cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need your help PLEASE with problem buyer

Hello,

Heres the scenario with a problem buyer (who is now on my blocked bidder list) 

buyer wins several of my auctions. I dont sell or ship internationally anymore because of being burned many, many, many times by international scammers. I set up no international shipping on all of our items to prevent being screwed by international scammers again.

Buyer is registed in another country but uses a us shipping address (not sure how he was allowed to place a bid on our items in the first place since his country is on our blocked list) the tactic of being a international buyer that ships to a us mainland address, has turned out to be a scammer every single time on our dealings. for some reason international buyers ship to a us address then say they never got the item and file an ebay and paypal claim and also they do a charge back to their internatioanl bank account or credit card used (international paypal) so we have been bured by these type of buyers before.

fast forwars to today, the buyer won multiples items and requested for us to reduce the shippign costs as he thought what we are charging was to much in his opinion. we charge $2.99 per item and combine shipping by charging what the actual shipping costs is versus charging $2.99 for every item. he bought a few items that weight over the first class rate combined so due toi the weight of the package, we sent an invoice for $7.99, which is cheaper than the $8.45 Shipping quote that we got from the post office (so buyer is still paying less than what we will be charged for the shipping) buyer then proceeds to want to "negotiate" a fair shippign costs after we told him that the shipping charge we are charging is less than what the post office charges us 9basically, he was gettign a good deal and couldnt figure out he was getting a good deal) buyer then keeps sending me messags saying explain to him why i am charging him so much and that it should cost ess to ship his items. I told him I already explained it to him in the last 7-8 messages and if he continued, then I would put him on my block bidder list and refuse to allow him to buy from us in the future. I told him I would cancel his order if he kept being a problem (scammer alert) as he kept trying to get me to ship his itmes for super cheap.

buyer kept sending me messages sayign "lets negotiate a fair price"  and "lets meet somehwere in the middle on the shippign costs.

after getting these messages (up to this point buyer syill hasnt paid for the items) I cancelled his orders (based on problem with buyers shipping address as I dont sell to international buyers and then ship to whatever us mainland address they list with ebay) and placed him on my block bidder list. ebay sent me a message saying orders were cancelled since the buyer hasnt paid for the items yet and that I wil lget a refund for final value fees and that I can relist the itmes now. so I relisted them.

my questions are:

-I feel I was very patient with the buyer, but in your opinion did I do the right thing? would you have done the same thing?

- Since the buyer never paid for the items, can the buyer leave any type of negative feedback for me?

-and most importantly, since the buyer never paid for the items and I cancelled due to a problem with shipping to a us address for an international buyer, will ebay ding me a "defect" for these itmes (maybe cases closed without a seller resolution" or maybe "for cancelling orders" 

-is there anything else I need to do? as this buyer might try to "retaliate" against me some how as he is sure to be **bleep** that he didnt "get one over on me"

Thank you so much for listening and for any and all help/advice, thoughts and opinions on this. Thank you.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Need your help PLEASE with problem buyer

Also to add to the above:

I sent the buyer 3-4 messages when he kept askingfor a better rate, i told him "tell me what you want to pay for shippingand i will take the loss and pay the remainder of the shippign costs (for example:it costs $8.45 to ship, if buyer only wants to pay $3.00 then I would eat the loss and pay the remainder of the $5.00 (trying to make it easier for the buyer) he never responded back to what he thought was "fair" to pay but indstead kept sayign  "lets negotiate a price? like, 3-4 times

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I would have filed UID.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I would have made sure my Paypal setting didn't allow payments from International Banks (non-USA)

and then filed the UID.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

What is a UID?

and is there anywhere in EBAY i can set my settings to not allow international buyers with a usa shipping address to bid on/buy my items? the loop hole with international scammers is to be based in another country but "ship" to a US address?

Thanks

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Also, no payment was recieved by buyer (I jut went into my paypal account and  "blocked International payments" (didnt know I could do that) thanks!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

A UID is an unpaid item dispute.  You open it after 48 hrs and close it after 96 more.  You get your fees back and the buyer gets a strike.  Just two and they won't be able to buy from most sellers.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@hoflegends

@hoflegendswrote:

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

What is a UID?

and is there anywhere in EBAY i can set my settings to not allow international buyers with a usa shipping address to bid on/buy my items? the loop hole with international scammers is to be based in another country but "ship" to a US address?

Thanks

The UID or UPI is the Unpaid item claim Sellers can process in eBay's Resolution Center after 2 days (96 hours to the minute) or later of no payment.  Once a Seller processes that claim eBay messages the Buyer advising them they have 4 days (to the minute btw) to pay for the items.  If the items are paid for within that period Seller ships ... if not Seller goes to the claim and closes it and can Relist after that.  Adding Buyers to their BBL is usually a good idea once a UID or UPI claims has been initiated and then ignore messages from the Buyer.

We've sold to a number of international Buyers using Freight Forwarding companies wihtout issue but none have tried to strong arm us in to reducing the shipping cost.  YOUR Buyer was being rediculous trying get YOU to eat part of their shipping cost ... I would have also Reported them to eBay via the Report Buyer link.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yes, violation, asking for something not in the listing and negotiating after the fact.  Shipping is not negotiable.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thank you all.

Does anyone know if by canceling these transactions if ebay will count them as a "defect" agaisnt my account/seller rating? 

Thanks

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@hoflegendswrote:

Thank you all.

Does anyone know if by canceling these transactions if ebay will count them as a "defect" agaisnt my account/seller rating? 

Thanks

If you cancelled for "problem with address", there is no defect. If your buyer calls eBay and raises a stink, then you might get a strike if they determine the cancel to not be legitimate. Since your buyer is international (which I presume is also not Canada), you probably needn't be worried about this, calling won't be worth the time and expense to him. He will probably go off and scam someone else.

What I have learnt with most scammers, is they disappear after they get you once for free merchandise or a bogus refund. I've only encounted one scammer in my entire career on eBay that attempted to scam me a second time (and when I found out who he was, I cancelled... he left me one neg every single day until he'd run out of items to leave negs on, each more ugly than the last, accusing me of manipulating FB and lying to eBay). An hour a day on the phone as I got each removed, got a new case number, phone back tomorrow with all the case numbers and get the next one removed. But somehow after all that he didn't get kicked off...

Your scammer probably won't bother with you, too risky for him, he wants to keep scamming, he'll pick on another target.

Cheers, C.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@hoflegendswrote:

I cancelled due to a problem with shipping to a us address for an international buyer, will ebay ding me a "defect" for these itmes 

If your buyer had a USA shipping address then he was in compliance with eBay's terms - and you were wrong to cancel based on a "problem with his address". There was no problem with his address, the problem was your understanding of how eBay works. 

eBay does not permit you to block buyers based on where they live; you can only block buyers based on their shipping address. He was allowed to bid because he had a shipping address that met the criteria you set forth in your listing. And until he paid and you received the shipping address from PayPal, you could not possibly have known whether there was a problem or not. 

The proper procedure would have been to file an unpaid item dispute.

And if it were me, I would have sent one invoice with the combined shipping, and if he questioned it I would have explained that I was charging him less than the actual cost of shipping. Then I would have stopped communicating any further.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply