cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPB ends up paying when UPI filed, then sends message

So this auction ended at $1. That's right... $1. First the buyer says they never bid on my item and I'm mistaken, I basically tell her to check her purchase history or if she claims it to be an error to take it up with ebay. Later on she comes back and says, okay the bid was accidental. By then the auto UPI files... so I just leave it at that.

She ends up paying on the last day before the UPI closes and gives her a strike. Then sends me this message:

"Hello. I am writing in response to a case that was opened against me regarding an unpaid item. I contacted you previously to explain that I accidentally bid on this item. Once I was made aware of the item through message and notification that is when I immediately contacted you to request that the item be canceled. The size of the shirt does not even match my actual size! So, again, cancel this order. I should not have to be required to pay for an item that I accidentally bid on or don't desire to purchase. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you."

I especially love the part in red. Because you know... I should've known that it isn't even her size!! And we can't expect a buyer to pay for something they bid on... that'd be crazy.

$1 auction people... ONE DOLLAR. Yea I know there's shipping price but come on now.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: NPB ends up paying when UPI filed, then sends message

And because she paid she can leave feedback.

While FB is not used by eBay to assess member accounts, a tiny number of your future customers might. And while you could leave a Response, it usually isn't a good idea, and you can't mention the Dispute anyway.

You are very much in the right, but wouldn't it  have been easier to cancel on request and move on?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

You definitely win the award for having the weirdest customers.

On what planet is the seller responsible for the buyers mistake?

Have e beer on me......

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Planet ebay, or course.  A world of its own. 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

A...

You are very much in the right, but wouldn't it  have been easier to cancel on request and move on?

After the unpaid item case has been opened, it's not possible to cancel.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

After she paid, you can cancel rather than ship.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Your mistakes were (1) not to cancel the purchase on the first notification from the buyer there was an issue and (2) your haughty response to "take it up with ebay".  

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I don't agree with you.

as a buyer here I would just pay the $1

why is the seller in the wrong here???

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@def.a.posting.id wrote:

as a buyer here I would just pay the $1

why is the seller in the wrong here???

Because you are a better buyer than your buyer is. Based on your account, it sounds like the first hint of a buyer problem came in before the UPI was opened. At that point you have the ability to cancel as Buyer Requested, and can re-list immediately.

Yes, the buyer is a numpty, but dragging it out until the UPI opens and forces her to pay does not improve your situation; it simply piles a possible Negative feedback on top of the complaining from a honked-off unwilling buyer. 

Not every buyer is going to be perfect, and their reasons for not wanting to pay can be ridiculous, but the best way to resolve this is to cut your ties with the knucklehead purchase up front, as soon as they request to be let out of it, so that you can move on to finding a better buyer. Also add this one to your Blocked Bidder List (here), of course.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Thanks all for the insights. So far everything mentioned here was already considered when I saw the first message from the buyer claiming that there was a mistake. @m60driver  I hope you realize I was paraphrasing.

No offense, but I’m starting to realize more and more how ebay got so out of hand with these entitled buyers. It’s not just one-sided where it’s caused only by ebay policy. It’s also the fear that sellers have (apparently even among the most seasoned and experienced sellers) to even follow the proper channels/methods allowed by ebay when situations like this occur... the fear of a buyer abuse or exploit. It’s already obvious (in many other posts), but this shows that sellers have close to no faith in the ebay system and/or it’s CS services.

With something this simple and quick, I have an issue with “pushing this buyer onto the next seller victim.” I don’t want to be part of the problem with enabling these buyers on eBay for the sake of the community if I can. I know many sellers are against filing UPIs out of fear... but that’s one of the last ounces of control ebay allows us, and I’m not going to give that up so lightly. Maybe I’m old school since I haven’t done auctions in the past 10+ years. I don’t think sellers have the right to complain about buyer entitlement when they allow buyers to do this.

I’m confident that whatever feedback the buyer may give me can be dealt with by ebay CS if it comes to that. This also includes the potential false SNAD. I don’t plan to continue any messages with the buyer. I’ve already relisted the item since I have duplicates (so I didn’t have the wait for the issue to close). It’s all pretty simple really. And even if I get an unremovable negative, I’m confident that I would be able to craft an appropriate reply. My account can very comfortably absorb this if need be... so I choose to utilize that freedom for a justified cause.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

First the buyer says they never bid on my item and I'm mistaken

That sounds exactly like a buyer requested cancellation to me. 

And we can't expect a buyer to pay for something they bid on... that'd be crazy.

On a venue where buyers have the ability to affect a seller' feedback, a seller's fee structure, and a seller's wallet ... what would be crazy would be trying to force a buyer to purchase an item the buyer clearly does not want. 

When you get an INAD, an empty return, a negative, or a retaliatory purchase then you'll know you've "won" this imaginary battle. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

stay strong.

you are not wrong.

buyers own this place and all the sellers too.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

No offense, but I’m starting to realize more and more how ebay got so out of hand with these entitled buyers. It’s not just one-sided where it’s caused only by ebay policy. It’s also the fear that sellers have (apparently even among the most seasoned and experienced sellers) to even follow the proper channels/methods allowed by ebay when situations like this occur... the fear of a buyer abuse or exploit.

I assure you this is not a matter of "fear;" it's simply business, and the difference between resolving an unworkable sale immediately and escalating it into a timewasting headache. 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

You definitely win the award for having the weirdest customers.

Have e beer on me......

Ebay's planet as always

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

First the buyer says they never bid on my item and I'm mistaken

That sounds exactly like a buyer requested cancellation to me. 

And we can't expect a buyer to pay for something they bid on... that'd be crazy.

On a venue where buyers have the ability to affect a seller' feedback, a seller's fee structure, and a seller's wallet ... what would be crazy would be trying to force a buyer to purchase an item the buyer clearly does not want. 

When you get an INAD, an empty return, a negative, or a retaliatory purchase then you'll know you've "won" this imaginary battle. 

I’m not forcing the buyer to purchase... filing a UPI is to give them a payment strike so they’d think twice about doing it again to anyone. The buyer is more than welcome to take the strike.

Believe me when I say I’m all too familiar with false SNADs, empty returns, negatives, and retaliatory purchases. All the ones that I have received have been handled correctly by me and/or ebay CS. “Imaginary”? You did see the message I showed from the buyer, right? That’s hardly imaginary... I didn’t make it up. I would hardly call this a battle as I’m confident ebay CS would handle all of this for me without lifting a finger. Okay, maybe just one finger... like a pinky.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply