cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Guidance: Buyer gave negative feedback with Box Damage Refund Scam

Hi, All!

I have been selling on eBay periodically for 10 years, with 300 reviews and 100% positive feedback since the beginning. Never a bad review.

Here is the situation for which I am looking for some guidance: 

• Several days ago, I sold a $17 Lego set. Shipping was USPS Priority Mail for $12.
  • It was packed very well in a sturdy box with an ample amount of bubble wrap.
  • It was delivered to the Buyer in Michigan on time.
  • Earlier today (Wednesday, December 18th), I got a request for a refund from the Buyer. He claims the Lego box was severely damaged. 
  • The Buyer also gave me negative feedback at the same time he requested the refund. I had no opportunity to correct the problem before getting the negative feedback.
  • I requested pictures of the damaged box, and he sent me a picture of the damaged contents, the Lego box, not the exterior shipping box. (Please see pictures, attached.)
  • When I told him I needed pictures of the shipping box in order to start the USPS insurance process (via the Priority Mail insurance), he sent me additional pictures.
  • The problem is, the pictures the Buyer sent me of the damaged shipping box are NOT of the box I used to ship this Lego set. The box for which he sent pictures has Priority Mail tape on it (which I don't have), and is far too big for the product I sent. It is also a box from Amazon competitor Jet, and it is NOT the box I used. (Again, please see the pictures.)
  • After seeing the shipping box pictures and realizing that they were not of the box I shipped to him, and thinking that this looks like a refund scam, I then requested from the Buyer a picture of the shipping label I sent him actually adhered to the damaged box.
  • Since I use 1/2 page adhesive labels and tape them down to ensure there is no chance they will lift off if placed on any shipping tape used to seal the box, there is no way the Buyer could claim the the label had become detached from the box.
  • The Buyer has not yet responded to my request for a picture of the damaged box WITH my shipping label attached to the box. In fact, I don't believe he will send me one.
  • If the Buyer did send me a picture of the damaged box with my shipping label adhered to it, I could start the USPS insurance process, but I don't expect this to happen. The Buyer won't show me my box since the box I sent him is likely in good shape.
  • HOWEVER, it is the negative feedback that is really bothering me. I want that removed.
  • To put this behind me, I would agree to refund the full amount and let the guy keep the Lego set. But I want to get the negative feedback removed.
  • Unfortunately, I do not expect the Buyer to do this for me or cooperate in the removal of the negative feedback.
  • Will eBay help me? Any thoughts on how to proceed?
  • I believe that If I refund the purchase and let this Buyer/scammer keep the Lego set without him first removing the negative feedback, eBay will likely consider this an admission of fault on my behalf. Yes?
  • Again, I am looking for guidance on how to get this negative feedback removed by eBay. Any thoughts?

Thank you! 

Jeff

Damaged Box 1.jpgdamaged box 4.jpgDamaged box 3.jpgDamaged Box 2.jpg

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Need Guidance: Buyer gave negative feedback with Box Damage Refund Scam

@jsb-chicago wrote:

Hi Everyone!

-

Jeff, the Seller who posted the original message here....

-

The eBay Community is a great group! Thank you all for your responses. They were very helpful.

-

Using some of the ideas in the many replies I received, I wrote back to the Buyer and gently suggested that I knew he was scamming me. Surprise, surprise. He CLOSED the refund request with no action required on my part.

-

It's nice to know that I don't have to refund the money anymore; however, I still have the negative feedback from him.

I appealed to him and his "good sense" via an eBay message, asking him if he would remove the negative feedback. If he doesn't reply to my initial request, I am thinking of offering him an incentive of a refund of half his shipping fee, $6.00, to incentivize him to action. Any thoughts on this? I hate to reward him....

-

OR, is it possible that eBay, seeing the history of this transaction and recognizing that the Buyer closed the case with no action on my part after less than a day, will remove the negative feedback? Again, any thoughts?

-

Once again, thank you all for your help and advice. Happy Holidays!!!

-

Jeff

jsb-chicago

Don't offer that $$ incentive.  That is against the Ebay rules.  It could get you into trouble.  You are not allowed to trade money for FB.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Ebay is not going to remove the negative by themselves.  You are not a top-rated seller, you do not offer free returns, so you don't qualify for removal.  They couldn't care less how good your reputation has been up until now. 

Offering to refund money in exchange for removal of feedback is bribery.  It is illegal and unethical.  It is entirely against eBay's rules.  It could get you suspended. Not trying to be harsh with you, just hoping to have you see it from a different perspective.

You can live with that negative.  Sellers succeed in selling with negs on their accounts, often with many, many more than you have.    Ninety-nine percent of buyers never even look at feedback.  It is a blow to your pride, the first one you get really hurts, but it doesn't make you a bad seller, it doesn't stop buyers from buying from you. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Thank you! That is the guidance I was looking for, and that’s why I asked. I will not offer any incentive for removal of the negative feedback. I think you were right, it was my pride talking. Happy Holidays! Thank you again.
Jeff
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@jsb-chicago 

Even though your underhanded buyer closed the return request, be sure and report them using this new handy Seller Help Hub. https://www.ebay.com/help/seller-help?from=HELP_HUB Go to Request Assistance function. Ebay says they are now keeping better track of such things.

I'd still call and ask that they remove the neg. If that ultimately doesn't work, you can also add a nice reply to the red donut. Keep in mind that you will be addressing future prospective buyers, not this scammer stellar ebay citizen...

Here's my suggestion for a FB reply...exactly 80 characters--  Damaged outer shipping box not mine. All valid claims will be properly resolved.

Sometimes FB reply assistance threads can be quite amusing around here! Sorry this happened to you. Good luck!

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@snowbirdliquidations wrote:

They might not be replying back because they know they are caught

If they have filed an INAD, there is no reason for them to reply back, they know they will get their refund if they reply back or not.

If they file an INAD, you only have a few days to accept the return and provide return shipping.

If you don't and buyer ask Ebay to step in, they might refund the buyer from your Pay Pal account and let them keep the item.

Have a great day
Message 20 of 26
latest reply

Sad. Dropped you down to a 90% feedback even though all your other reviews are positive and glowing.

Reasonable people know you have zero control over people at shipping companies that sometimes damage packages.

What about the contents inside the box? Maybe I skipped that part, but did they initiate the refund solely due to the box damage? Seems kind of drastic. I know for a xmas gift the box intact would be nice, but how does ebay deal with box damages when the contents are fully functional. I guess in a way the listing is also for the box as well since there are also costs associated with the box and the whole presentation thing.

I'm dealing with a return now for an INAD because it didn't record, but did when I tested it. I'm sure it's going to arrive functional and I will still be out pp fees, eb fees, and shipping x2.

It's really at the point where a buyer could purchase a flat screen TV, hit it with a baseball bat, file an INAD return and the seller would still have to foot all the bills. I've been reading so many horror stories of what sellers have to go through this past week and it's sad.

Wish I had some valuable info to offer you 😞 .

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Thank you for your comments. And I’m sorry about your issues as well. It makes it hard to want to continue to sell on eBay.
Best wishes in the holiday season and good luck in the new year!
Jeff
Message 22 of 26
latest reply

I wouldn't send them anything.

Just remember even though they closed out the ebay case, they may still decide to try for a refund through PP or a cc.
Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Thank you. Excellent suggestion....
Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Myboardid hit it on the nail:
I received my first negative .Take a look at the positives I received after it, it almost looks like the buyers tried to make a point. If anything, my buyer who left the neg hurt herself.
So, don't worry about your neg, be proud of it, it makes you totally human and not a machine.
Don't let it get you down, just forget about it.
Hang in there, and happy Holidays to you!
Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Thank you! Excellent advice, especially when I’m powerless to fix it and I didn’t create the problem in the first place.
I hope you and your family have a great holiday season as well!
Jeff
Message 26 of 26
latest reply