have a negative than a comment thanking me for a quick refund with no need to return or easy to work with---you get the idea. 

One of my buyers gave me the dreaded easy to work with feedback and I wanted that removed.   I wanted to scream noooooo.....we had no interactions.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

That set him off. He said he would not deal with me anymore.

Lucky you.  I would make sure to add the ID to the BBL as well as using the "report buyer" link.   I understand the red donut is annoying, but ebay's answer was to make feedback not count against your seller rating anymore. 

So the "threat" of a neg is sort of akin to a buyer telling you...."do as I say or I will smack you with this wet noodle".  

You can always call again, and get a different CS person.  Sometimes it takes a few calls and quoting the policy before any action is taken. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

eBay has always allowed buyers to leave feedback about the transaction.  Nothing has changed in your 20 year history here.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Yep. BTDT. "Easy to work with" doesn't always mean partial refunds given etc.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

There are some negative feedbacks which can actually turn out to be good ones.  If it clearly shows the buyer in the wrong and shows the seller in a good light, then it can work to your advantage.  

I thought about that as well. I think I was targeted because I had perfect feedback and he was sure I would pay to keep it that way. The thought crossed my mind but I was so upset at the scam that I decided the negative which I knew would come, was better than giving in to the feedback threat. I also agree it sends a message to future scammers that I will not yield to their scams. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I know eBay allows feedback about transactions. This was a bogus feedback built on attempted scam. Ebay says the threat of negative feedback is cause to remove a negative feedback yet the CS I spoke to seemed to be an English major who went into a lengthy parsing of why the threat really was not that clear. 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@slati_2013 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback suggestion. I was thinking of something along those lines.

I thought I read somewhere once you replied to a negative feedback, it cannot be removed? I hope not. I have reported the buyer as well, but I am not holding my breath. 

It still can, although it may be easier if there is no response.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I did report the buyer. I do understand it does not affect my ratings and is not a defect, but the brazen nature of this attempted scam angers me.

It seems he is scamming sellers by claiming damage, getting most of his money back, and now he has the item to sell again.  He has a feedback count of only 26.  It seems this is his business model. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I reported the buyer. I will wait a bit and then try again, hoping I get someone else. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply