cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need an advice - is this a scam?

Trying to sell my iMac. Already had someone try to scam me on Saturday, that one was was a more obvious one.

This time someone with a fresh 0 feedback account sent me an offer (at exact price of the item, not lower or higher), and asked to send him my PayPal email through PayPal invoice, or text him to what looks like a US phone number, because he wants to ship to his US address (account is out of Spain). His email is very generic too (johnsmith/janedoe type). 

This is a scam right? 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Need an advice - is this a scam?

It's too easy for these scammers to create new eBay ids where they can constantly be one step ahead of anyone trying to shut them down.  All you need is an email address and you can bid or make offers.  We used to be able to require a valid Paypal address for bids or offers, but that's gone now.  So, they don't need to give any real information, like credit card numbers or valid id of any kind, and they're free to scam away.  

This has got to stop!  It is simple enough for eBay to give explicit warnings to new sellers about this specific scam instead of expecting them to find it on the Community Board.  eBay has an obligation to take their head out of the sand and do more to stop this.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Thanks everyone for info! I already declined the offer, and took the Best offer function off. Less hassle 🙂 thanks again! 

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

For goodness sake, how many years has it been since we've been blocked from giving buyers a negative?

a few …… lol
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

So ive been digging for hours to prove you and i right or wrong. Archives to old. Nothing visible. I found an email from july 1999.

Buyer..... Im trying to buy your charred guardian shield for $15 but its saying i cant. I just made account for this shield.
Seller me....let me raise my low feedback filter to 5.
Buyer....thank you i got it where in game can we meet?

This was back when i was young and sold in game items before ebay disallowed it. Now i dont remember this as it was 20 years ago. But if the buyer just signed up they would have zero feeback. If they only had a negative i assure you i wouldnt have changed my setting to sell to them.

It is what it is.
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@cashvaluerecovery2011 wrote:
So ive been digging for hours to prove you and i right or wrong. Archives to old. Nothing visible. I found an email from july 1999.

Buyer..... Im trying to buy your charred guardian shield for $15 but its saying i cant. I just made account for this shield.
Seller me....let me raise my low feedback filter to 5.
Buyer....thank you i got it where in game can we meet?

This was back when i was young and sold in game items before ebay disallowed it. Now i dont remember this as it was 20 years ago. But if the buyer just signed up they would have zero feeback. If they only had a negative i assure you i wouldnt have changed my setting to sell to them.

It is what it is.

please don't make things up. 

Message 20 of 20
latest reply