cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with Buyer, Says item was delivered to another house

Hi!

I appreciate any help! 🙂

I sold a ring the other day, and it shows as delivered on Thursday. Today on Friday, the buyer opened on PayPal a "Non-receipt Dispute" case and they said this in their message:

"My postal carrier delivered the package to another address.. When she went to retrieve the package the denied having.. So the post office told me to file a case.. The seller didn't add any insurance to my package and at $4.11 paid shipping I thought insurance was included.. Usps case number :"

I left the case number out in case it's not allowed or something.

I did add insurance with the Shipcover, so the buyer is wrong in that, I do have the Shipcover insurance on the ring.

I need help, because I don't know how to approach this! What should I do in this situation?

Thanks sooo much for any help with this! 🙂

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

That one I actually can't answer as I haven't had to do it myself... hopefully someone who has can instruct you on exactly how to do it.  Don't do anything yet until someone tells you what you need to do!  Also, DON'T escalate it to PayPal-- there's no need to do that.

Fortunately, however, INR cases are an easy win for the seller as long as you have the tracking that shows it was delivered, so you don't need to worry too much about this.  🙂

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

If tracking shows "Delivered," all you have to do is upload that to the case and it will be closed in your favor.  The ball is in the buyer's court now to find out what THEIR local PO did with their package.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

@hotinarizona

Do as yuzuha advised: make sure you enter the delivery confirmation into the resolution center.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Buyer's story is ridiculous; don't follow them down that rabbit hole. Just upload the tracking number to the dispute where indicated & get the case closed out. I have this feeling that if you did get in contact with the buyer's local carrier, they would have no knowledge of any of this.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Thanks so much! 🙂

It already has the tracking number on the side in the resolution center, do I have to put the tracking number somewhere else? I'm not seeing an option that says to enter it. Do I add it in a "Message Buyer"?

How do I close it in my favor? Is it the "Escalate to PayPal" option?

Thanks so much again! 🙂 Sorry if these are basic questions, I haven't done this before :).

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

That one I actually can't answer as I haven't had to do it myself... hopefully someone who has can instruct you on exactly how to do it.  Don't do anything yet until someone tells you what you need to do!  Also, DON'T escalate it to PayPal-- there's no need to do that.

Fortunately, however, INR cases are an easy win for the seller as long as you have the tracking that shows it was delivered, so you don't need to worry too much about this.  🙂

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

I did add insurance with the Shipcover, so the buyer is wrong in that, I do have the Shipcover insurance on the ring.

File the claim.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Thanks a lot! 🙂

I hope someone would be able and willing to give me some more directions. I don't want to mess something up! I know you say don't worry about this, but I am worrying about it! 😛

I want to mention too, that in the PayPal resolution center, I only get 2 options: "Message Buyer" and "Offer Full Refund"

I don't understand, the tracking shows that it was delivered to the correct zip code.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

I think the ShipCover thing said it would be a good idea to wait till July 14th to file a claim for lost packages. I never filed a claim before.

If I did file a claim, wouldn't I lose the claim? The package shows delivered in the tracking, and if I filed a claim for a lost package they could see it wasn't lost since it shows delivered.

I feel like I'm in a pickle. cry

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Did you click on message buyer? You might then see an area where you can enter the tracking number. If not, phone Paypal. I had a recent paypal claim and the item was shown as delivered later that day. I phoned PP, they looked at the tracking information and told me that I was defintely covered and that the case would be closed in a few days. It actually took about a week but it was closed in my favor.

I've always found PP very easy to deal with on the phone.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@hotinarizona wrote:

I sold a ring the other day, and it shows as delivered on Thursday. Today on Friday, the buyer opened on PayPal a "Non-receipt Dispute" case and they said this in their message:

"My postal carrier delivered the package to another address.. When she went to retrieve the package the denied having.. So the post office told me to file a case.."

@hotinarizona

Sounds to me that your buyer is just about as clueless as you are about how to proceed.

First of all, I really doubt your buyer's postal carrier told him/her to file a PayPal case.  Most have no idea of how eBay words let alone the proper procedures about how to deal with an INR case.  What the postal carrier probably told your buyer was that they needed to file a "Missing Mail Request" with the USPS which is a totally different thing. 

"The seller didn't add any insurance to my package and at $4.11 paid shipping I thought insurance was included.. Usps case number :" 

Where the buyer is getting the idea that the package wasn't insured was probably from the postal carrier.  Since you didn't purchase insurance THROUGH USPS as far as they can tell/are concerned the package wasn't insured as they would have no knowledge/way to access any info about insurance purchased from a third-party.

Good.  That will be helpful.  (See below.)

I need help, because I don't know how to approach this! What should I do in this situation?  

Thanks sooo much for any help with this! 🙂

Before doing anything, let's go back to basics and make sure you have those covered...

1.  Did you ship the item to the address provided by PayPal?

2. Is this address the same one as appears in the Transaction Record for this item on eBay?

3. Did you create the USPS mailing label via eBay or did you go to the PO and purchase your postage there?

4. Did you ship the package with Tracking?

5. If you went to the PO to purchase the postage, do you have a printed receipt that includes the Tracking #?

6. When you look up this sale in your Sold Listings on eBay, does that same Tracking # appear there?

7. Do you have a printed confirmation from ShipCover for the insurance you purchased?

Please answer these questions first, and then we can figure out where to go from there.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

OP, if you shipped to the address on the paypal payment and the tracking now shows delivered - then that is all that you need.

Your buyer is lying to try to get you to feel so bad that you'll refund them.  It has probably worked with some other newbie sellers and figured to try it on you.  Although you sold it on another id, it is obvious that you are a newbie, I'll bet less than ten selling feedback and you listed high dollar/high risk items on it.

Find the box to enter the tracking number in the case - then send that to the pal and you might want to back up by entering the tracking number in a message to the buyer about how they should be dealing with their incompetent postal workers themselves.  Then call paypal and have them look at the tracking and the message and do what they tell you.  I have always had good luck dealing with paypal CS.

(*Bleep*)
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

If I did file a claim, wouldn't I lose the claim?

I don't know with shipcover; if it were a USPS claim and it was filed properly, you would win.  What I do know is that it is your obligation to file the claim, because the buyer can't.

FWIW, it seems like more than half of these parcels turn up in a few days, which is why the claim window may not yet be open.  Hopefully that occurs and solves everybody's dilemma.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

hotinarizona wrote:
"My postal carrier delivered the package to another address.. When she went to retrieve the package the denied having.. So the post office told me to file a case.."

livadia said:
"First of all, I really doubt your buyer's postal carrier told him/her to file a PayPal case. "

-----------------

It doesn't say that. It says 'file a case' which I would take to mean with the USPS which the OP did.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I'd start with talking to my postmaster and have them call the buyers postmaster and get to the bottom of the buyers story before I started filing an insurance fraud against the Feds.

(*Bleep*)
Message 15 of 27
latest reply