cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing to "Doll Up" my listings

Hello Everyone!

What's the best way to dress up my listings via template?  

Seller Sourcebook, Ink Frog?....etc?

Please help....and, of course, I don't wanna pay alot.  =P

Thanks, in advance, for any and all advise.

Brenda Sue

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

HI, Brenda Sue:

I think that while listings that are "dolled up" as you say may look great; I don't think they influence sales, as others have stated, so I don't think they justify the expense.  Of course, if you like their look, and don't mind the expense, that is your call!

I know you asked for advice, not opinions, but these opinions are advice as they are saying they don't think it is a good idea and telling you why; so basically they are advising, or suggesting, that you save your money., while what you meant is, you really don't want advise, you just want to know where to go for templates.  I don't know if you will get many viewpoints on that as I don't think many sellers use them anymore; very sorry!

Your call, of course.  I've seen some really cute templates in the past, but you know, I buy and search a lot, and I haven't seen anyone use those in a very long time.  Even when I did see them, they were VERY rare.   Ebay used to offer their own versions but I believe they discontinued that a long time ago.  Possibly people decided it was an unnecessary expense so it really didn't make sense to keep offering it if no one was using it.  So it would seem to me that trend has  passed.  Just my observations.

Of course, totally up to you!  Good Luck to you!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Frankly, I don't think *dolled up* listings help make sales, but that is just my opinion.  I think the vast majority of them look junky, often cluttered, and distract from the merchandise that is actually being offered.

Of course, we may well deal in completely different merchandise areas and SHOP FOR different sorts of merchandise on eBay, but I strongly prefer simple, pure, basic, straight-forward, black & white, truthful & complete listings!  Those are the ones that present WHAT is being offered in a manner that is most easily absorbed and considered.

But I'm sure others will be along to actually answer your question.  Smiley Wink  Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Yes....my question was for answers....not opinions.  But I know the saying....everyone has one.

Guess I should have also asked for advise from actual sellers.

I'm not here very much....but when I am, I hope for being helped quickly.  

Have a wonderful rest of your day.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

You can have the prettiest, most dolled up listing on the entire internet, but if no one actually sees it, no one will know or buy.

Using catalog, or looks like catalog, pics so that your listing looks exactly the same as everyone elses is not the way to go.  You have to make your gallery pic loo different and stand out so that buyers will click on your listing and not just the cheapest or top one in the search results.

(*Bleep*)
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

@brendasue317 wrote:

Yes....my question was for answers....not opinions.  But I know the saying....everyone has one.

(a) Many people here use a secondary account (a "posting ID") to protect their privacy when they post.

(b) Insulting people is not a very good way to solicit advice.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

@brendasue317 wrote:

I would definitely look into wasting money 'dolling up' your listings. You can put lipstick on a...aw, nevermind. Whatever floats your boat. But I can guarantee that your buyers couldn't care less if you have dolled up listings or not. They want to know about your items.

From my experience (and yes, I know you didn't ask but I'm offering take it for what you will) pretty doesn't make a bit of difference. I used to use HTML and templates and all that jazz, but I've recently just gone with straight text and neither was better than the other. In fact, eBay has been known to add extra HTML and that messes with pretty listings.

Good luck on your quest for pretty. 

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

My advice to you would be to stop centering all of the text in your listings as our eyes are not designed to read stuff that way.

Also, why are you putting everything in your store into the "Other" category? Since you are showing your store categories in your individual listings it might make sense to have the items in categories so someone looking at one particular listing can see that you have a variety of items and can choose a category they are interested in.

And I started selling here in 1999, and used to use all kinds of fancy templates etc but at some point in time they don't seem to make a difference anymore. I know you are trying to achieve a "brand" look but I think in today's world people just want to see the product without all the fancy extra stuff that might or might not even look right on their mobile devices.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

HI, Brenda Sue:

I think that while listings that are "dolled up" as you say may look great; I don't think they influence sales, as others have stated, so I don't think they justify the expense.  Of course, if you like their look, and don't mind the expense, that is your call!

I know you asked for advice, not opinions, but these opinions are advice as they are saying they don't think it is a good idea and telling you why; so basically they are advising, or suggesting, that you save your money., while what you meant is, you really don't want advise, you just want to know where to go for templates.  I don't know if you will get many viewpoints on that as I don't think many sellers use them anymore; very sorry!

Your call, of course.  I've seen some really cute templates in the past, but you know, I buy and search a lot, and I haven't seen anyone use those in a very long time.  Even when I did see them, they were VERY rare.   Ebay used to offer their own versions but I believe they discontinued that a long time ago.  Possibly people decided it was an unnecessary expense so it really didn't make sense to keep offering it if no one was using it.  So it would seem to me that trend has  passed.  Just my observations.

Of course, totally up to you!  Good Luck to you!

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Thank you so much!...for an answer and advise.

I've never been able to master the catagories.

Can you help me with that?

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

It looked to me as though you are using stock photos from the manufacturer. If you are doing those photos yourself from the items you actually have in your hand, then there is nothing more to do!  However, if you are using stock photos from the manufacturer make sure  you have permission to use them and are paying the manufacturer to use them.  But also consider that many buyers do not buy from listings with stock photos because they assume you are a big company in China.  I would rather see an item photod nicely on your own dining room table that I can see you actually have and know you can accurately describe the item because you have seen it (preferably the very one I am bidding/buying). I stopped using templates and decorations after about the second month on Ebay and it didnt affect my sales on bit and I stopped paying extra to use them in my listings.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

The more dolled up wording and templates in your listings are only going to lower your placement in search results. 

Search algorithms look for specific key words that relate to the item being searched.   The more clutter,   the more likely the search is going to by pass your listings because they will deem them  not relevant. 

You are better off with clean and accurate descriptions.   

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

I did not know that!  

Great advise....thanks so much!

I guess all I need to do then, is work with my catagories.

😃

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

There are item specifics in every listing.    You are better off making sure you tick and fill out  as many of those as  you can. 

I know that in fabric,  just getting the first one right,  fabric,   is the most important.  

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Agree you should stop with the centering but cut the marketing fluff and provide just the facts.

cult fave of beauty insiders for totally effortless contouring.

Why you'll love it:
Define your cheekbones, perfect your nose and sculpt your jawline with this palette of blendable powders in universal shades to match your skin tone.
Redefine yourself:
As the contour experts, Smashbox has you covered. This kits offer step-by-step tips on defining and sculpting every face shape.
Formulated without parabens, sodium lauryl sulfate, phthalates and fragrance.
Includes:
Thanks so much for looking at my items
Please check out my other listings

Down to just this:
Includes 3 powders to contour, bronze and highlight, Angled contour brush and styling guide. This item is new, never used and comes in the original box  100% Authentic From a smoke/pet free environment
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

So you wish to advise us that you do not want advice?

Message 15 of 28
latest reply